Mulling Over Decision

This gets back to the question: What is the essence of Drum Corps?

I've posted my thoughts on it before, so I won't go there again. But I will add that I can only "deal with" drum corps today because I teach it. I'm not sure I'd pay to watch it, however, since I can only "take" about 2-3 shows every year....and rarely is one of them the champion.

So, Keith, you're leaving and oldtimefan is coming back.

So far it sounds like the activity is no worse off.

And, just to throw a deserved dagger in your direction and, at the same time, admitting that you might call my comments "hate", wasn't it you who attacked my efforts in posting the corps' 990s? Was that a "hateful" act on your part? What harm was my analysis doing to any corps, so long as I was consistent across all corps? You didn't hesitate to toss out some accusations in your rant there, so I'm a little surprised that you're railing against DCP hate here.

No matter. Maybe the 990's thread from last year was just a pre-cursor to your finally losing all interest in corps. Maybe seeing the corps financial numbers was the final nail in the coffin that prompted you to leave. That would be unfortunate, IMO.

Maybe you do just need to take some time off. But I suspect that this rant of yours is nothing more than the normal ups-and-downs that most of us humans feel from time to time and that, if you just ignore the urge and wait a bit, you'll change your mind and stay. Or, like oldtimefan, come back after an appropriate time away convinces you that drum corps, and DCP, aren't as bad as you envision them to be.

Just my thoughts before you leave.

Leaving......as in getting off of all DC related pages such as DCP and FB. Letting someone else run the Royal Coachmen page.

I realized that the bus has passed me by. I love the activity but I don't belong here anymore. I originally came here to reminisce about the years that I marched. Then I started seeing the negative side of this activity. People unhappy with what horns were being used, electronics and management of the top corps.

If you desire retirement because you seek a respite from the grind; fine. If you desire to turn the reigns over to someone else and let them drive the bus while you ride; fine. If you see some positives about the current activity of drum corps while also seeing the negatives you need to be commended as an honest observer. However, please be aware of the following if you desire to just run away and hide from present day realities: a) A state of Euphoric Utopia, with no negativity, has never existed and will never exist in 'anything' within our temporal life on this planet; b) Waxing poetic, reminiscing about 'back in the day' (while ignoring all the negative aspects that occurred even back then) is a form of self-delusion; and c) To pull yourself away from dealing with negativity will require you to pull yourself away from 'all' aspects of life from this point forward; because 'all' aspects of life have both positive and negative.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I posted on FB that I was going to leave drum corps. By background is....started marching in upstate NY in 1970 (Royal Coachmen), taught Renegades (NY-1982),Rochester Patriots 1984-89, Hoechster Schlossgarde (Germany) 1987-88, Rochester Crusaders 1990, 2001-2003, Heatwave 2003. Presently teaching HS choral music in FL.

I just seem to have lost interest! I am one of the rare older people here who like where the activity is. I am not happy that drum corps is dying but do appreciate what the remaining corps are doing to try to add someting different using technology. Like it or not, kids today are tech savvy and it is the way of the world. Old days were nice at the time but as the world changes, so does everything else...including drum corps.

I love DCP because of the memories we can share BUT I hat DCP because of the direction some people want to take it. We should be more supportive of this activity rather than go gainst it. What good do we do if we become negative? Negative causes hatred and some of the posts on here are hateful. Most of the blame is put on one man. Maybe that one man is smarter than the rest of us. Maybe drum corps could have died way sooner but the creativeness and the direction taken by that one man has kept DC moving and breathing. I don't know GH and never met him BUT maybe, just maybe, his ideas have kept the activity in DCI from going under. Crazy huh?

So, I sort of helped put a corps together down here but decided not to teach corps. I loved it but didn't feel the excitement anymore. I actually lost it in NY as I saw another corps start to decline. Didn't feel like part of the team my last summer. Maybe I wasn't good enough? I lean that way today because throughout my DC career I was never in any "clique." I was never good at BSing either. I never hung around the right people.

My friends from my first corps were upset that I was talking about leaving. It was nice to hear that they cared but then, I don't see them anymore since I live in FL and they are in NY. I have a FB page for the old corps but I seem to be the only one that posts, so I don't do that anymore.

I just feel that maybe my time is done and so I left the teaching part mostly because I love being with my wife. Love going to breakfast on Saturday morning, shopping and holding hands. That to me is what life is all about! Until 2004 drum corps was my love. My parents were tryingto get me to quit in 1974 and I fought. When I started teaching corps they thought I was nuts! After I started teaching school at 40 years old...it wasn't so bad.

I haven't lost the drive really, still would like to do corps but.....I think it's for younger people now.

Do I sound crazy? Anyone else feel like this?

By the way...I love what the corps are doing today and I applaud the creativity and the education that is happening.

Now carry on!

Been through it a couple of times - sometimes it just gets beaten out of you. One thing about leaving is that it's difficult to get back in at times. On the other hand if you teach while the energy is gone you shortchange yourself and your team and you're not likely to get more gigs out of it.

A year long hiatus (no shows, no forums, no following scores) is sometimes enough to rekindle the love.

For some folks it's just gone.

I don't get that sense from you. On the other hand, from your past posts you seem to burn wicked bright and that can wear you out more quickly and more completely.

You need that energy but it also needs to be the kind that sustains.

Good luck with your decision.

As was mentioned, I came back after about five years of nothing to do with corps at all. It was a nice break. I got caught up in that negative spiral right here on dcp. The constant youth vs old. Ouway is best, no our way is best. The battle of the young guns "telling me" to donate my money to a movement that didn't really represent me anymore. Really?

I took the break. I came back. I made a post and was only trying to spark discussion on how to make things more competitive. Nothing more than that and got 19 negatives right off the bat.......really? No one wants things to be even on the competitve front? Ok, whatever.

I was on facebook and someone who shall remain nameless, was calling people bandwagon fans for just wishing Carolina Crown congrats. He then talked about the class the Devils had in taking second. I merely said you should take some of their class and extend it to the people you call names. He then sends me a personal message telling me what a pathetic person I am and how I should kill my children so they don't grow up to be like me. This is a former marching member of DCI. This does not hopefully represent most or even some of the members out there, but it is what it is.

Point is, I then posted a very heartfelt post, telling people why I am back. How I do like the sound and look of drum corps, and waited to see if the negative nellies would come out and play. I would know if it was truly time to pack it in forever. Only one person came on and tried to start junk by slamming one corps for something. I think at last count there were 24 plusses on that post.

Thank God, not all is lost. Take your break, drum corps will still be here. It is not dead, it won't die. It is stronger than all of us combined and while some corps disappear, there are alway going to be a few left. The few that are left, keep getting better and better. All star corps is what it is coming down to and it is incredible.

See you when you get back, and I won't be one of those who said, good riddance ( like I was told ), I will personally tell you, we will miss you. Every person that walk away is missed. Most people are just too stubborn to admit it. I will welcome you when you come back. Take care and enjoy walking hand in hand with that wife.

• Like 3

Leaving......as in getting off of all DC related pages such as DCP and FB. Letting someone else run the Royal Coachmen page.

I realized that the bus has passed me by. I love the activity but I don't belong here anymore. I originally came here to reminisce about the years that I marched. Then I started seeing the negative side of this activity. People unhappy with what horns were being used, electronics and management of the top corps.

Have you gone to the other Forums where you could do that, or is the venom there as well? I don't know, as I mainly come to the Junior forums.

Hi Keith,

Here is my take on it... I go to one show a year and it is in June because I live in California. When I go to that show, all this DCP vitrol doesn't exist. Sure I suppose there could be some jerk spouting off while his team is getting the short end of the competitive stick, but for the most part, it is a bunch of nice people going to watch what they love, or to watch those who they love, doing what they love to do.

Here on these boards however, it is a different deal. People are much bolder and far more brash here than in person, dare I say this includes me? Well it does... People are willing to take a position on the ridiculous here and no one really knows who they are, unless they put who they really are in their signature line... Some do...

I went to one show this year ( Riverside, CA). First thing I heard was someone, who posts here, talking smack about one of the corps. Went to DCA finals LAST year. Heard people talking about DCP. Went to several shows the previous year. Heard someone talk about DCP in Va. Heard someone talk about DCP in Charleston, WV. So, I must be sitting in the wrong areas all the time. Now they weren't rude in general. Well, actually the California guy was a bit rude...

Normally I would agree with you, people aren't as obnoxious in person as they are online. I think we're losing something though, and people are starting to be more like that in person. It's kinda sad.

Garfield, I believe my comment was more along the lines of "why is talking about that so important?" That wasn't hateful just didn't think it was something we should concern ourselves with.

In any case, I can't say I am burnt out...just don't get excited about it anymore. I come here for my fix but it's not what it was a few years ago.

Thaks for your thoughts everyone

• Like 1

I ain't burnt out.

I just made a successful Priceline hotel bid for August 1 and 2, 2014 in Allentown.

Hurry Christmas --- Uhm, I mean 2014 -- don't be late.

Edited by DeanInChicago