2014 Rules Proposals

actually if you have no idea where to look, the sheets arent that easy to find.

this is a great topic to for DCI to keep doing Dan Potter pieces on like they did for field sheets last year

If we are in agreement that most people have a better understanding of the performance sheets (Music & Vis), and a lesser understanding of the GE sheets, then the sheets ARE fairly easy to find with a simple google search.

I googled "DCI General Effect sheets" and here is what I found:

http://www.google.com/#q=DCI+General+Effect+sheets&safe=active&surl=1

The #1 hit = the article from a few springs ago describing the reasoning of why the GE sheets were changed, how they were changed, what they changed to, etc. And includes the GE sheets in the article.

Of course, reading this stuff, and having a true understanding of how the sheets are implemented by specific judges are two different things. But you can't really fault DCI for trying to educate - the did a good job explaining the sheet changes, posted the actual GE sheets, and are still easily found. Perhaps DCI writing a simple article in the spring explaining all of the sheets in a broad way would help people more

Entertainment Effect? Again? Haven't we gotten this right yet? Impossible to measure. I'd rather have some kind of audience txting or ballot system....both prone to abuse, but I trust the audience.

Goodness NO! The last kind of judging I would want is for a partisian crowd to homer-pick their favorite corps. I can hardly stomach the "professionals" judging the corps, let alone subjecting scoring to a crowd mentality.

Fan voting would be a total dissaster. In fact, it's already been a dissaster. You don't have to go back any further in time than the first year of the TOC's where DCI dabbled in fan voting. It just doesn't work. The only way that fan voting could work if it was based on a much larger, national audience - say for the viewers at home on the fan network. In this case the voters would be spread out geographically and provide a better overall sampling. Even still, you'd be turning the competition into a beauty contest... and that, I'm afraid, would be an ugly thing!

If we are in agreement that most people have a better understanding of the performance sheets (Music & Vis), and a lesser understanding of the GE sheets, then the sheets ARE fairly easy to find with a simple google search.

I googled "DCI General Effect sheets" and here is what I found:

http://www.google.com/#q=DCI+General+Effect+sheets&safe=active&surl=1

The #1 hit = the article from a few springs ago describing the reasoning of why the GE sheets were changed, how they were changed, what they changed to, etc. And includes the GE sheets in the article.

Of course, reading this stuff, and having a true understanding of how the sheets are implemented by specific judges are two different things. But you can't really fault DCI for trying to educate - the did a good job explaining the sheet changes, posted the actual GE sheets, and are still easily found. Perhaps DCI writing a simple article in the spring explaining all of the sheets in a broad way would help people more

i think more of the videos like last year for the field sheets are the way to go.

I can't imagine that there's a majority for either.

So how surprised were you by the results, Jeff?

Maybe all of this has to do with the American attitude of things should change for me, I shouldn't have to change for anything.

So how surprised were you by the results, Jeff?

I wasn't. While i didn't expect the brass one to pass, i can see why it did.