2013 DCA World Championships Prelims

C2 got the real shaft. They should be on Cabs' heels. I loved Atlanta (my fav show of the night) but they aren't better than C2. Heck, Fusion was far better than Empire overall. Statesmen sounded great, no doubt. But there is almost no demand anywhere in the program, and with that choice they should be squeaky clean. They aren't. Fun and exciting? Yes. But 7th.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

I could not agree with you more on Reading was totally not into there show ,the ladders they spend more time moving then using them ,i got up and went to the kitchen to make a sandwich hoping they would be over by the time i got back .I found Minn. much more enjoyable to listen to and watch .

As much as I struggle with the entire CADETS 2 thing, they looked to be the cleanest in all the captions I understand (don't know percussion). I thought Cabs had the most exciting show; but I thought MBI took it to Bucs. Kilts, my bias, were very clean and entertaining....cleaner in brass and visual that the other bottom three corps, but without a DCA quality drum line and guard, stood no chance........they were better than a 79. Corpsvets were awesome...cleaner in every caption than any corps that preceded them. Cabs cannot execute drill with the speed and precision of the other top five corps...just my opinion.....loved it all, however.

2013 -------------2012----------difference

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Empire Statesmen 94.10 -- 90.75 = 3.35

Fusion Core 91.38-- 84.88 = +6.50

Atlanta CV 92.25 - 87.03 = + 5.22

Cadets2 93.55 -- 91.60 = +1.95

Caballeros 96.18 --- 94.83 = +1.35

Minnesota Brass, Inc. 96.70--- -85.80 = +.90

Buccaneers 97.98 - 98.50 = --.48

All you've shown me is that scores change on a yearly basis with different judges. Are you trying to tell me that, because the Bucs scored half a point lower than last year's prelims, they didn't deserve to win or that they're worse this year? That makes a slippery slope look like a Route 66 trip through Arizona. Nothing to do with tonight.

Edited by ChildrenOfAugmentation
  • Like 1

When I talked to Alan after their run, he laughed and said, "We had a GREAT run in all captions....our scores will probably drop about 3 points!" They are all keeping it in perspective, and VERY excited about their score and placement. Highest score and placement in corps history, and highest placement for any corps from Georgia. SO proud of all of them!!

They deserve to be happy. Make sure they know a lot of people found the results questionable and that they made a lot of new fans tonight. I saw the FN show from DCI Atlanta and I knew they had something great this year. They've gotten even cleaner and more refined since then and what they're doing now is really special.

All you've shown me is that scores change on a yearly basis with different judges. Are you trying to tell me that, because the Bucs scored half a point lower than last year's prelims, they didn't deserve to win or that they're worse this year? That makes a slippery slope look like a Route 66 trip through Arizona. Nothing to do with tonight.

I think what he's trying to communicate is that Reading isn't anymore spectacular this year than last year or the year before or the year before that etc. etc. on back to 2005.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Sunrisers take their uniform color scheme from the New York Islanders of the NHL...

Blue ,White and Orange are the colours of nassua county where the Sunrisers called home for many years .There also the colours for the Mets and the frist uniform pants of Sunrisers the blue with the orange strip where the pants the ushers used at Shea staduim .We ordered them from the Mets owner .

I think what he's trying to communicate is that Reading isn't anymore spectacular this year than last year or the year before or the year before that etc. etc. on back to 2005.

Scores from a different panel on a different night in a different year don't prove that at all, though. I think it's safe to argue that this is the hardest Reading show of all time, so a lower score is somewhat to be expected. Both the Bucs and MBI have shows that are on par or even above many junior corps in terms of difficulty with their show, and if the judges got one thing right this evening, it's that the Bucs and MBI were clearly the two best corps tonight and should be right with each other tomorrow night.

Scores from past years mean nothing. It's the same in DCI. This constant pursuit for the "highest score of all time" is completely nonsensical to me. It's great to set benchmarks on an individual corps basis, like a corps wanting to break 90 for the first time, but comparing a corps because a certain panel of judges combined to give them a score from a certain year, while an entirely different panel of judges combined to give them a slightly lower score another year is ridiculous. It means nothing. There is no correlation.

Further, it's not like I even said it was the best Buc show ever (even though I do think it is). I just said they deserved every bit of the victory. I'm from SC, I'm close to people in the MBI organization (in particular their indoor line), and I'd say I'm impartial. And impartial me is saying that MBI was absolutely incredible, but the Bucs were just a little bit more amazing. The entire reason I even said this is because I read the original post as, " I don't want the Bucs to win because they're the Bucs," which is just silly to me.

Edited by ChildrenOfAugmentation
  • Like 1

Scores from a different panel on a different night in a different year don't prove that at all, though. I think it's safe to argue that this is the hardest Reading show of all time, so a lower score is somewhat to be expected. Both the Bucs and MBI have shows that are on par or even above many junior corps in terms of difficulty with their show, and if the judges got one thing right this evening, it's that the Bucs and MBI were clearly the two best corps tonight and should be right with each other tomorrow night.

Scores from past years mean nothing. It's the same in DCI. This constant pursuit for the "highest score of all time" is completely nonsensical to me. It's great to set benchmarks on an individual corps basis, like a corps wanting to break 90 for the first time, but comparing a corps because a certain panel of judges combined to give them a score from a certain year, while an entirely different panel of judges combined to give them a slightly lower score another year. It means nothing. There is no correlation.

Further, it's not like I even said it was the best Buc show ever (even though I do think it is). I just said they deserved every bit of the victory. I'm from SC, I'm close to people in the MBI organization (in particular their indoor line), and I'd say I'm impartial. And impartial me is saying that MBI was absolutely incredible, but the Bucs were just a little bit more amazing. The entire reason I even said this is because I read the original post as I don't want the Bucs to win because they're the Bucs, which is just silly to me.

You're thinking too much. You intimated to me that I was missing something because the Buccs were spectacular this year. The other guy was basically pointing out to you that this is par for the course for the Buccs. They aren't anymore spectacular this year than any other of the last 8 years where they've ultimately scored the same regardless of panel, show, etc. etc. I would prefer somebody like MB win because, for me, they do a better job of marrying difficulty, accessibility, and listenability than does Reading.

I'm a fan. I enjoy some corps more than others and would like to see the ones I enjoy win. It's hardly silly. In fact, I think I even said I'm sure Reading probably deserved to win.

There is a kid in the pit who has just one arm but can play incredibly well. He's also the drum major for Medina High School near Rochester. I've heard nothing but awesome about him.

Wow. When I was a senior in h.s., our drum major (or "field commander" as we called them back then) broke an arm in gymnastics halfway through the season and successfully conducted one-handed after that, but ... wow.

You're thinking too much. You intimated to me that I was missing something because the Buccs were spectacular this year. The other guy was basically pointing out to you that this is par for the course for the Buccs. They aren't anymore spectacular this year than any other of the last 8 years where they've ultimately scored the same regardless of panel, show, etc. etc. I would prefer somebody like MB win because, for me, they do a better job of marrying difficulty, accessibility, and listenability than does Reading.

I'm a fan. I enjoy some corps more than others and would like to see the ones I enjoy win. It's hardly silly. In fact, I think I even said I'm sure Reading probably deserved to win.

I think you're thinking too much. I just said it was too bad that you don't like the Bucs this year because they're quite special. Which they are... since, you know... they won. Other guy rattled off numbers that literally do not matter at all, making him the biggest over-thinker of this debacle.

I'm perfectly fine with you thinking MBI should have won/should win tomorrow. I'm sure the DCA fan base is split about 50/50 on it. In your initial post, you just made it seem like you don't want Reading to win simply because they win all the time, which is what I took umbrage with. That's all. If that's not how you feel, then it was a simple misunderstanding.