The Pronunciation of "Caballeros"

A Spanish speaker mentioned to me recently in a discussion about DCA that the way I pronounced Caballeros is wrong. The L's are supposed to have more of a Y sound, like in tortilla.

This made me wonder how the current common pronunciation in the drum corps community for Caballero came about. Does anybody know how that started and became commonplace?

According to Webster, both are accepted pronunciations ...

:-)

• Like 1

"Haw-thorne" :tongue:

• Like 3

Joa - quin

:-)

If you listen to some old recordings from the 60's and 70's you will hear the announcers say it with the 'y' sound sometimes. In Spanish "LL" is an actual letter of the alphabet (and so is "ch" pronounced chey.) Any word with a double L is pronounced with the y sound i.e. tortilla (tortiya), ella (eya) and of course caballero (cabayero - meaning gentleman.)

I would imagine that since you would have to be speaking spanish for it to count, it is perfectly acceptable to pronounce the L's in English.

This message has been brought to you by the New York State Education Department and their mandatory 4 years of foreign language studies. :tongue:

Edited by Skylinersop16
  • Like 1

Amarillo Texas is another example of this... I don't know the real answer but one might infer that is has to do with the fact that the corps was founded by a bunch of guys from New Jersey rather than Spain. :silly:

• Like 5

I pronounce it....

HISTORIC

• Like 2