Mulling Over Decision

And cixelsyd; don't judge until you've gone thru it yourself.

Not trying to judge. He should do what is right for him. The same applies to each of us.

The only reason I posted was in reaction to one part of his post where it seemed like he expects the rest of us to be supportive of drum corps regardless of our feelings and circumstances. I probably read too much into that sentence. Frankly, the vibe I get from Keith a couple of posts later is that he feels conflicted primarily from reading negative opinions here on DCP. Sounds like he still has some interest. Maybe he should try the Fan Network or YouTube for that occasional drum corps "fix" rather than a discussion group with a wide, discordant spectrum of opinions.

Keith,

Plenty else to do in life and be passionate about. Sign up for a 10k or marathon, maybe start some scuba diving lessons, or even gator wrasslin! Take some time and do whatever that "other thing" in the back of your mind is, recharge your drum corps batteries. It will still be here if or whenever you decide to come back.

Not trying to judge. He should do what is right for him. The same applies to each of us.

The only reason I posted was in reaction to one part of his post where it seemed like he expects the rest of us to be supportive of drum corps regardless of our feelings and circumstances. I probably read too much into that sentence. Frankly, the vibe I get from Keith a couple of posts later is that he feels conflicted primarily from reading negative opinions here on DCP. Sounds like he still has some interest. Maybe he should try the Fan Network or YouTube for that occasional drum corps "fix" rather than a discussion group with a wide, discordant spectrum of opinions.

OK no problem then, my mistake. Think I read another post that combined with yours hit me the wrong way so I'll take the blame. Either that or still a sore spot from the crap I took when I walked away totally or partially over the years. LOL and the DCPer who gave me the most crap for supporting DCI and not wanting to go to shows has been banned.... :ph34r:

Backing off a bit like you suggest could help too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think backing away will help but also not to get sucked into some posts that I feel aren't being helpful to the activity. I am not perfect...never have been and never will be. Sometimes we may want to start something on here that will upset some people. I get that because I have done it. I will also be the first to say I don't know the answers that will help the activity. If I did I would be with a corps or running DCI....because I know ME, that will never happen. I also kno that I have a lot of good friends here (some I know personally and some I met throug DCP). would like to meet you all some day before I join the great corps ("up there.").

I also want to add something here, maybe controversial BUT....recently I tried to get Tom Allen re-instated and both posts were closed. I have had run ins with Tom years ago on RAMD but we also met face to face and I think I can say this about Tom....he LOVES drum and bugle corps! He is passionate about what he does, no matter what it is. He heads up and promotes Honor Flight and Taps for military funerals. This guy comes from a drum corps passionate family. He blew off some steam a while back because of this passion. I mean, is there someone or some people on here hat just tick you off? Me probably! There are others here too. Anyways, isn't it time to just say, "You are welcome back and lets start with a clean slate!" If you really knew me you would see that I am not a jerk or a bad guy. I have been around a few years, know a couple of things and have tons of memories. Same for others. What is banning someone doing? Was there actual physical harm or just words?

Anyways, moving on....Thanks to my friends for your responses.

So.... after all the words, are you staying or leaving the activity ? Inquiring minds that are wrapped up in your personal public " mulling " question, want to know if you have come to a decision yet and when will it be posted so that we can finally put your innner turmoil on this question finally to rest and we can all move on here to discussing Drum Corps ? It looks to me that you'll be staying to support the MM's in Drum Corps and will be going to the shows next season. But its a bit unclear still. Please let us know when you ultimately decide, ok ? The drama is just killing me.

Edited by BRASSO

A few weeks ago I posted on FB that I was going to leave drum corps.

.....I think it's for younger people now.

DCI marches " young people " ( age 22 or under ), but it is by no means run primarily by " young people ". Most of the design staffs, Corps Directors, and judges have long ago qualified for AARP membership card and benefits due to attained age, and are no longer considered the " young ", unless one is prepared to stretch that definition.

By contrast, most college and Pro sports are chock full of " young people " at key decision making positions, including Head Coaches, Managers and umpiring, refereeing. Listed are just a few :

Brad Stevens.. 36... recently hired to run the most storied franchise in the NBA as its Head Coach ( Boston Celtics )

Joe West..... was a mere 28 when he was selected to umpire the MLB playoff games in 2009.

Buzz Williams... 40.... Mens Basketball Coach, Marquette.

Sarah Erickson...23.... Women's Ice Hockey Coach... Univ. Concordia.

Mike Tomlin.... 41.... and several years Head Football Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Mike Yeo... 40.... Head Ice Hockey Coach for the Stanley Cup Qualifying Minnesota Wild of the NHL.

Pat Mathany... 42.... Manager of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Gary Green.... was 26.... when he was hired to Head Coach the NHL's Washington Capitols in 1979.

Bashir Mason.... 29.... current Head Basketball Coach for the Mens team at Wagner Univ.

Lane Kiffin... 38.... Head Football Coach at USC

Pat Fitzgerald...38.... and several years Head Football Coach at Northwestern.

Matt Campell.....33.... Head Football Coach at the Univ. Toledo.

P. J. Fleck.... 32......Head Football Coach at Western Michigan.

Dennis Allen....39 .... Head Football Coach of the Oakland Raiders.

Ben Cherrington... 39... current General Manager for the team with the best record in MLB ( Boston Red Sox)

Enrico Blasi.. at 26..... was hired in 1999 to take over the Univ. Miami of Ohio Men's Ice Hockey. He 41 now,

and has taken his team to 8 NCAA's qualifying tournaments and was named National NCAA Ice Hockey College Coach

Of the Year in '06... at age 35. I could go on and list dozens of others under the age of 42 that have influential

positions that drive the actvity in their respective sports.

DCI has few people in positions of authority that drive the activity that are under age 42... and even

fewer woman of ANY age in positions of leadership. DCI Drum Corps is " for the young ", but it is by no means

shaped and driven and influenced by " the young ".

Edited by BRASSO

I think backing away will help but also not to get sucked into some posts that I feel aren't being helpful to the activity. I am not perfect...never have been and never will be. Sometimes we may want to start something on here that will upset some people. I get that because I have done it. I will also be the first to say I don't know the answers that will help the activity. If I did I would be with a corps or running DCI....because I know ME, that will never happen. I also kno that I have a lot of good friends here (some I know personally and some I met throug DCP). would like to meet you all some day before I join the great corps ("up there.").

I also want to add something here, maybe controversial BUT....recently I tried to get Tom Allen re-instated and both posts were closed. I have had run ins with Tom years ago on RAMD but we also met face to face and I think I can say this about Tom....he LOVES drum and bugle corps! He is passionate about what he does, no matter what it is. He heads up and promotes Honor Flight and Taps for military funerals. This guy comes from a drum corps passionate family. He blew off some steam a while back because of this passion. I mean, is there someone or some people on here hat just tick you off? Me probably! There are others here too. Anyways, isn't it time to just say, "You are welcome back and lets start with a clean slate!" If you really knew me you would see that I am not a jerk or a bad guy. I have been around a few years, know a couple of things and have tons of memories. Same for others. What is banning someone doing? Was there actual physical harm or just words?

I love TA too keith, but....he broke a privately owned and run drum corps chat forums rules about personal attacks...DCP's. As such, the mods closed it because they weren't going to change their mind. I love Tommy death, but when he gets fired up, he doesn't always listen, and I'm sure over the years he was warned enough that it got him tossed.

This isn't like the early days of DCP when they had a watch list or enemies listso to speak. You really have to #### up and get someone fired up enough to hit the report button to get tossed. TA did that.

so when MLB reinstates Pete Rose, I'll campain for TA to come back.

No idea Keith but took a break for even watching corps for 10 years when other (read: more important) things hit my life. Now taking time off from playing for same reasons but will probably get the DCA Internet package in 2014 but no live shows.

Hard to understand until it hits but life changes and priorities change. And there is such a thing as burnout... Maybe this is part of what is going on...

And cixelsyd; don't judge until you've gone thru it yourself. And I don't see where Keiths post is going against DC.

Agreed, Jim.

I took time off as well. Nearly walked out period after an early 90's incident at hershey with some clowns who didnt get I was BLOOING and not Booing. Nearly went after a family w 2 guys right there and right then when they threatened me, I coulda taken them both I was that peeved. Walked out of the stadium in utter disgust. Staff/ex-corpsmates got me to go back to Hershey 4-5 years later, promised me they'd bodyguard me on both sides and let me react like I wanted to, the Scouts were hot that night, happy I went with them, I still do some stuff.

Deadbeat fans still honk me off. It's my pet peeve.

If you need to take a break, it's very healthy and good to do it. Go to some museums, stuff like that. I do. It's refreshing.