2014 Programs

I mean, appalachian spring is nice but I will be rolling my eyes if we reach the climax of appalachian spring in their show and there is a company front.....

It would be great if they formed a dinosaur during the big push in Appalachian Spring (I kid, I kid). At least it would get them on the news...

I'm glad Marc is back with Cadets this year.

• Like 2

I hope that actual spoken recitation of famous quotation is minimal or non-existent. Over the course of three weeks, I saw three different marching bands do shows about historical speeches, none to any good effect. Who goes to band or corps performances to hear someone talk? The enjoyable exceptions (basically Crown 2007, Bluecoats 2007, and, for the most part, Crown 2013) are rare.

I agree with the shows based on historical speeches... Which is why im hoping for something unique/ambigious/modern if they are going in that direction... I'd hate for it to be "THIS is what they said.... 'I have a dream...'", "THIS is what they said... 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself!'" followed by painfully riggid grandeous music... Simple Gifts... "THIS IS WHAT THEY SAID!!!" company front... followed by a fast push to the end, loud chord, company front.... etc..

BUT the very first line of the article talks about the future of drumcorps with electronics so... I'm pretty sure there will be a bunch in there (which I'm obviously not against inherently). But can the cadets use electronics differently than what Crown did in 2013 and what they did in 2007/2005? Can they think of anything more original than "inspirational quote" followed by music, followed by another "inspirational quote" followed by different music and not have it feel old-fashioned?

But ofcourse, just my first impressions on a couple sentences of a news release that could be different next month!

Edited by charlie1223

It would be great if they formed a dinosaur during the big push in Appalachian Spring (I kid, I kid). At least it would get them on the news...

I'm glad Marc is back with Cadets this year.

It's important to note that no drum corps drill move has ever been as popular as a dinosaur formation.

It's important to note that no drum corps drill move has ever been as popular as a dinosaur formation.

It helps that it involved a marching band associated with a good and popular football team in a football-crazed country. And that the band itself posted the full-length video of the performance free on the internet.

That said, while I don't want DCI to use a dinosaur drill move, corps should take note of the popularity of that video and what made it popular.

I hope that actual spoken recitation of famous quotation is minimal or non-existent. Over the course of three weeks, I saw three different marching bands do shows about historical speeches, none to any good effect. Who goes to band or corps performances to hear someone talk? The enjoyable exceptions (basically Crown 2007, Bluecoats 2007, and, for the most part, Crown 2013) are rare.

Copland did a wonderful job with the narration in Lincoln Portrait. If Cadets do it half as well, it'll be some of, if not the best narration work since narration was legalized.

Pioneer announces 2014 program, "Joy!"

http://pioneer-corps.org/news/569-pioneer-announces-2014-program-joy.html

I really liked their show last summer, so I'm glad they're continuing with this genre.

• Like 2

I really liked their show last summer, so I'm glad they're continuing with this genre.

Pioneer 2014 Repertoire...

A Mighty Fortress

We Gather Together

Saints Hallelujah

Irish Tune From Country Derry

The Garry Owen March

• Like 2

Thank you!

OP and Spotify playlist updated. All of these tunes, with actual referenced versions, are on Spotify! :cool: