Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I am always a huge Madison Scouts fan, and when I heard Kenton and Ellis I was totally excited about this show. However after having seen it live once, and several times on demand, I find the musical selections, and arrangements rather bland. I am not feeling the power that Madison used to show when they played jazz shows in the past. It is very early in the season, and I am looking forward to many changes in their show. But so far I am rather disappointed in this show musically. I think it is possible they could slip a placement or two this year. There are some fantastic shows on the field this year, I sure hope this one joins them by the end of the season.

I agree; I as looking forward to this show because I love Kenton & Ellis music, but this show doesn't do much for me. The corps performs well enough, but like you said the arrangements seem bland and fairly uninteresting to me. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, though it's interesting to me you say you feel this way after seeing them live: I& maybe it was awesome live. I think if this corps is trying to generate effect with just playing + marching well (as opposed to some sort of story, or through-line/theme, or crazy use of props, etc), the arrangements aren't cool/interesting enough on their own and the performance isn't exciting or clean enough. I know it's early, and tweaks and cleaning will come & I'll still be holding out hope the corps will thrill me

I am always a huge Madison Scouts fan, and when I heard Kenton and Ellis I was totally excited about this show. However after having seen it live once, and several times on demand, I find the musical selections, and arrangements rather bland. I am not feeling the power that Madison used to show when they played jazz shows in the past. It is very early in the season, and I am looking forward to many changes in their show. But so far I am rather disappointed in this show musically. I think it is possible they could slip a placement or two this year. There are some fantastic shows on the field this year, I sure hope this one joins them by the end of the season.

The arrangements are weak...but part off the problem also is that the Scouts are playing too many songs...trying to cram too much into 13 minutes. Something is missing & I'm not quite sure what it is...

• Like 1

The arrangements are weak...but part off the problem also is that the Scouts are playing too many songs...trying to cram too much into 13 minutes. Something is missing & I'm not quite sure what it is...

I backed up this idea in another thread:

I think his work is hit and miss. Mostly hit with Magic, mostly miss with Glassmen (not because of artistic license but because of effect).

So I was a little cautious when he came to the Scouts. However, I think he's done a great job there. 2011 was a masterpiece, methinks. And the integration of Malaguena and Baba Yaga was incredible in 2012. I didn't care for 2013, but not due to the arranging.

I think the main driver of deviation from the source material this year is the number of pieces that are used. I think he's done a great job of maintaining some of the semblance of the source material despite eight tunes being used. For example, I don't blame him as an arranger for melding Open Wide and Niner Two as has been done (I blame the program coordinator or whoever made the decision to do it - it's atrocious). That said, I think the melody in Bulgarian Bulge sounds very little like the amazing original, and that would appear to fall on the arranger's shoulders.

For better or worse, drum corps is about creating effect. And when you play eight tunes, only the "effect" is actually used - no development.

The guy walking around is still installing his part when they were at whitewater this summer practicing he was in what could be describes as a hamster wheel. I can't get into details but he does have more of a part than has been shown.

Edited by Runitagain
  • Like 1

Green and red. That's whats missing for me. I haven't liked Scouts uniforms for a while now. As for the music, I think it's pretty enjoyable.

I was excited to see this show when it was announced, but after viewing it several times, I'm disgusted by what I saw. It used to be that when the scouts took the field, the TOOK the field. Power, precision, great arrangements, electricity... none of this exists in today's Madison Scouts. Now they dance around the field with dissected musical arrangements that are bland to say the least. None of this is the kids fault, they work their butts off. I'm extremely disappointed in Jim Mason and his staff for putting the FLUFF in Madison. This takes 9 minutes to actually get moving, and even the closer is sub-par to say the least (I prefer the 1985 Velvet Knights version Final Analysis to this one). What in the hell is going on with this activity?

I'm not trying to be paranoid old school drum corps fan here, but this is getting ridiculous. Arrangers, do you know what a melody is, or do you allow the visual guys to stand in the room and dance with you while you write charts? Someone please tell me that there is a corps out there that knows how to play real music?

Someone please tell me that there is a corps out there that knows how to play real music?

If anything, the pendulum this year has swung away from chop and bop arrangements (look at Cavaliers and Blue Devils this year vs the last several seasons for both corps).

Perhaps that's a reason why this year's Scouts show feels retro in more ways than one.

If anything, the pendulum this year has swung away from chop and bop arrangements (look at Cavaliers and Blue Devils this year vs the last several seasons for both corps).

Perhaps that's a reason why this year's Scouts show feels retro in more ways than one.

This is anything BUT a retro Madison Scouts show.

• Like 1