Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Somebody started an interesting post last season - it asked us to mention the corps we wanted to see most.
I noticed Troopers showing up surprisingly often for an 18th place corps (previous season), so I went back and begin to tally.
Troopers had the 4th most number of mentions.
Just goes to show that "higher placement" doesn't always equal "higher interest"...and makes me wonder if perhaps including them in this show would have increased movie theater ticket sales.

Speaking of politics...I thought Cadets' show was a little politically charged, too.

I heard a lot of quotes from Presidents on their little tape recording, and when I heard Obama's little "Yes we can" snippet, I almost immediately walked out of the theater right then and there.

But then they ended that part of the show with a Reagan quote. So that made up for it.

I did not like The Cadets' show.

I know Hopkins leans to the left. I do not think politics should be brought into a drum corps show, period. I don't think it's appropriate.

I did not like the narration, and I did not like the stage at the front. This show is lacking something, and I have a feeling it might end up getting jumped at the end.

However, I can appreciate their ability to perform a show at a very high level.

I also thought Cavaliers' show was inappropriate as well. Devils/Demons/Vampires, same thing. The show is the devil.

However, I still think it has enough GE to end up 7th. I don't think it can beat Boston's show, who I think will end up 6th.

I also did not like the alien head in the end of Crown's show.

Everyone knows aliens are actually the "fallen angels" spoken about in the Bible. They are part of the antichrist's plan for world domination.

You could argue that there was politics in the FDR section...but not really--putting people to work during the Depression, and saving the world in WW2 aren't terribly political. It's not as if the quotes were FDR chiding the other political party on Social Security or anything., or even discussing the role of the government in providing jobs. All of the quotes (really, ALL of them!) were simply inspirational in nature.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 2

I have a feeling that you would love the cadets show if it glorified the tea party. Lets keep the craziness somewhere else okay?

They did that! 2006!

• Like 3

I love Madison's music!

Does anyone know what the story is behind that one member walking very slowly from the upper left hand side of the field to the lower right? Is he a time traveller?

Not sure of the show reasoning, but didn't SCV have a mm slow walk around the whole field several years ago?

I detest Cadet's narration. I detest the narrator's little cream tux. Awful. I detest his incessant entrance and exit. Very distracting. I strongly dislike his slightly-too-earnest delivery. I'm sure he's a wonderful human being, but his delivery makes me want to jump out of my skin.

Your opinion is welcome, but I think the narrator is doing exactly what Copland's Lincoln Portrait called for. I, personally, wish the narrator was dressed to look like George Washington, but I know some would hate that too. And as far as the narrator being distracting I just don't see that. I think it's a common misconception that when someone is talking that somehow we are missing something on the field. No. It doesn't work like that. The music that is scored underneath his narration is done so with the intent to enhance the words. The music on the field doesn't ALWAYS have to be the main focus. Not one of the narrations last longer than 15 to 20 seconds, and I believe two things can happen at the same time and still be effective.

• Like 1

We were at the Cinecast last night and I can say something positive about every show we saw. We liked them all. However, since I hold the Cadets near and dear to my heart, I have one criticism. Please, please, please change what the narrator is wearing. He's a good looking, extremely tall young man with a magnificent voice and that particular costume or whatever it is you want to call it simply doesn't fit him or the show. He should be wearing something that would "suit" the role of a historian or a teacher of sorts....something more dignified than an ill-fitting, modified Cadets uniform. Of course, this is just MHO. Thanks.

• Like 3

Speaking of politics...I thought Cadets' show was a little politically charged, too.

I heard a lot of quotes from Presidents on their little tape recording, and when I heard Obama's little "Yes we can" snippet, I almost immediately walked out of the theater right then and there.

But then they ended that part of the show with a Reagan quote. So that made up for it.

I did not like The Cadets' show.

I know Hopkins leans to the left. I do not think politics should be brought into a drum corps show, period.

Actually, this Cadets show has less to do with politics and more to do with American history and great quotes that we can all be proud of, regardless of party choice and personal beliefs. This is, in part, because these quotes are coming from men WE elected in a free country not run by King and Queen or any sort of dictatorship. The idea behind Lincoln Portrait and the narration (go listen to the source material) is to honor the process of freedom, to pay homage to the American process of allowing a man of the people to be elected president, and that such a man (or women perhaps someday) would guide us in times of growth and despair, through mistakes and great success, and also through words of wisdom and great courage to do the right thing. It's about honoring the highest OFFICE of our great nation, even when we do not agree with the person who occupies that office.

This is the least political show on the field, but I can see how some are misinterpreting the actions of the narrator. The show is not trying to cater to democrats or republicans. The show pays homage to great people who served their country, regardless of what you thought of them, and it defines the highest office of the land, in this musical history lesson, as something we should be proud of, regardless of how we voted.

My dad always taught me that no matter who was President, ALWAYS respect the HIGHEST OFFICE of the land. It's a tough job and nobody could do it perfectly. You can make a case that the Cadets 2007 show was WAY more political. Boston's G7 formation had more politics in it than this Cadets show.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3