DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I'm actually excited for the kids this summer with trombones on the field. I've never seen a trombone slide surgically removed from a head before after crashing into it at 220 BPM. Should make for great entertainment.

And just in time for Drumline2 the movie release. Maybe DCI can get get Nick Canon to do a guest appearance at DCI finals in the booth with Steve Rodinero. Imagine the excitement and the new audience that will bring in for DCI. DCI sure is on top of their game on this one!

O boy I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about this. Gotta go put in my DVD to Glee now. See ya!

• Like 4

and you must be very new to the activity....DCA will follow, they are always just a few steps behind

Yeppers

You're not going to see full lines of french horns, trombones or sousaphones. You may see them used as solo or small ensemble instruments, and for sound or visual effects. I'm totally fine with this rule change.

Agreed. No way will the visual people want to deal with Trombone issues, and the French Horns are also more than a bit difficult to move and project with. They're definitely gonna use them with mikes for specific solos.

Agreed. No way will the visual people want to deal with Trombone issues, and the French Horns are also more than a bit difficult to move and project with. They're definitely gonna use them with mikes for specific solos.

no reason not to use woodwinds just as you describe in your post, right?

I wonder if Madison is next going to "dot the i" in their script.

Yes, I'm feeling just a little snarky, thank you.

Without breaking a sweat, I can think of 2 Big Ten bands that don't use woodwinds - OSU and Wisconsin. Maybe they should compete and show them how it's done. I challenge any "drum corps" to try performing while marching "stop at the top" style.

• Like 1

Madison IS doing a all Kenton show this seaon. Anyone want to take bets on how many features they will have in the show with trombones?

Even though it stopped being drum and BUGLE corps the second they started adding rotors and valves, why not cling to history? It's been drum corps forever guys, I don't think anyone alive today marched when they were actually pure bugles.

• Like 1

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

I'd argue that changes little over time, especially in the last 10 years...

As for always about the kids, that makes DCI sound like the kids sports and arts events where the only people who show up know a participant or are connected with putting on the event. IOW - if it wasn't for that they would be home and not care less. Used to be more of a relationship between corps and the local area but things changed and not just in DC.

Sorry but every time I read "it's all about the kids" I wonder if the people speaking is a current member and is saying in effect "It's all about meeeeee". And if I want to be a fan of kids I can support groups that provide more basic needs than arts.

Yeah, that is the big problem...the huge added expense. I know Roman hates spending money on stuff like that, just to be competitive and stay in the fold and to appease that horn or music guy that will only be with the corps for what, two years maybe until they move on.

I hope it's just the winter blues but if camp numbers reported don't improve they are going to need all the electronic help they can get this season.