Engagement with the past?

Depends if a Jenny Craig program is religiously followed; Jazzersize may work as well.

Or going back to marching tymps.... :silly:

• Like 1

I'm embarrassed to say that the camera shot of the timpanist screws up the effect.

The soloist is playing while the rest of the corps is at a dead scatter run, collapsing into the form, followed by the turn into the wedge.

Drill move 1, soloist a close second. The semis vid is so much better, trust me!

If you're interested in a better vantage point for the wedge move, search YT for Madison's 88 performance in England (in the rain)...audience response is awesome...

Or, you can just use these...

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKxg0lMO9Fc

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2sEKCh8Rsg

This is just the mirror image of a dinosaur who comes on DCP to rant about how they can't stand grounded pits, dancing guards and Bb horns. Different eras of drum corps are different. When we marched, we all thought our era was the best. You actually have to watch a bunch of shows from another era before you start to understand what's normal, and therefore what makes exceptional shows exceptional.

The audience reaction to Madison '88 makes clear that those people thought they were watching something amazing. If you don't think it was amazing, you could be right, but it's also possible that you don't really understand where the activity was at in 1988.

This is a good point. We often hear about how bad the new stuff is, but rarely do we hear about how bad the old stuff was.

Either way, I think most CMMs are a bit more educated than this. I know Scouts and Troopers specifically talk a lot about heritage and history over the course of the summer, and even at Crown we had education night on the bus, because STORMWORKS WAS THE ####!!!!!!

For context here too, In 1987, Madison finished 6th at DCI Championships Finals ( in Madison, not less), and so here they were in early' 88 season finishing 4th in a midwest show on 7/16 ( behind Phantom, Star of Indiana, Cavaliers ) then on 7/27 losing to Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard., and on 7/30 losing to BD by over 4 points. So in effect they are ranked around 6th or so, the end of July.

But then they caught fire, and in just 3 weeks time they electrified the crowd at Prelims, finishing 1st ( and by over a point). So by Finals night, they were the underdog Corps that many fans were pulling for as they had not won a title since 13 years before ( '75 ) and here they were coming on like gangbusters at the end of the season. Coupled with the fact they had a fan friendly show, all the ingredients was there for the audience to be pulling for them on Finals Night, and they pulled it off.

Edited by BRASSO

I know some baseball addicts who know every stat of every player past or present, and others who if you say Hank Aaron, they look puzzled. The same is true for drum corps and the young participants. Say Kilts and they say "1975 7th place, repertoire included "Carmina Burana" and "Roll Over Beethoven" and others would say clothing worn by certain Celtic peoples.

This is not new. In high school I did not march in a corps but I read "Drum Corps a News" and "Drum Corps World" religiously, talked with die hard fans, knew my history and knew scores and repertoires. Some who knew the least about drum corps and competitors than some who matched. Some never watched their competitors because they were only interested in their own corps, and these people marched with corps such as BAC, 27th, and a Madison Scout.

No doubt this summer I'll be in the stands and I'll talk with fans who know drum corps history and those who know little, and age won't matter, love of drum corps will. We need on,y to look at this site. One frequent poster is probably not yet twenty years old but I bet he'd put many of us to shame if we had a drum corps trivia game.

Have belonged to Antique Automobile Club of America before I even discovered corps. Still amazes me that DC has people that insult the past or present because it is different. Would be like someone in AACA saying "How could those people enjoy driving an older car with no air conditioning or auto transmission. What idiots". But if it is "different: in the corps world it's fair game. If you don't like you don't like but it's all opinion.....

And for full disclosure I'm not a fan of electronics, etc but as long as DC survives more power to the corps and the members. I might not be there but will wish them the best and not insult.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Have belonged to Antique Automobile Club of America before I even discovered corps. Still amazes me that DC has people that insult the past or present because it is different. Would be like someone in AACA saying "How could those people enjoy driving an older car with no air conditioning or auto transmission. What idiots". But if it is "different: in the corps world it's fair game. If you don't like you don't like but it's all opinion.....

And for full disclosure I'm not a fan of electronics, etc but as long as DC survives more power to the corps and the members. I might not be there but will wish them the best and not insult.

Ive said this for years. Drum corps eats their own. I hate making comparisons that others love to do mainly because we are a unique activity and NOT the same as other activities BUT with that said in many other activities , lets say the Olympics , even if one doesnt care for or agree with a decision an olympic winner is a winner for life and addressed as one . In drum corps winners are disrespected quite a bit. Now many will say OH we arent disrespecting the winner just the judges decision..ahhh yeah right....lol...Today's winner is tomorrows slam. Oh wait , it doesnt take till the next day...lol..Oh well, maybe that's what makes us unique also..lol

The weirdest part about their comments about not being able to hear the tubas is that as often as not, this is more true of modern corps, where the bottom is too likely to dominated by synth, than it was of corps in the late 1980s.