DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

i have no doubt that its far more now than ever.....look at all the HS circuits now...the huge bands...these things didnt exsist bitd...i was in a HS with many drum corps people and 1 was in band....nawwwwww way more now than bitd.......and lets not forget the HUGE WGI HS support..if it werent for High Schools in WGI it wouldnt exsist

Are we talking school bands, marching bands or competing marching bands? Harrisburg area there are a lot more competing bands than before. But every HS school that I know of had a MB BITD and most were just used for football. But there have been schools (mainly inner city) where the music program has gone to crap over the years and a 100 member band from the 70s is a few dozen if lucky. As far as totaling up and comparing numbers from the eras I have no idea besides looking at individual schools and saying... bigger... smaller ... no idea...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

65 pages on a topic that isn't official yet, is this a new DCP record?

We had a line of flugelhorns in The Cavaliers when I joined in 1975. They took the place of 3rd sopranos.

We also had a line of marching french horns in The Cavaliers in '90 to play the lower middle voice part; they had a line of frenchies in '93 too.

Apparently the brass community has standardized around specific brass instruments as acceptible pretty recently and not very many recent people know that there are a bunch of alternate instruments available.

• Like 1

Are we talking school bands, marching bands or competing marching bands? Harrisburg area there are a lot more competing bands than before. But there have been schools (mainly inner city) where the music program has gone to crap and a 100 member band from the 70s is a few dozen if lucky. As far as totaling up and comparing numbers from the eras I have no idea besides looking at individual schools and saying... bigger... smaller ... no idea...

i just mean in general BUT I do think alot of inner city programs are all but gone...marching band ( competitive ) is far greater IMO.....and although still a stigma to it....far more popular than BITD...there's some huge HS bands out there and smaller great quality ones also....I teach a few bands literally with waiting lists to get in r kids standing on sidelines waiting for someone to screw up to get in...didnt see that BITD...at least I didnt....I never would have marched in my HS band...lol

i just mean in general BUT I do think alot of inner city programs are all but gone...marching band ( competitive ) is far greater IMO.....and although still a stigma to it....far more popular than BITD...there's some huge HS bands out there and smaller great quality ones also....I teach a few bands literally with waiting lists to get in r kids standing on sidelines waiting for someone to screw up to get in...didnt see that BITD...at least I didnt....I never would have marched in my HS band...lol

I doubt you're referring to the inner city of Chicago, where I teach. Virtually no school in the city limits have a marching band. I am sure, however, that it is very different outside this area. Of course we have marching bands in the burbs, but not really in the city.

I doubt you're referring to the inner city of Chicago, where I teach. Virtually no school in the city limits have a marching band. I am sure, however, that it is very different outside this area. Of course we have marching bands in the burbs, but not really in the city.

like I said alot of inner city programs are all but gone unfortunately.....where it's needed most

like I said alot of inner city programs are all but gone unfortunately.....where it's needed most

My bad, misread. I totally agree.

i have no doubt that its far more now than ever...

Ok, but I have no doubt that you are incorrect. I believe that the percentages of eligible students in the nation's schools that are now participating in H.S. Marching Band is down from say 20 years ago ( say mid 90's ). While some schools very good Marching Bands have maintained or even slightly increased their Marching Band numbers since the 90's ( some in the Marching Band circuits ), many others have lost the numbers they once had ( NESBA numbers are down, for example ). Futhermore, the inner city schools that once had at least some small Marching Bands in earlier eras, no longer field a H.S. Marching Band at all these days, and the few that do, their marcher numbers in their Marching Band are down, and in many cases way down. So we'll just have to agree to disagree that rates are up. I believe, when looked at nationally, the numbers .. percentage of student eligibility vs. actual student participation rates, I'm referring to here keep in mind too, is down, not up.

Edited by BRASSO

We need to have an actual French horn for that solo part, just like symphony orchestras would have!

And we need to need to mike the soloist, just like symph--er...

in the concert halll -- no. in some other venues....sure !!

And I'm not sure anyone anywhere has said "NEED". Now it's just 'available'. Still needs to make sense in show context.