Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Just got back from the theater in Alhambra, CA. No issues with the video here. Looked like a pretty large crowd for the theater, not full, but good. There are a lot of theaters showing this in the LA metro area, so no surprise about that.

I came with two others, and we each had different favorites, which is good. Here are some comments.

Cavies -- They're much improved from the last two years, still it's pretty much a skeleton of a show. The percussion was a hit with the crowd, especially the marimba feature. The euph solo was nice as well. They're doing well, but they've got a ways to go to breathe more life into the show and add things. The theater was pretty indifferent about them. I still really miss Gaines' drill from them; there were a couple of cringe worthy sets and transitions, but they're getting better. I miss the impeccable staging and ideas from their glory years. To me the design is a little flat and I'm not completely sold on the arrangements of the brass, but they sound dark and powerful. Certainly not at the level of jeers I witness from some people watching them in Indy. Still hoping they can snag a 5-6th place position at the end of the year and maybe score in the 93+ point range. I'll shut up now...

Madison -- Crowd in the theater was pretty indifferent to them. Musically they sound good, but visually there were problems. I was a little disconcerted that there were only two quads in the drums. I hope they have more in the works, as it looks like the drill is designed for more. Looked like a pretty dense drill design and a bit cluttered. The guard was fine, but didn't stand out to me. The trombones weren't really utilized enough in my opinion. If you're going to cause a stink with their passage, use 'em more. They didn't really add much, and those glisses could have been approximated. They fit into the ensemble sound just fine as I knew they would. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more yet. The arrangements could be tweaked a bunch more to add to the show. Hoping it will break 90 at the end of the year.

PR -- The brass sounds good, but something is missing there in the arrangements. This one actually got a LOT of fanfare from the group. Seems like maybe a teacher used to be a member or something, but there were a lot of cheers from the room. I got the feeling that the show flows decently, and the drill has very nice and musical flow, but there wasn't a real WOW moment written there quite yet. It matched what the corps was playing and they were pretty clean. Still just feels like something's not quite right. The uniform change is fine, but those hats were not that great. Thinking that this show will be in the 90-92 range at the end of the year.

BAC -- I was coming into with high hopes, but came away feeling a little flat. I heard the music in stand still, and it isn't quite translating. The drill is a hot mess right now. There are some interesting ideas, but I got the sense that the members are having problems with it. I feel this show will end up in the 89-92.5 range by the end of the year. The crowd seemed to like them pretty well at times.

Cadets -- I came in knowing the show better than the people I brought. Seeing the design from a better angle, I can now appreciate that it's typical "Cadets forms", but mostly at a slower velocity. These guy play well, spin well, and drum well. I'm a little worried about how much growth the show has, but some of the ideas that we've been exposed to that aren't in the show will add points. The judges seem to really like it. One of the people I came with ( a theater art's major) felt that there was a rather large disconnect between what you see at the front of the field and the rest of the field. He didn't care for the show, and HATED the narration. The other person didn't care for the show at all and hated the narration. The rest of the crowd didn't seem to care one way or the other about the narration and didn't really react to the show. Big thing for me is that I dislike shows where the message is spoken to you; I don't like politics and entertainment to mix so forwardly. I don't care about anyone else's political leanings; I don't judge yours and you don't judge mine. I respect you, you respect me. So that's a major turn off. Also, I felt that if this show is about 3 presidents, why do we have other one's mixed in at the end? At the end of the day, I saw some dirt, the narration covers up things I wish it didn't, and the platform at the front doesn't make sense with the show, BUT the performers perform well, the drill is done well, the arrangements are arranged well. I enjoy Appalachian Spring, I just dislike the narration and the prop, even though I know they need the prop for costume changes. Also, the french horn sounded great as I knew it would, but I wonder if a marching french horn would have worked just as well. These guys will be scoring in the 96-98 range come finals, imho.

Crown -- I've had quite a bit of preseason exposure to these guys and gals. The field is a bit cluttered, yes. The show is still a blast. I really don't think the headgear works for the guard as well as, say the Cavalier's machine head gear did. Also, I think the guard could wear different makeup from performer to performer, which would enhance the look. The drill has quite a few moments of brilliance in it, and some of the trampoline stuff is cool. I really like the turquoise pants as they pop on the field. I thought there were some drill problems in the theater from them, and I hope they add some things to clarify transitions from one section of the show to another. Brass is going to be sublime again. I'm thinking this show will also be in the 96-98 scoring range come finals. The crowd in the theater ate this show up, but there were obviously some Crown homers there with their T-Shirts showing Crown love.

Bloo -- I admit it. I was pretty excited to see this show and so was the theater crowd. There was certainly quite a bit of energy in the air and the Bluecoats didn't disappoint. The ramps were used effectively throughout the show. The pit was a bit too loud at times, but it was perfect for "that effect" they do in the closer. Drumline was on fire and received a lot of applause where I was. People really dug the show. My thoughts were that this was THE cool show of the year so far. I can't wait to hear how Oregon approaches "The Hymn of Axciom". It wasn't quite the religious experience for me that it is for others, but it's really good. The drill/visual during the beginning of the show needs to be tweaked as I don't feel it's as effective as something else could be. They can end up on the tilted front sideline, but put something more effective in there before that. Yes, it's a little dirty here and there, but this show just oozes GE(nergy) Frankly, I'm hoping that this show can win it all when everything is said and done. They've been creative.Good for them. Should be in the 96-98 range come finals.

My favorite shows of the night were: Bluecoats, then Crown.

Other person #1: - Phantom Regiment, Crown, then Bluecoats

Other person #2 - Bluecoats, Crown

None of us like Cadets' narration. I appreciated the excellence that Cadets have, but the other's hated the show because of the message and the ramp.

The crowd here seemed to like Phantom the best based on reaction, but Bluecoats and Crown got some hoots and cheers too pretty frequently. Cavaliers got some cheers during the percussion feature. Pretty tame crowd though.

Irony...I think you got it...of course this is open for interpretation :smile:

So the whole show is the collision of two conflicting, self-evident truths, that produces a new truth. All I'm missing (or possibly what they're missing) now is the new truth... Or maybe they just went full hipster on all of us.

Okay.

Not sure how this is relevant.

--fellow saxophone player

Because we were discussing the ability to love our native instruments while also being able to recognize that Drum corps should not be molded to incorporate them

• Like 1

Pretty tame crowd though.

My theater cheered for everything yours didn't, so I guess it depends on where we are. And I think all theater crowds are going to be much tamer, unfortunately. Just the way it is.

My theater cheered for everything yours didn't, so I guess it depends on where we are. And I think all theater crowds are going to be much tamer, unfortunately. Just the way it is.

My crowd was dead...but over the last several years I've gone to the same theater....I was pleasantly surprised that there was probably triple or even more than that in attendance.

Of course my clapping for the BAC set and my outburst when I saw the G7 set...well...LOL

Of course my clapping for the BAC set and my outburst when I saw the G7 set...well...LOL

I love the Cavaliers, but dangit how did I miss that?!

I've been to pretty much every theater event held and managed to attend one on "every coast", and this was one of the tamer crowds. I was really surprised that Phantom got so many cheers. Really, the event reaction varies from place to place considerably.

I've been to other DCI theater events in LA. One at Ontario Mills, Irvine Spectrum, Burbank, Palmdale, and Lancaster. This was more tame than any of the other places; Irvine had the most cheers, Ontario was pretty good before too.

Baton Rouge was routy, Cleveland was pretty reserved, Las Vegas was tame for QF one year. D.C (Alexandria) was VERY tame 2 years ago, but D.C. (Fairfax, VA) three years ago was had loud cheerers. Madison, WI was loud. Racine was tame. Some theater North of Milwaukee was tame (Maybe Appleton) and I even had to ask the manager to turn up the sound. Maybe it depends on how many band kids who follow this stuff attend or how many alumni attend?

Edited by jjeffeory

Maybe it depends on how many band kids who follow this stuff attend or how many alumni attend?

I think this definitely impacts it. If you have alumni in the theater, they're going to make noise because they know that's how it's supposed to be. And high school band kids, as we all know, are just loud in groups anyways. I've also watched the theater events in northern virginia and the last few years in Utah, and something I've noticed is that it doesn't really matter how full the theater is. At last June's event there were literally 6 of us, three pairs. And we made more noise than my theater this time around which was about half full. There should be a PSA at the beginning of the broadcast saying, "We know you aren't in the stadium, but don't be afraid to make some noise for your favorite moments as the night goes on." I think some people just aren't familiar with drum corps etiquette.

Edited by Cavfan930

I love the Cavaliers, but dangit how did I miss that?!

My favorite drill set so far this season(with a little personal bias thrown in)!!!

u1L2maO.jpg

• Like 2