Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

I've seen several posts that state this, or similar. It seems undeniable to me that if several corps are trying to emulate BD's style, even if it's "take BD show design style and spin it our own unique way," then BD is indeed innovative: they inspire many others from a design standpoint. Most corps don't (and can't) achieve the level of success BD has, but I would say that BD's style has influenced Crown over the last several seasons: in ways that benefit ALL of us.

Ooh. Expound on that last about Crow, will ya?

Is fascination not an emotion?

Well, that is a good point. I will elaborate: BD fascinates me in an intellectual way. I just don't find them sexy. Reminds me of a couple old girlfriends...

• Like 1

Holy cow, there 2014 show announcement is exciting! I can honestly say that I can't imagine ANY drum corps doing a "Fellini-esque" drum corps production: incredible! Also, for those unfamiliar with Nino Rota's music*, I think there will be some absolutely fabulous music from Devs this year.

* note - you ARE familiar with his music: see his work, "Love Theme" from The Godfather

I can't wait to see what they do with Fellini this year! I'm pretty sure that when Gordon Goodwin writes a piece just for you it is going to be a very jazzy show! However, if you still feel the need to lament that it's not a Jazz show from the 70's and 80's. Please pop in a CD or cassette tape.

Holy cow, there 2014 show announcement is exciting! I can honestly say that I can't imagine ANY drum corps doing a "Fellini-esque" drum corps production: incredible! Also, for those unfamiliar with Nino Rota's music*, I think there will be some absolutely fabulous music from Devs this year.

* note - you ARE familiar with his music: see his work, "Love Theme" from The Godfather

The Godfather was one of my less favorite Blue Devils shows for sure.

I'm excited by the Gordon Goodwin stuff because it's original music from a non-drumcorps type composer, so there's less opportunity for chop-n-bop. Not excited by the Cirque music, but I do like Elfman.

It's going to be another wait and see show.

I would much rather they did the original Saraghina scene with the Rhumba music but I can see why they picked the "Be Italian" thing they did. (choreography)

I see a whole lot of visual potential in this show as well as some really swingin' jazz. I do know there is going to be an interesting horn feature in the show and also heard the drumline is playing a lot of split one handed stuff and real fast singles.

I've seen several posts that state this, or similar. It seems undeniable to me that if several corps are trying to emulate BD's style, even if it's "take BD show design style and spin it our own unique way," then BD is indeed innovative: they inspire many others from a design standpoint. Most corps don't (and can't) achieve the level of success BD has, but I would say that BD's style has influenced Crown over the last several seasons: in ways that benefit ALL of us.

I saw some some noticeable BD design elements in Crown's shows the last couple years on the basic level... I think some people on here blasted me for saying that, but I do think they are there.

• Like 1

I saw some some noticeable BD design elements in Crown's shows the last couple years on the basic level... I think some people on here blasted me for saying that, but I do think they are there.

..and I remember that some people here have denied that BD influences anybody on DCP last year with their show designs when it was brought up in a thread, which is crazy talk.

Now we have perc2100 say: " It seems undeniable to me that if several corps are trying to emulate BD's style, even if it's "take BD show design style and spin it our own unique way," then BD is indeed innovative: they inspire many others from a design standpoint. Most corps don't (and can't) achieve the level of success BD has, but I would say that BD's style has influenced Crown over the last several seasons: in ways that benefit ALL of us.".

The part where he is intimating that BD influences other corps, and even Crown is what I had basically stated but had to argue with people here on DCP about. Of course my opinion was that they influence other corps because they win is not presented in his quote, but that was my assertion then and still worth mentioning now.

I'm not sure if perc2100 was one of the naysayers, but find it funny that it's now being said that BD and their winning formula IS influencing the activity. Anyway, just something that is amusing to me, and as I said was the case then is not a good thing for all corps.

Now, their genius arranging prowess should be emulated, in each corps own unique way, but not the whole design concepts they use for their shows. That is something that only they should do, imho.

Edited by jjeffeory

Don't forget who influenced BD though and I hope that the whole thing comes full circle. I see a lot of instructors who went through the BD program (and other DC programs) who are giving back and are now influencing others. I have been talking to members of Zappa's band and telling them about my ideas to create a show of his music. (Frank was aware of BD playing his music in 87 btw) How if I had won the lottery I would finance the whole thing.

Ed Mann asked me why I am so enthusiastic about it. I said because I just want to hear the music.

This is the same thing for me. I just want to hear it. Same with SCV doing their shows and others I really love.

Isn't drum corps just terrific? I love it!

Well, they did almost literally copy the end mirror trick from Through a Glass Darkly with their black hole thing...that was a pretty noticeable :P