DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

These are not "new colors". They have been around for many years, and we can all see exactly what the designers can do with them in the marching band activity already.

Come to think of it, if that was an attraction for many people, then the audiences at those marching band shows would be eclipsing drum corps audiences.

When you describe it that way, it does not sound like tinfoil hat material. After all, the decision makers include all the 22 member corps of DCI, in contrast to an "activity" which has another 20 or so corps mostly doing the same sort of things. Maybe the 22 who vote believe (rightly or wrongly) that their own personal interests are representative of the activity as a whole.

You cannot force people to support something they do not like. I think yours is the "high horse", if you think you have the right to dictate to people that they provide eternal, unconditional support to DCI. If we care about kids, there are thousands of other youth activities to which we can direct our support.

Wait - is this about the kids, or about the adults?

Well, that answers that question.

Most of your responses might make sense if drum corps was a black and white, zero-sum game that existed in a vacuum.

As for high horsing - you're absolutely right. There are plenty of youth arts groups that you can support in one way or another. However, I doubt very much that the people saying they will no longer support the activity will simply fade into the shadows, instead waving flags about how the activity has changed for the worse for many months (or years) to come.

Has anyone created a petition to remove crying about silly changes in DCI?

Saying adding trombones and other brass instruments will lead to the inclusion of woodwinds, is quite similar to the argument of gay marriage will lead to people marrying sheep.

/facepalm

• Like 4

And the stupidity continues. How long will the clowns who run DCI be allowed to continue to run the Drum Corps activity into the ground? It should be clear to everyone that the Drum Corps activity began its decline at the same time that Drum Corps started looking & sounding more & more like marching bands. What made the Drum Corps activity great & so popular was the fact the Drum Corps were so much DIFFERENT than bands.

You have this wrong. Bands are sounding more like drum corps. If you look over the last 50 years, bands have made much greater movement toward drum corps than drum corps toward bands.

Where is the DCI annoucement on this? With a rule change this big and discussion of the leaked proceedings going on since early this past weekend, it's almost 11am now and no official statement from the DCI offices.

C'mon DCI, get your act together! You've had all weekend to craft a perfect press release! Where is it?

I do not understand the rationale behind this change. Take these, for example:

The membership was very supportive, citing the potential growth in interest by students in drum corps as a major driver.

Admit it, us marching members are a dying breed.

A dying breed? Nearly every corps with legitimate competitive opportunity is filling their hornline and then some. They have to turn kids away in droves at auditions. Even if there were legions of disenfranchised trombone players ready to show up at February camps, there is no room for them at those corps.

To paraphrase James Mason of the Madison Scouts: He stated his first rules congress with Gail Royer was concerned with going two valve..and Gail said we are no longer drum corps. He goes on to state that percussion arrangers have had a full palet to choose from for years, brass arrangers should have that as well.

He addressed trombones specifically, in that a fine trombone player might thing twice about putting down his instrument for three months (summer), but now they don't have to.

And this fantasy about allowing the trombone player to participate fully in a top DCI corps? Not if "participate" includes drill. By that logic, we should eliminate the ban on using water in DCI shows because lots of kids are swimmers, and only then could they put their primary talent to use on the DCI field, and how can we deny that if we care about kids?

We have kids. What we need is corps.

• Like 1

I've held all along the drum corps is and has always been a form of marching band - from its inception to now. I don't know if it's shame or something else that riles people up when they hear the two likened (especially by the unenlightened masses), but it's pretty tired and played out in my book. Drum corps is drum corps because of the experience and the people, not the key or number of valves of the horns they're holding.

I've held all along that a string quartet is no different from any other instrumental ensemble -- from its inception to now. I don't if it's shame or something else that riles people up when the suggestion of replacing the cello and viola with a trombone and clarinet is raised, but it's pretty tired and played out in my book.

We have kids. What we need is corps.

Well.... kids willing to go to less competitive corps if they don't make their dream corps.

But some of that is based on cost (I've had threads about this in years past) so who am I or anyone else to judge...

• Like 1

ooops... hit quote instead of edit....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You have this wrong. Bands are sounding more like drum corps. If you look over the last 50 years, bands have made much greater movement toward drum corps than drum corps toward bands.

Sir you are absolutely off the mark here.

While marching bands have progressed tons from John Phillips Sousa style Box drill marching it's still band.

On the other hand the art form that we once called drum and bugle corps is nothing more that modern band. I really see no difference in the two today with the exception of the woodwind voice. And regardless of the chatter and noise about how the directors don't want it... Yesterday's vote proves they are working in that direction. The direction of a all inclusive drum and band field and dance ensemble.