I want a corps to go Full Hopkins

I would really like to see a corps be allowed to go all the way to what some people assume is Hopkins/Gibbs idea. It would be interesting if a corps were able and willing to come out with woodwinds, props, narration, and fully integrated synths and narration, coupled with an innovative and effective approach to visual design and staging. It would be a fascinating experiment, right? People would finally be able to judge, on merit, what the best designers could do with a "full palette," the best and most mature members, and an entire summer to clean, etc. Then, if people hated it, they'd have solid evidence of The Suck.

Conversely, I'd love to see a corps go the opposite direction--roll back the aesthetic to, say, 1981 Blue Devils. I doubt you'd be able to get a whole line of G bugles, and 2 valves or valve/rotors would be out of the question. But that type of arranging and approach. Assuming top 12 talent, that could sound pretty rad...Anyway, this too could be judged on merit. Not necessarily by DCI judges, though it would be interesting, but by fans.

It's unlikely the 2nd will ever happen in DCI, but I think it's wholly possible that BD or Cadets will do something like the first in the next 10 years. Whether they drop out of competition and how that changes the activity (or not) would have a profound impact on the future of drum corps, I feel. I actually hope BD would do that and not Cadets, because Cadets' shows since 2007 have been much more traditional, at times downright conservative (with narrative attempts overlaid), while the Blue Devils have been pushing things in terms of design, staging, etc.

Interesting idea. Everything evil in drum corps is attributed to our friend George. More than a few posters have attributed the rule change regarding trombones, French horns, and sousaphones to him, but I do believe that the idea was proposed by Madison Scouts, a darling corps of old school enthusiasts like me, and up to this point, the only Facebook photos I have seen of trombones is from Madison. With the ways George is vilified over and over, my guess is that to have a Full Hopkins show you'd just need to take 2011 Cadets show, remove the angels, and just leave the demons. A close second place to George is Mr. Gibb's Blue Devils, and while I'm not exactly a Blue Devils fan, I'm sure that "Cabaret Voltaire" followed by "Rewrite of Spring" is why there is unrest in Ukraine and Venezuela, the cold and snow so many of us have had to endure this winter is BD's fault, and why a lasting peace is not possible in the Middle East.

• Like 3

French horns and tubas and trombones OH MY!

Well, you can already see what you're proposing happen by watching some of the top end BoA shows. Do you think it will be something DCI fans want? I can hear both sides of this saying "YESSS!" and NOOO!".

As Bands go, it can be pretty cool. The real question is whether this niche/spectrum of the activity truly wants or should be that, and that's when the arguments begin from all directions.

And as I've said on a couple of other threads- they already can virtually reproduce WW sections using digital technology if they want those timbres represented in their arrangements.

Cute phrase evoking the Wizard of Oz!!! The thing is that it is even more comical than that!!! Sousaphones, not Tubas; they are two different instruments. And it is Sousaphones which have been added along with Trombones and Concert French Horns. Question is who would play the Sousaphone? The Scarecrow? The Tin Man? I would vote the Cowardly Lion!

Cute phrase evoking the Wizard of Oz!!! The thing is that it is even more comical than that!!! Sousaphones, not Tubas; they are two different instruments. And it is Sousaphones which have been added along with Trombones and Concert French Horns. Question is who would play the Sousaphone? The Scarecrow? The Tin Man? I would vote the Cowardly Lion!

I think Phantom would do french horns well. Lots of classical rep using french horns.

Sousas? Not so much.