The Progression of Performance Art in DCI

Was the Gaga vomit an attempt at art? I am also confused.

An attempt at self-expression. Maybe a cigar is just a cigar, to quote Freud.

Some of this sounds like the people who protested and removed Harry Potter books from school libraries because they read some Satanic sub-text into it, when the kids just thought they were good books. Some things in life just need to be taken at face value, not everything has a deep, dark immoral sub-text behind it.

Some of this sounds like the people who protested and removed Harry Potter books from school libraries because they read some Satanic sub-text into it, when the kids just thought they were good books. Some things in life just need to be taken at face value, not everything has a deep, dark immoral sub-text behind it.

And he asked what is the face value? Is it art? And you dodged the question by responding it was an attempt at self expression? What does that mean? Is self expression art?

And he asked what is the face value? Is it art? And you dodged the question by responding it was an attempt at self expression? What does that mean? Is self expression art?

What do you think it is? Is self expression always art, or could it just be someone doing something to express themselves? I didn't dodge the question, I think it was an act of self expression, but I don't consider it "performance art" the way Stu wants us all to.

Maybe she thought it would be something crazy to try for a concert, as a one-time deal. Heck, Alice Cooper still has made a career of being murdered multiple times in his concerts, and he's been doing that for 40 years. Where is Stu's outrage at that?

What do you think it is? Is self expression always art, or could it just be someone doing something to express themselves? I didn't dodge the question, I think it was an act of self expression, but I don't consider it "performance art" the way Stu wants us all to.

Maybe she thought it would be something crazy to try for a concert, as a one-time deal. Heck, Alice Cooper still has made a career of being murdered multiple times in his concerts, and he's been doing that for 40 years. Where is Stu's outrage at that?

So that's a "no"?

Edited by HockeyDad

So that's a "no"?

It's whatever you want. Call it self-expression, call it art, call it whatever you want. It still has no real connection with DCI shows and their design direction.

• Like 1

A cigar is sometimes a cigar: Ok…. Illness is not a form of self-expression. Did Millie Brown happen to vomit on Gaga due to some sort of illness and it manifested itself accidently? Nope; it was done on purpose so it was not that type of cigar. Everything we purposely say or do in public is a form of self-expression; everything. Did Millie Brown purposely vomit on Gaga? Yep; so it was a cigar of self-expression. But there are many types of self-expression cigars; so the self-expression can be evaluated to determine the type of cigar it is. Where did the self-expression occur, who is Millie Brown, who is Gaga, and what was the motive? Millie Brown claims to be an artist who engages in vomit painting; Gaga, who also claims to be a performing artist, asked Millie Brown to purposely vomit on her on a performing art stage while Gaga was engaging in what she claims was performance art; and this was done in front of thousands of Gaga fans. So was it a cigar of self-expression 'intended to be' performing art by Gaga and Brown? Duhhhh, Yeah!!!

Edited by Stu

A cigar is sometimes a cigar: Ok…. Illness is not a form of self-expression. Did Millie Brown happen to vomit on Gaga due to some sort of illness and it manifested itself accidently? Nope; it was done on purpose so it was not that type of cigar. Everything we purposely say or do in public is a form of self-expression; everything. Did Millie Brown purposely vomit on Gaga? Yep; so it was a cigar of self-expression. But there are many types of self-expression cigars; so the self-expression can be evaluated to determine the type of cigar it is. Where did the self-expression occur, who is Millie Brown, who is Gaga, and what was the motive? Millie Brown claims to be an artist who engages in vomit painting; Gaga, who also claims to be a performing artist, asked Millie Brown to purposely vomit on her on a performing art stage while Gaga was engaging in what she claims was performance art; and this was done in front of thousands of Gaga fans. So was it a cigar of self-expression intended to be performing art by Gaga and Brown? Duhhhh, Yeah!!!

Well, according to this article there has been backlash that her performance glorified bulimia (perhaps a fairer criticism than saying it was just 'immoral'). However, the artist Millie Brown says that "My performance is not a statement about eating disorders in any way..."I think the whole bulimia thing—it's important for people to know that I'm not trying to promote it."

And she says this about her art. "I started exploring performance art and it was an idea that came to be because I wanted to use my body to create a performance that was about the beauty from inside out. I came up with the idea of actually vomiting a rainbow using my body as a tool to create paintings. It's also about the whole process of the painting. Obviously the paintings themselves can be beautiful or not, but the whole process behind it is what interested me."

Just take it for what it is but at-least from the artist's perspective her intentions for the art do not come from an immoral or depraved place (though disgusting!)

Her paintings sell for $20,000!!

http://www.eonline.com/news/522560/lady-gaga-s-vomit-artist-defends-throwing-up-onstage-my-performance-does-not-promote-eating-disorders

Edited by charlie1223