Instauration in Indy: 6/18

(I know the answer to this but) why is there so much hype about groups, that are then a let down when they first perform. A few pages back someone was saying that Cavaliers will be top 3-4 this year after viewing them - for them to come 4th and look more likely in the 6-10th range. Lots of hype about Madision but from watching the videos they seem really behind (esp the guard).

Good question. We all like to hype our favorites. I'm guilty of that, both with Bluecoats and Cadets. But when it comes to the pre-season reviews, or short comments, it is important to be as objective as possible while still showing your support.

There's a lot of unknown, too. Someone might go watch "so and so" corps and be completely captivated by the show. They report that on DCP with the added "look out for corps "X," they are going to be hot...top 5 for sure. Then we see and hear corps "x," and top 5 would be a gift. 9th place might be a gift. 11th is more realistic. Was that person really trying to setup the fans, were they trying to help the judges, were they trying to cause harm and raise hopes? No, but it's more likely that they don't look at all the details (maybe they are just a drum guy) and do not have a solid feel for where a corps should be around the end of spring training if they are really going to contend for top 5, 3, or a title.

Someone, who's opinion I trust, shared with me (while watching The Cadets at their preview show from Johnstown) that SCV was well behind that. I'm not saying they are now, but at that time this person knew from seeing the corps that they were not quite ready for the Cadets (or BD and Crown). That can change, but how fast.

For the people who that is their only show, an encore is nice.

That's one thing I really miss. Well, I miss full retreat and corps playing themselves off. If they do away with encore, it's just one step closer to being a regular marching band show instead of a spectacular.

For the people who that is their only show, an encore is nice.

That's one thing I really miss. Well, I miss full retreat and corps playing themselves off. If they do away with encore, it's just one step closer to being a regular marching band show instead of a spectacular.

Jeff, I could not agree with you more. The subtraction of this part of every show is a loss for all fans. While it's a pain for the staff and members, remember who you are here for . . . . the fans. They are the ones who pay the bills and ensure their is a future to this art form we all truly love!

• Like 3

According to CorpsReps they played it in 2008

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about that because that was not initially in their rep that year. That short clip (about 20 seconds) was added when the other music they had tried was not working. It didn't go in until late that summer, like DCI East or something like that.

Jeff, I could not agree with you more. The subtraction of this part of every show is a loss for all fans. While it's a pain for the staff and members, remember who you are here for . . . . the fans. They are the ones who pay the bills and ensure their is a future to this art form we all truly love!

Well, I don't doubt that it's a loss for SOME fans, but not for ALL. Many DCI fans leave after the last corps regardless of an encore. Clearly those fans don't seem to care or see it as a loss. So maybe 50% want one, and 50% do not. In the long run I think it comes down to the right circumstances when determining when to have one. I always want to see them at regionals and finals. Most other shows I am luke warm to the encore. I would rather get out of the stadium, take in what I just saw, look at souvies, talk to friends, go grab coffee, begin a review, drive home, etc. We're all different, not all the fans are missing out.

• Like 1

Well, I don't doubt that it's a loss for SOME fans, but not for ALL. Many DCI fans leave after the last corps regardless of an encore. Clearly those fans don't seem to care or see it as a loss. So maybe 50% want one, and 50% do not. In the long run I think it comes down to the right circumstances when determining when to have one. I always want to see them at regionals and finals. Most other shows I am luke warm to the encore. I would rather get out of the stadium, take in what I just saw, look at souvies, talk to friends, go grab coffee, begin a review, drive home, etc. We're all different, not all the fans are missing out.

There was just something special about seeing all of the corps out there at the same time and better yet played each other off the field and passed in review of the 1st place team of the night. The encore was always an added bonus. The opportunity to hit the souvies one more time though is a bonus.

• Like 1

The word "aplenty" makes me chuckle.

Thanks. It was a word that came to my mind at the time, a person of few words. I had chuckles tonight reading references of aplenty on this thread. Drum Corps peeps are good people. Like!

With respect to the encore debate, the last statement on the dci.org program list cites 'Times approximate and subject to change'. It rained. Go with the flow, ride with the tide; a phrase that I like :)

There was just something special about seeing all of the corps out there at the same time and better yet played each other off the field and passed in review of the 1st place team of the night. The encore was always an added bonus. The opportunity to hit the souvies one more time though is a bonus.

I miss the old retreats, too; but what I don't miss is all the "blah, blah, blah, this and that" that came before the thing even started. The retreats for the DCM shows always seemed like they lasted longer than the actual competition.

I think you may be misinformed. The Cadets have NOT performed Appalachian Spring since 1987 (27 years ago). They have done West Side Story 3 times (1984, 94, and 2009), but any form of Appalachian Spring has not been heard by them since 1987. They haven't played Lincoln Portrait before, at least not in the last 30 years, and have also never performed Grover's Corner or Music for Theater. Research before you throw out accusations.

Not that it matters. I don't count how many times a corps plays a certain piece of music. As long as it works with the show and brings an entertaining, artistic, and challenging quality to it, then I'm good.

Just a FYI,

From corpsreps AND from memory of that year, the Cadets had some of it in 2008:

2008 5 94.750

Pursuit of Happiness - Appalachian Spring * American Elegy * Nitro * Round 4 * Vesuvius * Apollo Unleashed

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=21&corpstype=Junior

Break out the recording and ignore the NPR segment.

Here I found it for you. Not as good as the '87 or current version, but darned good sans the talking.

Edited by jjeffeory

I also miss encore performances when they don't have them. The last time my wife and I didn't stay for an encore was Ypsilanti in 98.It was the night Cavaliers blew everyone out of the water with the energy from their show, and then Blue Devils followed with a lackluster performance. Blue Devils won and did encore, and that is the only time we didn't stay. No offense to the Blue Devils, but that was a long weekend, my wife wasn't feeling the best, and we just didn't feel that show. Every other time there has been an encore, we have stayed. It is so nice to hear the show music over again(at least that is what they used to do) . When they perform it without marching and standing in a semi circle there is no other sound like that in the world. I remember I 94 when Blue Devils did encore early in the season, it may have been the most amazing sound I have ever heard in my life.

But this year there were some very interesting shows. I was surprised that all the corps pretty much had full shows on the field. I know there will probably be 4 new endings in that group as well as hundreds of other major changes, but so nice to see all that hard work from the corps to finish those shows. Especially since there were only 5 corps. At least the audience got their moneys worth. And the fannetwork functioned about the best it ever has for us. I hope everyone else had a positive experience as well.