For the record, it really doesn't matter to me what various individuals think or say about anybody's show. But what I don't get is this: I cannot envision going onto, say Madison's page or Blue Knights's page etc and bashing their show. If a particular corps isn't your cup of tea, that's just fine. I did a review of the Lawrence show in the early season, and found good things to say about everybody, AND they were legitimate comments, imo. People seemed surprised. Some of the coffee room commandos here on dcp make me crazy, particularly in the malice in some of the commentary.

Yes, it's a discussion group, but given the amount of derision and sarcasm (especially in the actual show threads) from some folks who don't know the first thing about teaching and/or writing, I wonder why I even bother.

Finally got around to watching this show.

It's absolutely beautiful. I've never even read Animal Farm.

I wish like heck this show existed in an earlier era, because it's pretty B.A. and has incredible demand on literally every single member. Unfortunately today's era with the emphasis on execution and almost ignoring demand, it's obviously going to be dragged down in favor of corps with reliance on cheaper methods of GE. Current DCI loves "MORE" over "demand". Loved at the end when they slowly led into the diminished Conquest theme.

Really hope this show jumps past BK and Regiment. It's such an organic experience compared to every other blandfest in DCI today.

Boston has done that type of show many times before they were among the 1st to use amps/sound/props etc. There is so much more to the show than demand as you can see and hear. I would have to wonder if you put these shows on broadway how thing would turn out. Change is a good. Boston has been doing it for the past 74 years. Have a great day.

This conversation has officially entered Comic-Con land, where the geeks are convinced that they actually own the high ground (if this show was on Broadway? It'd be closed before it opened; do you KNOW anything about commercial theatre?).

Look, Boston's trying something a little obscure this year. There are some elements that work, and some that don't (like the percussion execution scores).

But this is hardly some visionary take on the future of the activity. In fact, by focusing on a piece of inspiration that is, bluntly, 30 to 60 years out of date (does anyone care about Stalin or the USSR anymore?), they've tied themselves to a central idea that will rarely resonate with a modern audience.

Great corps. Ok show. If it finishes 9th, it'll be a noble effort that failed to gel. They'll come up with something else next year.

Edited by Slingerland

For the record, it really doesn't matter to me what various individuals think or say about anybody's show. But what I don't get is this: I cannot envision going onto, say Madison's page or Blue Knights's page etc and bashing their show. If a particular corps isn't your cup of tea, that's just fine. I did a review of the Lawrence show in the early season, and found good things to say about everybody, AND they were legitimate comments, imo. People seemed surprised. Some of the coffee room commandos here on dcp make me crazy, particularly in the malice in some of the commentary.

Yes, it's a discussion group, but given the amount of derision and sarcasm (especially in the actual show threads) from some folks who don't know the first thing about teaching and/or writing, I wonder why I even bother.

Look at last night Craiga did any one from BAC say anything negative no. No big deal man.

really? have you gone on their pages this year? Madisons alumini ( some ) had a field day...not saying its right but it is a fact. there was some awful stuff there. seems to have calmed down for now though./

Edited by GUARDLING

look at his blog name.

What's your problem? Is it so hard to believe that what you saw on the news isn't the case? I have good friends in Boston and whatever you believe happened the media they didn't show the National Guard pounding on doors conducting illegal search warrants. Tanks rolling through the streets to catch 2 guys with backpacks? Get real. Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither.

This conversation has officially entered Comic-Con land, where the geeks are convinced that they actually own the high ground (if this show was on Broadway? It'd be closed before it opened; do you KNOW anything about commercial theatre?).

Look, Boston's trying something a little obscure this year. There are some elements that work, and some that don't (like the percussion execution scores).

But this is hardly some visionary take on the future of the activity. In fact, by focusing on a piece of inspiration that is, bluntly, 30 to 60 years out of date (does anyone care about Stalin or the USSR anymore?), they've tied themselves to a central idea that will rarely resonate with a modern audience.

Great corps. Ok show. If it finishes 9th, it'll be a noble effort that failed to gel. They'll come up with something else next year.

That interesting. My daughter has a BS-B and a minor in the arts and theater she was one of two people that got the Kennedy center award for the the arts and theater when she was in collage. She thought that it would be a cool thing to do on broadway. If you read my post i said that I wonder how all these shows would do on BW and how they would turn out.

Out of date? Orwells works apply in this day and age more than ever. I bet he's rolling in his grave.

• Like 1

Out of date? Orwells works apply in this day and age more than ever. I bet he's rolling in his grave.

Ahhh...don't tell me - Obama is a "dictator" to you? :sigh:

The story of the Russian revolution is out of date. Stalin and Trotksy are long dead. The Soviet Union, despite Putin's efforts, has been dead for going on 20+ years.

There are more interesting, more contemporary political commentaries to make, if one wants to go in that direction. If, as Boston claims, they're NOT trying to be literal - then what the f___ is the point of using the title and concept of a about the least cloaked, most obvious allegorical story there is?

Can't have it both ways, kids. Either it's "Animal Farm" or it's not. If it is, fine. Work with it. If it's supposed to be a different political allegory, then be less cryptic about what it is (and if it's G7, then stop appearing in their events and accepting their money - like last Friday night).

Edited by Slingerland