The Cadets - 2014

second-tier design

as an alum i am shocked that the cadets are putting out something this vanilla. even in tough years, they at least TRY something... not this year

ugh

Well I mean it's definitely far from unique, especially compared to the other top 12 corps. But calling it second-tier may be a bit far. The musical arrangements are almost as great as they were last year.

• Like 1

The closer had the moments I was waiting for the rest of the show, enjoyed that. Well, can't say I am repulsed by the naration, but can't say the show a must see for me based on this. Drill looked strange, maybe the angle? Drums are fantastic again, brass is great, and the guard looks promising. Love the talent, not the show unfortunately, but I don't hate it.

I was waiting for the Obama quotes, Mr. Hopkins didn't fail me. :ninja:

Edited by DrumManTx

Just watched the cadets 2014 on YouTube live stream technically talented especialy the drumline but as usual show fails to get my heart pumping less technicality and more pure emotion and passion is needed in DCI. Let's see how the show transforms over the summer. Also drill looked clean already but they did not march 3 part of the show.

• Like 1

The Copland stuff has been done so much (1987, 1996, 2009 Crown) that it just doesn't seem to work in a straight-up arrangement, just comes accross as stale. Swing-y stuff for the 30s/WW2, etc...it just seems so rehashed.

The ramp lacks any elegance or visual appeal. I've seen a few pictures with colored panels, which honestly don't help much...and that worked not so well in 2013.

Overall...it's a pastiche of older Cadets Americana shows (1996, 1987, 2002) and the inclusion of slow, deliberate, and simple platitudes about presidents & the .5 second clips of the "Idiot's Guide to the Top 10 Presidential Speeches" doesn't really add a lot.

This is a #### good corps. Musically, wonderful. For a first dress rehearsal in front of audience, I'm very impressed with the quality overall. Narration is OK. I like when they mix and match with narrator and actual historical recordings and utilize them to generate effect (the war section works especially well in that regard). It seems pretty certain that aspects of the narration will probably change the most throughout the summer. Timing, pacing, actual words and phrases being edited or deleted or added and such. So, I can't get all wrapped up that part of the program as if it's what we're going to be hearing come August because it probably won't. For now, that stuff is what I consider to be a reasonable start (with some actual promise) with some work to be done there. I really love the arrangements. The stage, I need to see more of how it's being used. I couldn't really get a read on that via the wide shot on the webcam. And seeing the guard uniforms and show flags will help I'm sure. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the show develops over the summer. Thank you Cadets for sharing this with us! Well done.

second-tier design

as an alum i am shocked that the cadets are putting out something this vanilla. even in tough years, they at least TRY something... not this year

ugh

Disagree that it is second tier design. I think the show has a lot of potential. Seems like you can't get past the theme, no matter what they did with it.

• Like 2

I was really impressed with how the hornline sounded and the battery was amazing. The arrangements were awesome. Taking the angle into account, I wasn't too impressed with the drill and haven't been since 2010 or so. I'm excited to see this show develop.

Last year it took me a good 6 weeks into the tour to really start enjoying the shows. I think this show will mature nicely over the summer.

My summary observations:

-Brass: Hard to analyze over YouTube, but it sounds like they are off to a good start.

-Guard: Already seem like they are in mid-season form . . . they could be very good.

-Perc: Good god the battery is on fire already! They are going to be beast once again, in case anyone ever had any doubt. CPit also sounded good. I thought all the crash cymbals in the closer was overkill. I think some keyboard runs would make sense and make the hit a little less vanilla and rote.

I don't mind the narration, but I do mind that #### stage. Did Hopkins not learn his lesson from last year?

• Like 1