Phantom Regiment 2014

There's a sound check snippet on the Sinnissippi Music Shell facebook page.

The brass writing is hokey, IMO. Kinda sappy.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 1

The brassline sounds pretty good! Though at this point in the season, the Cadets sounded a bit better. Can probably judge it better when a full video is released.

I would like to average the two ends of the aggression spectrum: JD Shaw and Don Hill. (though my impression of Don Hill is now clouded by 2013 - his 2012 arrangement was appropriately aggressive, in my opinion)

Thanks for the info. Something is certainly better than nothing, but I haven't heard enough yet to know if I hate or love this show. Hopefully a YouTube representative was there to cover the event.

The brassline sounds pretty good! Though at this point in the season, the Cadets sounded a bit better. Can probably judge it better when a full video is released.

My comment had nothing to do with the performance. It had to do with the "brass writing."

This was one of my most anticipated shows this season. I hope the visual program is just absolutely extraordinary or else consider me disappointed. The music book is just not what I was expecting or hoping for. How deflating.

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/DYy_qmsKlbw

......I'm a little worried about the drums. Ok REALLY worried. I don't know if it is after listening to The Cadets ball buster line earlier but geez, A LOT of dirt, it is raining, but a standstill? I dunno, they have a helluva lot of room to grow. Overall, a little underwhelmed. Some fantastic impact moments, I think I just need to see it with the visual package. We will see. I need to remember it's only early June......

I'm just...speechless. (well, almost)

Don Hill needed to go after last year. Not any better this year if not worse. The music is mostly effect moments (in a year where BD is playing more melody...imagine that!). It sounds like a middle of the road BOA arrangement.

I was going to ask about the percussion because I'm not a battery person. They sound like they did last year, and it's because they're mostly all the same performers.

With over a hundred rookies this year, it may be a rough road ahead. It's disappointing.

And what's with the Voldemort voiceover?!? Parseltongue?? Really?