Controversy in WGI and DCI

To be fair, I'm not sure 'graceful and refined sexual' body movement is in the realm of possibility for Miss Piggy. Any two of those things, maybe, but not all three at once.

Just wait for it. Miss Piggy is scheduled to twerk bump and grind in an upcoming WGI IW guard show designed by a progressive art designer pushing the envelope beyond Kama Sutra into the realm of ‘Muppet Bunny Ranch Nude Pole Dancing in Space’ (it will be done, of course, in a graceful, artistic, athletic, rhythmic, well performed, and refined manner).

Just wait for it. Miss Piggy is scheduled to twerk bump and grind in an upcoming WGI IW guard show designed by a progressive art designer pushing the envelope beyond Kama Sutra into the realm of ‘Muppet Bunny Ranch Nude Pole Dancing in Space’ (it will be done, of course, in a graceful, artistic, athletic, rhythmic, well performed, and refined manner).

All of which should assist NASA in procuring an additional billion dollars from the Federal budget, I'm sure.

And as long as they vomit on each other, because that's just the next step on the road to hell, correct?

• Like 3

Watched Fantasia 2012 again last night, does anyone know what the piece is that they used? It's familiar, but I can't place it. Maybe Strauss?

the article wasnt a hollywood article . But you ae right , the Hollywood version of real life was not what the real world was, although many believed at the time it was or should be. The point of posting this was there was hysteria over rock and roll. Fire and brimstone, pitch forks, the devil taking over the kids...Silly hysteria in the long run ignored and continued. My point was , as I wrote at the bottom.................IT SOUNDS FAMILIAR

That article was highly critical of suburban, male,white people of the 50's, and thats fair game, I suppose.

But lets bring this up to date here in DCI as we look back at the 50's where this article created a mostly unbalanced, jaded, and thoroughly cynical view of things in the 50's:

Would you say that we have more marchers or fewer marchers that are Black and that that come from the inner cities doing Drum Corps today than in the 50's and 60's. ?

Can you name the black composers that DCI Corps draw upon today for their musical compositions in shows ? .Now that you've done so, would you say there are more black composers drawn upon for inspiration today by DCI Corps, or do you think that BITD of the 50's and 60's, music arrangers BITD utilized more music selections in their shows from black composers ?

How many Blacks are there that are Corps Directors in World Class Division Corps ? How many Women serve as Corps Directors ? How many Blacks and Women currently serve on the Board of Directors of the current DCI standard bearer DCI World Class Champion Corps ? What is the percentages of minorities in the DCI judging ranks of DCI today ? How many women and minorities are in charge of writing the all important visual show design in DCI ? How many minorities are in the booth during the DCI Championships ? ( not breathlessly running around the field below to interview marchers as they come off the field ) How many announcers at shows across the country at DCI shows are minorities. ? We see minority advancements in pro sports teams participation from the 50's to today that is stunningly remarkable in its transformation from the 50's. Compared to what we see at the college and pro sports level in the sports of football, baseball, basketball, Drum Corps regarding advancements in participation rates from the early 50's to today, under the banner of DCI, how would you grade the advancements of participation by persons of color compared with these sports ( afterall, increasingly some want to call this a youth competitive " sport " in some quarters). Would you give a mark of " A " ? ...... " B" ?......... " C" ?......... " D " ?....... or....... " F " ? compared with the other " sports " minority participation rate improvements from the 50's to today.

Again, the article brought up the 50"s... and done in an artificial, unrealistic portrayal of the 50's of " white suburbia " ( yes there were things not particularly enobling.. as all eras, all nations have by the way, throughout history ). So I'd like you to tell me how the white, male, suburban 50's compares with the white, male, suburban DCI of 2000 -2014 when it comes to changes with Woman and Minorities during this 60 years of " Civil Rights " advancements. Knowing that we have some teachers and former teachers here, whats the grade here for 50 years worth of " progressive change " in DCI in this respect ? Anybody ? Or is this perhaps a little too reality based and perhaps too " controversial" to discuss, grade, and whatnot and we really should stick to what fantasy theme or fantasy show a WGI or DCI unit might do to..... " push the progressive envelope ".... of a Corps, Band, or Guard's show or theme put out on the field or in a school gym somewhere ?

Edited by BRASSO

If this was done by the modern Cadets it would require a real heavy dose of the audience's imagination, as each Cadets Guard member would now be depicted shooting at one another with streamers, sparkly long poles, ribbons and the like. But it would be not be very controversial, imo. Near as I can tell, the Cadets Show Designers these days are now trying to AVOID " controversy ", not embrace it, .....when it comes to Guard equipment useage at least anyway.

oh so unlike angels and Demons in 2011 where they split the corps in 2, signified by different uniforms, and "waged war".

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that many of the folks commenting on the Fantasia '02 NEVER SAW THE SHOW. Their objection is simply based on the words Kama Sutra -- as if program titles are in anyway literal descriptions of the show.

If you watched the show in the absence of the title, I'd wager there'd be nary an objection to the content.

Go DCP!

which is hysterical given how some of those protesting Fantasia harped to high heavens because Dada wasn't truly indicitive of the Dadaist movement.

oh Irony

Well, if the requirement to comment on shows from BITD, was that " folks never saw the show", I think we could all agree here that this requirement would pretty much eliminate most of the DCP'ers on here from commenting on ANY show performance or its theme where they( your words ,in caps ) " NEVER SAW THE SHOW " . When has it become a requirement for posters on DCP to not comment about shows or its themes before their time in Drum Corps ? And this would be of course seeing and hearing it live, as we can all agree I would think ,that seeing and hearing a corps on old technology crappy audio and video tapes, or modern cell phones, or on modern youtube, etc is in no way, shape, or form the same genuine representatiion and great experience of taking in the show performance in Drum Corps live. So are you suggesting a new policy for DCP'ers that no DCP'ers comment on any show performance whereby they have ( quote ) " NEVER SAW THE SHOW " ? i think such a controversial requirement for future commenting by DCP'ers would pretty much eliminate lots of posters ( including yourself) from commenting on a Corps/ WGI performance, theme or no theme, where they " NEVER SAW THE SHOW ".. Frankly, I could not support THAT.

you'd post a complaint requirement or not.

That article was critical the suburban white people of the 50's, and thats fair game, I suppose.

But lets bring this up to date here in DCI as we look back at the 50's that created mostly an unbalanced and thoroughly jaded view of things in the 50's:

Would you say that we have more marchers or fewer marchers that are Black and that that come from the inner cities doing Drum Corps today than in the 50's and 60's. ?

Can you name the black composers that DCI Corps draw upon for their musical compositions in shows ? .Now that you've done so, would you say there are more black composers drawn upon for inspiration today by DCI Corps, or do you think that BITD of the 50's and 60's, music arrangers BITD utilized more music selections in their shows from black composers ?

How many Blacks are there that are Corps Directors in World Class Division Corps ? How many Women serve as Corps Directors ? How many Blacks and Women currently serve on the Board of Directors of the current DCI Standard Bearer DCI World Class Champion Corps ? What is the percentages of minorities in the DCI judging ranks of DCI today ? How many minorities are in the booth during the DCI Championships class ? How many announcers at shows across the country at DCI shows are minoriities. ? We see minority advancememts in pro sports teams participation from the 50's that is remarkable ? Compared to what we see at te college and pro level in the sports of football, baseball, basketball, Drum Corps regarding advancements in participation rates from the early 50's to today, under the banner of DCI, how would you grade the advancements of participation by persons of color compared with these sports ( afterall, increasingly want to call this a youth competitive " sport " in some quarters). Would you give a mark of " A " ? ...... " B" ?......... " C" ?......... " D " ?....... or....... " F " ? compared with the other " sports " participation rate improvements ?

Again, the article brought up the 50"s... and done in an artificial, unrealistic portrayal of the 50's ( yes there were things not particularly enobling.. as all eras, all nations have by the way, throughout history ). So I'd like you to tell me how the white, male, suburban 50's compares with the white, male, suburban DCI of 2000 -2014 when it comes to changes with Woman and Minorities during this 60 years of " Civil Rights " advancements.

that was a very thought out respose and I appreciate it. The only point I was trying to make was more on the music of the times and that hysteria BITD on that subject among others . was just that HYSTERIA. IMO much like opinions here based on a color guard show from quite a long time ago.

Personally on the subject of directors. MOST in my experience wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. It's way to demanding a job and thankless in many cases. I know the most talented women in the activity and NONE that I know would ever want any of it.

Edited by GUARDLING