Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Only once since 1976 have the Cadevaliers DCI Royal Family failed to return to their rightful Royal Throne after it was captured by a one-year imposter interloper. (Haha!)

That's a very clever statistic.

I'm really excited for the first meetup of all the big corps (Which, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Allentown, right?)

I think the placements will go a little something like...

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Bluecoats

4. Carolina Crown

But that's just me. I personally love BD and this year's show is just...OH MY GODDDDD

I like your rankings but I also think it's possible for Bluecoats to move ahead of Cadets.

Blue Devils have a winner this year for sure. I think they are untouchable, and they are smart enough not to peak early. Love their show!!!!!!

I watched their july 3rd show on BD Mediabox tonight and it struck me that their choreography if so well done. It really does reinforce the drill design and is not thrown in arbitrarilly just to add body movement.

And the guard is amazing!!!!!!

Edited by eric49

I like your rankings but I also think it's possible for Bluecoats to move ahead of Cadets.

Yes, that's just what I was putting to be safe.

IMO my full prediction is

1. Blue Devils (As you said, untouchable)

2. Cadets/Bluecoats

3. Carolina Crown/Bluecoats/Cadets

4. Carolina Crown/Bluecoats

I'm not going to be dumb and drop the Cadets out of medalling this year. I firmly believe that at least 2 medalists are almost confirmed: Blue Devils and Cadets.

In Felliniesque, there's a Second Assistant Camera doing two slates around at 6:52. He claps a movie slate, and then walks all the way to the 35 yard line and around back to the rolling tables and slates again. That's incorrect. Because he doesn't change the shot numbers on the slate between the two slate sticks, that means that there are two cameras for the same shot. But that's inauthentic because Fellini only worked with a single camera. Does the guard member know what a slate is for? (FYI, it's a visual cue for the editor about the take number and scene number, and the clapping sound it makes helps the sound editor synch the audio with the picture. So each take needs a new take number written on the slate.)

If this is an authentic bit of stage business, he needs to grab a piece of chalk from behind his ear (maybe mimed), erase the current number with the meat of his palm, and change the numbers on the slate as he's walking to the second location because each use of the slate needs a new take, shot and scene number written on it. And then he walks all the way back to the front line again, drops off the movie slate, and then finally picks up a rifle. (On his way to the front line he can be erasing the current shot number, getting ready for the next, and look at his watch as a bit of extra character business.) Also, when he slates the second time, he should be cheating the slate to the camera which is on his right, not pointing the slate to the audience.

Anyway, two slates with the same shot and take number means Fellini was using A and B cameras with almost the same angle, and the same slate info for both, and Fellini'd never do that, even in a dream.

Edited by Brutus

In Felliniesque, there's a Second Assistant Camera doing two slates around at 6:52. He claps a movie slate, and then walks all the way to the 35 yard line and around back to the rolling tables and slates, again. That's incorrect. That means that there are two cameras for the same shot, because he doesn't change the shot number on the slate between the two slate sticks. But that's inauthentic because Fellini only worked with a single camera. (Does the actor know what a slate is for?)

If this is an authentic bit of stage business, he needs to grab a piece of chalk from behind his ear, erase the current number with the meat of his palm, and change the shot number on the slate as he's walking to the second location because each slate needs a new scene number written on the slate. And then walks all the way back to the front line again, drops off the movie slate, and then finally picks up a rifle. On his way to the front line he can be erasing the current shot number, getting ready for the next, just a bit of honest character business.

But two slates with the same shot number means Fellini was using A and B cameras with almost the same angle, and he'd never do that.

He probably wouldn't pick up a rifle, either.

Unless 'esque' means what it actually means, I don't see how they can overcome this fatal error and stay in the Top 12.

• Like 2

watched another video of BD yesterday....posted it before....I really love the Blue Devils this season....reminds me of when I first was introduced to Drum Corps and fell in love with the activity in the late 90's.....though some may not like it if BD won the title this year....I personally***wouldn't**** mind at all....and I'm a major Crown/Bluecoats fan can't wait till August!

Edited by msumello

He probably wouldn't pick up a rifle, either.

Unless 'esque' means what it actually means, I don't see how they can overcome this fatal error and stay in the Top 12.

In your mind, "esque" means "let it slide," and that's why you're not on BD's design team.

In case you haven't noticed, BD is striving for authenticity here in their show elements that refer directly to Fellini's work. BD is also striving to approximate an authentic soundstage, including lights, cameras, props and a costume department, and bits of business that capture the authentic essence of Fellini's era of movie making. So why not make this slating sequence authentic, too?

The Second Camera Assist would also never slate something and then walk into the shot like he does now. Currently, he slates the horns, and then walks behind them, which is inauthentic. To be more authentic, he should slate them and walk around them on the 50 side, out of camera view. Or slate them and pause for a few seconds alongside as the shot happens, then move on to the next. Also, as soon as second assists slate, they usually duck out of the way as quickly as possible to allow the DP to see the shot before they call action. It's something that every second assist does, and it might help this performer appear more authentic, and really illustrate the excitement that happens on set when the expensive 35 mm film is finally rolling.

Also, it looks to me like BD only has one prop slate, and it's located on the front sidelines. And that's why this performer is taking the slate from the front side line and schlepping all the way backfield, slating again near the camera, and then schlepping all the way back to the front sideline. It's an unwieldy, unlikely trek that pulls a lot of focus, but it's filled with absolutely no stage business or POV. No character or choreography. Because he's not allowed to run because there's a minimum of guard running in the show in order to capture the Italian insouciance of Fellini's films, he's really hauling as fast as he can with gigantic steps in order to return to the front on time, and the whole bit of business barely fits in time.

I say get a second prop slate, if slating is that important, and simply slate where the camera is, backfield. Or if you intentionally want the Second Assist's trek to be byzantine and dreamlike, at least give him some stage business.

Also, when slating backfield near the white camera, the camera is so far away from the action, it's likely to be a long shot, so he would slate closer to the camera in order for the slate to be read and heard.

But there's a larger problem. The whole purpose of the bit is to give camera focus to the girls' dance, which the rifles then do their best to distract from as soon as he returns anyway. Why not bring the camera more down center and point it at the girls dancing? That makes his haul a little less of a Bataan death march and puts the focus where it needs to be. On the girls.

Edited by Brutus

In your mind, "esque" means "let it slide," and that's why you're not on BD's design team.

Edit: Sometimes I want to comment on posts made by contributors who I think are taking this activity too seriously.

Then I think - If I'm responding to this post, then maybe I'm taking this too seriously.

Never mind.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 3