Cadets camp

dans

What has been so innovative about the last few years "championship shows"?

The last innovative thing I saw on the field was the 2012 Blue Knights and it got trashed by a lot of people. I think there's only one other person on this board who liked it. At least the guy behind it is with the Cadets this year.

Edited by LincolnV

The last innovative thing I saw on the field was the 2012 Blue Knights and it got trashed by a lot of people. I think there's only one other person on this board who liked it. At least the guy behind it is with the Cadets this year.

My favorite 2012 show.

Wow. People are really down on this show already. I'm gonna give it some more time (at least until the next camp!).

OH MY GOD DON'T YOU KNOW BY NOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WAY???? LOL...

Personally I am not a fan of narration from ANY corps, but I can't call a baby a cutie when it hasn't been born yet.

exactly how did that innovate?

OH MY GOD DON'T YOU KNOW BY NOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WAY???? LOL...

Personally I am not a fan of narration from ANY corps, but I can't call a baby a cutie when it hasn't been born yet.

I did, but she's my daughter

:tounge2:

I highly doubt this narration will be "passable". If they extract most of the narration from Lincoln Portrait and add bits here and there, then this certainly has the potential to be one of the most powerful shows yet.

And to your point...

I think the Star Spangled Banner is pretty powerful. But many a paid "professional" has managed to make it cringe worthy.

I don't care if they're going to recite the Gettysburg Address. If the person doing the speaking isn't up to par, it's not going to work.

Props to the kid from Crown last year. He managed to pulled it off, IMO.

If they are going to insist on narration, I'd suggest to call the show "Better Angels of Our Nature" and try to illustrate the struggles of Lincoln in attempting to keep the Union from fracturing while not shredding the constitution. Subverting the borderline hero worship contained in "Lincoln Portrait" would be really interesting. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus for American citizens (GWB did it for non-Americans), and many view this action as an unconstitutional overreach by the executive. Also, his personal views on race were not exactly progressive, as illustrated during the Lincoln - Douglass debate:

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.

Source: http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/debate4.htm

Lincoln and Kennedy and Roosevelt (and Bush and Obama and probably every other president) were complex figures, and all found that the tough questions involved with leading the nation had answers shaded in grey.

There is fertile and intellectually challenging ground there, but based on what is known, I worry that we will end up with a milquetoast rendition of a wind band piece. But, hey... it's just marching band. :)

Oh man I loved BK 2012! That was one of my favorite shows in a long long time!

There you are (the other person).

It was one of mine.