Carolina Crown: Play charts that nobody else could play.

The Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Does Crown play charts that no other drum corps could play?

• True
    • False

I find it kind of interesting (and possibly telling) that the most recent show on your list is more than a decade old.

I hesitate to raise this question, but: has some music that would formerly have been played by the brass been moved in the past decade to amplified pit and electronics?

I hesitate to raise this question, but: has some music that would formerly have been played by the brass been moved in the past decade to amplified pit and electronics?

Yes. That's exactly what I think has been happening.

The one thing I guess we can all agree on is that every single DCP member is a complete and total expert on Drum Corps.

• Like 3

---Now I believe that BD could pull off the book competently, but it just wouldn't sound the same. It just wouldn't be at that level. ....and if Crown played BD's book, or SCVs book.... The same thing... Now, Crown could pull off an old Star book, and it would probably be very close.

---

I'd imagine that the same would hold true with the percussion sections of various corps as well.

I would agree with that sentiment. Different groups have different styles, and as such, they set up their instructional programs for those styles. Essentially, you could take the statement in question and say it about pretty much any of the top corps. I think that's what many of us are getting at. SCV does things that only SCV (having set up their program for certain things) could do. The same for BD, Crown, Coats, etc.

I would also like to add that in addition to Drum Corps Experts and Reading Each Others Minds, that we also know exactly what is on the minds of ALL Corps Directors and understand their thought process and motivation for each and every decision they make and of course any of us could have done it better.

I sense some sarcasm over the internet here...

But I really am a total expert on drum corps. I. Know. Everything.

• Like 1

I sense some sarcasm over the internet here...

But I really am a total expert on drum corps. I. Know. Everything.

Yes, WE. ALL. DO. TOO.

I find this to be an interesting question. I really think the talent level in most of your top corps, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Phantom and Crown to be about the same level. I don't think Crown plays music that no one else could, but they choose music that other corps don't feel would fit into their own show. I have no doubt if you took the music from any of these corps, and gave it to each of the other corps to play, that there is no doubt that each corps would be able to perform those pieces within a week or two. If you had the same staff working each group, I don't know if you would be able to tell the difference much between each corps. With the individual staffs being different, I am sure you see a few changes that might fit each corps. Vanguard might put a special pause in there so the fans could yell VANGUARD!!!, Phantom Regiment would probably add a few extra runs that aren't in the original works. Cavaliers would probably add an extra 8 counts somewhere so they can finish their kaleidoscopic drill, Blue Devils might put in an extra space chord somewhere.

I am not saying Crown didn't have the best hornline this year. I felt they were definitely the best. But I also don't believe that means the talent level is higher than any other corps. I think what it means is, with the music they chose,and the way it was arranged, added with the performance of the kids in the corps, this year they were the best. But I honestly believe any of those other corps would have been able to perform that music. It may have sounded slightly different, which some people would love, like, not care, dislike, hate, etc.

I always find it interesting, with the millions of songs that have been written, how back in the day there would be 4 corps that might possibly play the same song in the same season. I also find it interesting today that even though I have been a music instructor for over 30 years, and have been around corps and marching band, every year corps and bands will play music I have never heard before. I also find it interesting how many marching bands will take a drum corps show almost note for note, and water it down just a bit.

My opinion is that Crown is doing music no one else has CHOSEN to do, not what other corps would not be able to play. And I love that, as who would want to see every corps perform the exact same show?

At a guest lecture by John Cage at the Eastman School of Music back in the 1970's, the composer was taking questions from the audience. A disgruntled person in the audience proceeded to tell Cage, "ANYONE could write your music!"

The composer responded by saying "Yes, but no one does"

Could other corps play what Crown plays? Maybe, but no one does.

• Like 1