Engagement with the past?

Did pits ever decrease in size??????

As for loudness, think the style of arranging went from going for the emotions (which used volume as an emotional effect/impact) to trying to impress the audience with what is being done. And let's face it, when that 3rd valve was added it opened up arrangers to be able to do what they wanted instead of arranging around the handicap of those missing notes. Which allowed the horn lines to do a lot more. IOW - arrangers don't write for the volume effects like they used to.

Edit: After watching 20 seconds (all I could take) wonder if anyone else from the early 80s thought of Bob and Doug McKenzie from "The Great White North/2nd City TV"? All that is missing are the toques and beer...... "Hows it going 'eh"......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The problem with younger drumcorp fan is they only see it online. They have no idea what it was like to listen to drum corps back in the 70's or 80's. They didn't get to experience ay the SCV ending in 87 or BD's amazing brass line in 1988. Madison was smooth as silk in 88. They were on all cylinders.

So, I've got a question for anyone that saw the Madison '88 performance live at finals (as I have only seen it on video). What is it exactly that sets the crowd off into baby throwing mode at the end? Is it the screamin' soloist, the drill move, or just the culmination of the entire performance? Its hard to tell from the video, since the camera angle doesn't catch the drill move into the final push until right at the impact point.

Roy

• Like 1

I'm embarrassed to say that the camera shot of the timpanist screws up the effect.

The soloist is playing while the rest of the corps is at a dead scatter run, collapsing into the form, followed by the turn into the wedge.

Drill move 1, soloist a close second. The semis vid is so much better, trust me!

That's another reason that DCI should put old semifinals performances on the Fan Network. (Although a better reason would be to see the corps who placed below twelfth.)

Scouts more or less repeated that move at the end of their 1989 show, didn't they? (Which I believe holds the second-highest score ever for a seventh-place show, surpassed only by Bluecoats' "Criminal".)

When the new Siskel and Ebert of drum corps complain that Scouts' pit doesn't "perform" and that there may have no concept of "performing" way back in 1988, are they using that term in a special way? Watching the new video of Boston in the park, I am reminded that mallet players now to a degree not true in the past are always visually performing. Could that be what was being referred to by our dear critics?

When the new Siskel and Ebert of drum corps complain that Scouts' pit doesn't "perform" and that there may have no concept of "performing" way back in 1988, are they using that term in a special way? Watching the new video of Boston in the park, I am reminded that mallet players now to a degree not true in the past are always visually performing. Could that be what was being referred to by our dear critics?

I think I was discussing this in another thread actually (the one about how PR could've won in 1989). I'm pretty sure that's what they are referring to. Mallet players nowadays are always bouncing to the music and seem really emotionally pulled in during the ballad pieces. I can see where they're coming from because I find the colorguards of back then to be odd and robotic. It's just what people are used to I guess and clearly these guys have not been exposed to that era of drum corps and are critiquing it in the eyes of the first/second decade of the 21st century.

Yes, "performing" in this context means bouncing around and grimacing in a way that would be cringe-worthy if anyone was actually paying attention. Fortunately there are still some pits that know how to just relax and play.

Yes...the over-emoting pit schtick :lle:

Yes...the over-emoting pit schtick :lle:

I didn't see any "emoting" or "over-emoting" in that video from Boston's performance in the park. And they were front and center in that video throughout. I did see some nice syncronized movement behind their instruments and a reasonable attention to visual detail in their overall perfomance, but in terms of facial expressions...no real noticable change of expression at all. At least nothing like what seems to bother people so much about this kind of thing. No fake smiles. No crazy eyebrow action. No dropping down lower to the keys when playing softer. No angry faces when playing loud. What I saw was a very focused and professional and cohesive unit of musicians performing quite well. One of my first reactions after watching the video was, dang, that pit has their act together! Well done.