What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

well..lol..some call it interesting many call it :shutup:

I guess so. There are many other things around here that are :shutup: , so my goal has been to be open and understanding to all ideas even if they #### me off. :tounge2:

lol..step outside dcp..wont be hard to get an answer...lol...most people know......even those here...to bad...but interesting could be one of the descriptions :biggrin:

In the kindest way, "Et Tu, Brute." Nice...very nice. I appreciate your humor. :smile:

well thats good...could be enlightening ...i know it has been for me and others :lookaround:

A DCP idea...

If it's funny, it's funny. If it's bad, it's bad. If it's maddening, it's maddening... If it's good it's not DCP... :mellow:

We all laugh at all the comments around here regardless of who posts them if warranted...

Edited by jjeffeory

Kum bay Ya,. M'Lord....Kum bay yaaaaa....

Kum bay Y'a, M'Lord...Kum by yaaaaaa......

:sarcasm:

now whos the funny one....lmao..................OH you did say :sarcasm: :grouphug:

Yep, I did...gotcha :silly:

The question is very simple. Which of the options primarily distinguishes our activity as unique?

Edit: How you interpret "drum and bugle corps" is completely left up to you; please let us know how you determined which metric to interpret the question with!

I contend that drum and bugle corps is the moniker applied to a summer music experience wherein participants work in close, sustained proximity on a product designed to be executed with a high degree of excellence (by virtue of the time spent preparing and the talent of the performers) while gaining experiences, lessons, and relationships that transcend the bounds of the physical activity itself.

you left off an option:

yes

Why do some of you all object so strongly to drum corps being identified as a type of marching band?

I cannot speak for "you all", only for myself - but here goes. Quite simply, it is terminology.

Drum corps and marching band are two different things. This is undeniable fact, evidenced by the practice of those who have organized field competitions over the past 90 years - they have established and maintained separate divisions for the two species, due to their differences in instrumentation, usage and intent.

I am well aware that they are similar, and that some people like to underscore that thought by describing drum corps as a subset of a wider category of marching arts which marching bands also inhabit. But marching band is also a subset of the marching arts. If we called that wider category "marching band", then "marching band" would have to be a subset of "marching band", which makes no sense. At times, when people state it in such blunt terms as "drum corps is marching band", I am left to wonder if they are thinking how little sense that makes, or if they merely want to rattle the cage of some legacy drum corps person.

I mean, it is in a literal sense what drum corp is.

No. In a literal sense, "marching band" is taking a pre-existing "band" and putting it on the march. By definition, the intent of "marching band" is to use whatever instrumentation the band includes. This is why American scholastic marching bands typically field brass, woodwinds and percussion, mirroring the ensemble format so prevalent in the schools. That is also why some bands here and there have employed vocalists, piano and strings - just like some bands here and there in the concert setting. Likewise, electronics have crept into the scholastic band scene both indoors and outdoors.

Meanwhile, "drum corps" came into existence as a form of military signaling in the pre-electronic era. The devices used by drum corps (drums, bugles, even flags) were selected for their durability and effectiveness in the environment they were to be used (outdoors). When veterans returning from World War I sought a peacetime activity to maintain their esprit de corps, drum corps was a natural and practical choice. And when veterans and others got the idea to establish marching music contests, the outdoor effectiveness of drum corps made it at least as viable a choice as the more musically adept marching band (evidently more so, if you judge by audience sizes). It was with that intent that drum corps has enjoyed 90 years of organized field competition.

Much has changed over that time, but drum corps and marching band still have that basic difference in intent. Right now, that difference of intent results in at least one basic difference in instrumentation (woodwinds). Even if that changes, there is a question regarding whether the resulting usage would be a band-style approach of balancing brass to the woodwinds, or a corps-style approach like that of Japan and Europe where brass exploits the full dynamic range.

So, what quality does a marching band have that is so objectionable?

None - I like marching band. I like drum corps more. As long as we have both to choose from, that is fine.

After reading dozens of posts on DCP about the issue (why, Lord, why?), I have concluded that the only reason that some here want to differentiate "drum corps" from "marching band" is tribalism, aka snobbery.

Well, I hope you now realize it is not that simple.

• Like 2

... In a literal sense, "marching band" is taking a pre-existing "band" and putting it on the march...

So, I take it then that in the literal sense… the family, friends, and other musicians who gather to march in second-lines at funerals in New Orleans they are ‘not’ marching bands because they are not pre-existing bands but actually an improve collection of musicians; also the musical ensembles which march through the streets of Brazil are thus ‘not’ marching bands because most of them are not pre-existing musical ensembles but also typically consist of an improve collection of musicians; ad infinitum. Is that literally correct ,or would you like to adjust your position on the definition of a marching band?