What really makes Drum Corps so different

Or even worse, decisions could be made by Board members (who are directors of corps competing against other Board members) that are more beneficial to their organization than other organization: essentially a conflict of interest seems highly plausible, and I wouldn't blame corps directors for pushing for/enacting rules that benefit their corps specifically. I've always thought it was mind-boggling that the BoD makeup being mostly corps directors making rules for all of DCI that even the perception of a conflict of interest would be detrimental to the activity (no fan wants to invest heavily, time or money wise, in an activity that doesn't feel 100% legit & free of corruption - though soccer is the biggest sport in the world and it has a governing body that is also the most blatantly corrupt professional organization I can think of)

this IMO is THE biggest issue with DCI.

Or even worse, decisions could be made by Board members (who are directors of corps competing against other Board members) that are more beneficial to their organization than other organization: essentially a conflict of interest seems highly plausible, and I wouldn't blame corps directors for pushing for/enacting rules that benefit their corps specifically. I've always thought it was mind-boggling that the BoD makeup being mostly corps directors making rules for all of DCI that even the perception of a conflict of interest would be detrimental to the activity (no fan wants to invest heavily, time or money wise, in an activity that doesn't feel 100% legit & free of corruption - though soccer is the biggest sport in the world and it has a governing body that is also the most blatantly corrupt professional organization I can think

Corruption could be present no matter how the board is made up..You certainly make a VALID point though. BUT imagine corps not making their own decisions or better yet...there are some band circuits and winter guard circuits that judges are actually holding board seats...WOW..that always boggled my mind that a paid employee like a judge can hold a board seat. ( no connection would seems good

( although MANY have connections ) in this case, BUT making decisions as to direction or outcomes ABSOLUTELY NOT ) IMO

I do agree corruption could be present and self serving BUT i always believe corruption can come in all forms...so whats the answer? hmmmmm good question that even our own government hasn't figured out yet I guess.

Edited by GUARDLING

Or even worse, decisions could be made by Board members (who are directors of corps competing against other Board members) that are more beneficial to their organization than other organization: essentially a conflict of interest seems highly plausible, and I wouldn't blame corps directors for pushing for/enacting rules that benefit their corps specifically. I've always thought it was mind-boggling that the BoD makeup being mostly corps directors making rules for all of DCI that even the perception of a conflict of interest would be detrimental to the activity (no fan wants to invest heavily, time or money wise, in an activity that doesn't feel 100% legit & free of corruption - though soccer is the biggest sport in the world and it has a governing body that is also the most blatantly corrupt professional organization I can think of)

As dysfunctional as this system sounds there is legal precedent that is supposed to guide the BOD. The bylaws state that each member of the voting BOD has a fiduciary responsibility to the other directors to act in the best interest of the activity as a whole. That rule has teeth in law and can be enforced to remove directors who violate the rule.

It was the basis for seizing power from those who wanted to capture the activity, fire its ED, and put themselves in such an inviolable position as to make themselves permanent decision-makers to the exclusion of all other BOD members.

I suspect that any person, director or otherwise, could hire counsel, contact the Secretary of State's office and make a contention against any BOD that their actions fail the fiduciary test.

I'm not suggesting that it would be easy to win such an argument, though.

Having a BoD of non-corps affiliated people is like having a school board of non-music people controlling budgets for arts programs. That would be a big mistake….. Oh wait.

Eight of the top 12 from 1970 are still with us. As in any competitive activity,excellence drives out mediocrity. Only half of the Fortune 500 from 1950 are still around.Today's top corps are twice as big as top corps in the 1960's

yet sadly Congress just gets worse

:tounge2:

Eight of the top 12 from 1970 are still with us. As in any competitive activity,excellence drives out mediocrity. Only half of the Fortune 500 from 1950 are still around.Today's top corps are twice as big as top corps in the 1960's

Could you name those eight corps? My count comes out differently.

Could you name those eight corps? My count comes out differently.

I can see potential problems. For example do the Kilties count? They no longer compete in world class but exist as a senior corps. Also which 1970 top 12? AL or VFW? Or do we mean 1972?

Corruption could be present no matter how the board is made up..You certainly make a VALID point though. BUT imagine corps not making their own decisions or better yet...there are some band circuits and winter guard circuits that judges are actually holding board seats...WOW..that always boggled my mind that a paid employee like a judge can hold a board seat. ( no connection would seems good

( although MANY have connections ) in this case, BUT making decisions as to direction or outcomes ABSOLUTELY NOT ) IMO

I do agree corruption could be present and self serving BUT i always believe corruption can come in all forms...so whats the answer? hmmmmm good question that even our own government hasn't figured out yet I guess.

For sure, it's definitely a double-edged sword: either way (current w/DCI Board be DCI corps Directors or DCI board being mostly independent people who don't run or have any affiliation with corps) there is potential for issues.

DCI seems happy with how things are run, as far as almost exclusively by corps members: if enough people thought there needed to be a fundamental change, there would be.