2014 Rules Proposals

I thought adding electronics was suppose to change the sound "palette". Corps have had soloist miked mixed with effects to change the sound. I don't see adding these instruments adding anything unless you need a trombone gliss or stopped horn sound. Eliminate electronics on the field, and I'd be for adding these instruments. Sousaphone adds nothing to the sound except marching with a sousaphone vs marching tuba. Just watch BOA if you want to see both on the field.

A concert french horn is also a significantly effective timbre if used well. I've seen it happen (and I was a doubter before I saw it in person), and the effect was stunning.

Sousaphone, though, I can't imagine what that would offer vs current convertible tubas. Maybe more sound/better construction? I'm not a brass player so I don't know that type of thing very well.

If I remember correctly you cannot use a synthesized voice of a brass instrument/s. So you cannot use a synthesized trombone gliss. Could be wrong

*edit - I think you can't use synthesized brass, but accidentally wrote can. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by perc2100

Have you looked at the current sheets? I would say the GE judges are indeed judging to the verbiage of the sheets. The actual words on the effect sheets as they relate to this discussion/rules change:

* "How effectively do the performers engage the audience through their excellence, communication skills, and emotional commitment?"

It's all about "engaging" the audience, not necessarily "playing songs in an entertaining fashion in order to generate loud, sustained applause if not standing ovations." There are a myriad of ways to engage an audience, and only some of them involve making the audience cheer.

Of course, that is a lot of subjective thinking. Personally "Empire State of Mind" didn't do a lot of me, and Phantom Regiment 2008 was good but not great IMO (musically performed great, design, especially visually, was meh IMO). That's different of course, but there are some DCI judges I know who feel that way as well, and obviously plenty of judges love Blue Devils' recent show designs (rightfully so) while some fans might not feel "entertained."

I think we should all end this nonsense and just give out a legit "Fan Favorite" type of award. It should have no bering on the adjudicated score, and fans can vote for anyone they want to regardless of placement (i.e. Troopers could win Fan Favorite while coming in 15 place). That would let corps be recognized for designing shows trying to appeal to fans; fans could feel like a legit part of the judging system, and corps who want to continue to do shows that are academically engaging that might not have a toe-tapping/hand-clapping pop melody or theme can still succeed based on their merits & how they design to the sheets.

I'm very familiar with the new sheets, and I've heard several GE tapes since the sheets came out. and I agree, which is my point...playing stuff people know isn't going to get you points, nor should it. and knowing how DCa "uses" the communication type of thing...again, the show with the highest score last year was overly dependent on part of the triad of effect for their show.

if you're a judge, way up in the box, how are you able to tell if the "audience is engaged" if you follow the true wording on the sheet to the utmost literal way possible? You can't unless you're ignoring the corps and looking the stands to see if the silence is awe and wonderment, or people playing on their smart phones.

The problem is that people know the new sheets, and take the wording to be literal to the max.

the sheets are in a way, misworded. the audience isnt the fans...it's the effect judges.

A concert french horn is also a significantly effective timbre if used well. I've seen it happen (and I was a doubter before I saw it in person), and the effect was stunning.

Sousaphone, though, I can't imagine what that would offer vs current convertible tubas. Maybe more sound/better construction? I'm not a brass player so I don't know that type of thing very well.

If I remember correctly you can use a synthesized voice of a brass instrument/s. So you can use a synthesized trombone gliss. Could be wrong

what do you need sousas for anyways? the low end synth patch will just cover it up

And a G horn of ANY type from Kanstul is less expensive than a Bb from Kanstul.

Only because Kanstul doesn't do deals with corps. Most corps have deals with Yamaha/King/Jupiter to get their instruments. Kanstuls are expensive, since they're bullet-proof and don't deal, which is why corps don't use them.

what do you need sousas for anyways? the low end synth patch will just cover it up

I'm starting to see the need for Sousaphones. For example, say you're looking at a corps performance and your significant other forgets what corps you are viewing. Those letter appliques so often found on Sousaphones can be used to alleviate such a conundrum.

Nothing would look better on a drum corps field than to see those white Sousaphone's with the letters "P H A N T O M" across the top of the bell. One viewing of the 16 strong Sousaphone line will assure you that you're viewing the Phantom Regiment.

The entertainment category is too subjective.

Based on the sometimes wild disparity in scores when there are double judges in a caption, I'm not *any* of the current categories are any better. I'm all for anything that puts more "higher, louder, faster" into drum corps. Drum corps is at its best when the emotion trumps the technique.

Mike

Based on the sometimes wild disparity in scores when there are double judges in a caption, I'm not *any* of the current categories are any better. I'm all for anything that puts more "higher, louder, faster" into drum corps. Drum corps is at its best when the emotion trumps the technique.

Mike

then judge the current effect sheet as it's written as I've said.

I'm starting to see the need for Sousaphones. For example, say you're looking at a corps performance and your significant other forgets what corps you are viewing. Those letter appliques so often found on Sousaphones can be used to alleviate such a conundrum.

Nothing would look better on a drum corps field than to see those white Sousaphone's with the letters "P H A N T O M" across the top of the bell. One viewing of the 16 strong Sousaphone line will assure you that you're viewing the Phantom Regiment.

That is why they march 16, right?

And a G horn of ANY type from Kanstul is less expensive than a Bb from Kanstul.

IIRC back in the ancient piston/rotor or 2-piston era, by holding down the 3rd valve of a B-flat horn (trumpet/baritone, t would change the key to G, and one could play the 2-valve bugle parts. There was even discussion on allowing B-flat horns thus modified as a way for smaller, newer corps to break into the activity using band instruments.

Yes.... BUT they make their sound with a reed like most of the other woodwinds.

....but a flute doesn't.... :tounge2:

So what exactly does the proposal say. Any brass instrument, or any brass instrument without a reed?

OK my bad I should have looked - DCI has it posted - it requires the player to buzz lips.

Never mind.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra