Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

Well, they did almost literally copy the end mirror trick from Through a Glass Darkly with their black hole thing...that was a pretty noticeable :P

That's not what most people mean when they're talking design elements. :silly::poke:

I think Blue Devils know how to win. They have a staff that realizes that you win both on and off the field. They literally "educate" the judges on what is good and should be rewarded. They have great organization that is able to run multiple corps and the money to do it. When it come to the full court press, BD knows how to play the game.

I think Blue Devils know how to win. They have a staff that realizes that you win both on and off the field. They literally "educate" the judges on what is good and should be rewarded. They have great organization that is able to run multiple corps and the money to do it. When it come to the full court press, BD knows how to play the game.

Right. Thank you for your response (and to everyone else as well - I have learned a lot from this thread).

However, none of what you wrote is in dispute. The question is, is BD innovative/a group that changes the activity like no one else - or are they just really, really good at what they do. I hear people say they are so innovative, and I always wonder why they say that.

I'm sure to some extent every corps is "innovative". I think they are "innovative" in the way they conduct drum corps business as well as shows. But, honestly, a LOT of what we see on the field today has either been done in BOA or WGI.

• Like 1

Tons of great insight...

I have not logged onto DCP since probably Labor Day weekend, but I had to today because I wanted to let you know that this is one of the best, most well-formed and informative posts I have seen on this website. Ever.

Seriously, I have been a BD fan for years, some years more than other (especially lately) but I never really knew how to explain why I love that "BD Sound". Now I know.

Thanks for this post, it's great.

I have not logged onto DCP since probably Labor Day weekend, but I had to today because I wanted to let you know that this is one of the best, most well-formed and informative posts I have seen on this website. Ever.

Seriously, I have been a BD fan for years, some years more than other (especially lately) but I never really knew how to explain why I love that "BD Sound". Now I know.

Thanks for this post, it's great.

Thanks! I love talking about BD's sound, and the more I thought about it, the more excited about them I got and the more I wanted to write.

*note -- you ARE familiar with [Nina Rota's] music: see his work, "Love Theme" from The Godfather

Side note: Rota actually first used that theme in another movie, years earlier, which is why the score was deemed ineligible for an Oscar.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils are incredibly innovative! In fact, I use their recent recordings to help lull me to sleep every night. I've never been so well rested!

DCP is starting to resemble the facebook posts last year after BD would beat Crown at a show!

There is nothing new under the sun. It's just rearranged.