Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Well, I'm officially done with the Scouts organization and drum corps in general. I saw Mr. Mason as a purist. I no longer care if the Scouts survive or not.

As a Madison alumn, I wont yet go as far as you, but I am leaning that way. Lots of Madison alumns will not be happy about this. First the Scouts move to Indiana, then this? Tereible. Just terrible.

Oh, and that the Scouts were one of the first, if not the first to have a "pit" and not march all instruments, circa 1980.

Guardsmen grounded the pit in 1979.

Edited by FlamMan

As a Madison alumn, I wont yet go as far as you, but I am leaning that way. Lots of Madison alumns will not be happy about this. First the Scouts move to Indiana, then this? Tereible. Just terrible.

Have to say, as a Scouts alum, I am not bothered by any of this, nor that they hold camps in Indiana.

Did people ##### this much when the SCOUTS brought these out in the 70's?

tromboniums.jpg

• Like 3

Guardsmen grounded the pit in 1979.

Thanks.

For those of you that are still trying to say that the Scouts, DCI, or anyone else withheld information, here is the link from January, in which the rule proposals were spelled out.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=6d00148c-fd0f-4cb5-9164-6f33f9996d09

Hey Madison - trombones, sousaphones, and french horns today... females tomorrow!

The rule hasn't been made official, as there have been no formal announcements. Just because a rule is proposed and might be used, do we truly know that the corps will actually use it.

As for the female comment, it's common knowledge that when Scott Stewart was getting towards the end of his tenure, he was open and honest about the possibility of brining in females in the colorguard.

And besides, the Scouts have had 2 female performers, so that's been done

The rule hasn't been made official, as there have been no formal announcements. Just because a rule is proposed and might be used, do we truly know that the corps will actually use it.

As for the female comment, it's common knowledge that when Scott Stewart was getting towards the end of his tenure, he was open and honest about the possibility of brining in females in the colorguard.

And besides, the Scouts have had 2 female performers, so that's been done

Not to mention the young gals who were the Honor Guard...complete with fake moustaches.

• Like 1

Hey because kickers in the NFL can make 97 percent of field goals means the NFL should eliminate fg. Because 95 percent of Drum corps sound great using existing horns DCI should add all brass. I preferred g "bugles" to the Bb. I would argue 90 percent of those that watch DC wouldn't be able to tell the difference by adding trombone s and the likes if they didn't see them on the field. Hence change for change sake.

Hey because kickers in the NFL can make 97 percent of field goals means the NFL should eliminate fg. Because 95 percent of Drum corps sound great using existing horns DCI should add all brass. I preferred g "bugles" to the Bb. I would argue 90 percent of those that watch DC wouldn't be able to tell the difference by adding trombone s and the likes if they didn't see them on the field. Hence change for change sake.

Not sure I follow your logic, but in this case change came about because music designers wanted to have no restrictions on type of brass instrument used. That's pretty simple to understand, right? If we're already allowing for any key brass, why not allow ANY any key brass?

What's goofy is "we used bell-front brass because that's what bugles were. When we changed to all-key brass you kept bell-front brass because that's what bugles were. We will keep this forever because that's what bugles were." That's keeping things the same for the sake of no change w/out any logical reasoning behind it. THAT is silly.

• Like 1