Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

This is a silly thing to say. Alums thought it wouldn't work because of the "Latin trilogy"? Seriously? 3 years don't make a trend. '93 and '98 were more "typical" Madison than '94-'96 were.

Sorry to say, but it was true, not all, but there were several. I would give names, but I respect those alums WAY too much to share who they are.

If your going to tell me what I say is silly, please know what you're talking about. I lived it, and experienced it, but I guess if fact/truth are silly, then I guess you'd have a point.

As for 3 years not making a trend, look at your corps history, and look at how much latin inspired jazz has/had been used. 93 and 98 were very much inspired by the years the corps played straight ahead, powerhouse jazz, but latin has been part of the repertoire just as long, and probably as frequently as the music that inspired 93 and 98.

Oh, and go 2014 Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps!

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 2

Sorry to say, but it was true, not all, but there were several. I would give names, but I respect those alums WAY too much to share who they are.

If your going to tell me what I say is silly, please know what you're talking about. I lived it, and experienced it, but I guess if fact/truth are silly, then I guess you'd have a point.

As for 3 years not making a trend, look at your corps history, and look at how much latin inspired jazz has/had been used. 93 and 98 were very much inspired by the years the corps played straight ahead, powerhouse jazz, but latin has been part of the repertoire just as long, and probably as frequently as the music that inspired 93 and 98.

Oh, and go 2014 Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps!

Oh, because a couple of people said something, then that makes it worth mentioning? And I'm plenty well-versed in corps history. And, by and large, the Scouts have usually been straight-ahead jazz and show tunes with some Latin mixed it. It hasn't encompassed a majority of their repotoire by any means. So a couple of guys saying it wouldn't work doesn't make it true.

• Like 1

They're working real hard and best they sounded musically at this point in years. Using a lot of techniques to make sure the swing music actually actually swings and doesn't sound like bebop like other corps playing jazz as if late.

If you like Kenton and Ellis you'll like what they're doing.

I've needed a show like this for a while.

• Like 2

They're working real hard and best they sounded musically at this point in years. Using a lot of techniques to make sure the swing music actually actually swings and doesn't sound like bebop like other corps playing jazz as if late.

If you like Kenton and Ellis you'll like what they're doing.

I've needed a show like this for a while.

I like the sound of that....when the Scouts of the past were given truly great "swing" charts....and taught accordingly how to lay on the back of the beat and articulate in almost a "scat" technique, it was magical! A couple of my favorite examples were 82 Strawberry Soup (83 was still good, but didn't seem to groove/swing as much), 86 Harlem Suite, parts of 10 and 11. Very much looking forward to the 2014 installment of the Mighty Madison Scouts! And truly curious to see/hear what the Trombone ensemble in the pit is going to sound like. I think if done really well, it could do a lot to enhance the jazz orchestra vibe that I think the show will have.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous! Should be an amazing year for the Scouts

truly curious to see/hear what the Trombone ensemble in the pit is going to sound like. I think if done really well, it could do a lot to enhance the jazz orchestra vibe that I think the show will have.

I'm open to seeing and hearing how Madison utilizes the stationary trombones for a brief portion of their show. It fits the music selected by Kenton, and the earth won't stop spinning on its axis because of this. There is a prejudgment by people I know that the use of trombones ( and sousaphones ) is Drum Corps armageddon, but until we see and hear this, it really is premature to form any opinion one way or the other. I'm open minded right now, but of course the onus is on Madison to not make this look and sound high school bandish. So we'll see soon enough.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm open to seeing and hearing how Madison utilizes the stationary trombones for a brief portion of their show. It fits the music selected by Kenton, and the earth won't stop spinning on its axis because of this. There is a prejudgment by people I know that the use of trombones ( and sousaphones ) is Drum Corps armageddon, but until we see and hear this, it really is premature to form any opinion one way or the other. I'm open minded right now, but of course the onus is on Madison to not make this look and sound high school bandish. So we'll see soon enough.

Wish more people could keep an open mind.

What's the point of a forum if you want everyone you disagree with to stop posting? Seems silly to me. Must be the in thing, we are afraid to debate so lets shut it down. What is this, a university commencement?

• Like 3

What's the point of a forum if you want everyone you disagree with to stop posting? Seems silly to me. Must be the in thing, we are afraid to debate so lets shut it down. What is this, a university commencement?

In which post did someone say to stop posting? I see some where people say they think it is too early to form an opinion or to keep an open mind, which is not the same thing.

BTW...how can you disagree with something you have not yet seen/heard from the corps?