Can it be

Guys - you've got to change with the times! Otherwise you just end up feeling old and bitter.

I would just suggest looking at the evidence. I am not suggesting everything is bad as I don't think the original author was. WGI sells out every year for world because more than 75% of the people there are students that performed earlier in the event (their numbers). DCI does not have that luxury.

I would just suggest looking at the evidence. I am not suggesting everything is bad as I don't think the original author was. WGI sells out every year for world because more than 75% of the people there are students that performed earlier in the event (their numbers). DCI does not have that luxury.

Eh. I've been to tons of local guard / WGI shows which are well attended and it just isn't students

This same "debate" has been raging in DCI since the 80s, heck the 70s... Right now we have a couple midwest corps not winning who the crowd (locals) love and everyone is getting their panties in a bind.

Saw the same thing a lot in the early 90s with Star beating Madison/Cavaliers/Phantom etc..

This isn't anything new. Folks need to change with the times

If you can't turn on your local "top 40s" radio station and enjoy what you're hearing you're also probably not going to "get" what today's drum corps kids like to do/play

How can the drum corps we love be brought back to the people? The answer is multi fold but has some obvious things that will make it more credible.

First and foremost get the excessive influence of WGI out of the activity. (BOA could benefit from the same thing) What has WGI brought us? A lack of understandable and accessible drill in favor of the whims of a designer’s imagination which often looks like I wrote myself in to a corner so I’ll just run to get out. WGI has also brought us far-fetched “concepts” that only mean something to the person coming up with them based on their troubled childhood! It has also brought us drum lines that dance (whether it fits or not), giant lampshade props, mirrors and coatracks. Uniforms that are ghastly, music that most of the PAYING audience does not want to hear.

Frequent change at the caption and the overall leadership levels would help to eliminate the status quo and indicate a more transparent situation. The entire visual side is lead by WGI guard judges either current or past. Music is lead by elitists that are out of touch with the majority of the audience tastes. Most big shows are judged by people you also see on the WGI shows. In addition the same names over and over. The Artistic Director sells uniforms to half of the DCI corps. Creates a bit of a conflict of interest if he has influence on judges.

Music has moved away from the traditional instruments. Percussion has added electronics and amplification, we have as much singing and talking as we do music in some shows.

Perhaps it is time for a traditional and a new age class. Perhaps a wholesale change at the judge leadership level. Maybe the winter and the summer should be different! The leadership of the elite corps need to look at what is good for the entire activity, not how they can make more money and satisfy their egos.

I just don't see it.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Eh. I've been to tons of local guard / WGI shows which are well attended and it just isn't students

This same "debate" has been raging in DCI since the 80s, heck the 70s... Right now we have a couple midwest corps not winning who the crowd (locals) love and everyone is getting their panties in a bind.

Saw the same thing a lot in the early 90s with Star beating Madison/Cavaliers/Phantom etc..

This isn't anything new. Folks need to change with the times

If you can't turn on your local "top 40s" radio station and enjoy what you're hearing you're also probably not going to "get" what today's drum corps kids like to do/play

You are correct. I mis-spoke. I should have added and thier parents and maybe boy/girlfriends. The point is, it is all participant generated. DCI will find them self in the same situation and they can not survive on that.

People from prior generations are less likely to respect the current generation. People from the current generation are not really respecting what their brothers and sisters brought to the activity in earlier times.

I feel a lot older this year. The current generation likes where the activity is right now. To complain is futile. It's not what you/I knew. It's similar and at the same time it's foreign.

I see things that I really like this year. Yes, there are times when I feel this huge "I don't like that!" but I guess the one comforting feeling is that the feeling is more generational than anything else.

I wish younger people today would get familiar with what prior generations are proud about. I hope at the same time that my generation and those prior will accept that things change and what once was wasn't done for not.

Here is a bit of good news! . . . My son is marching with Carolina Crown this year and loves the corps I marched with in the 80's. He is a huge fan of MY corps, which at this point was 30 years ago. My rookie year was 1984 in a top 12 corps no longer around. Members these days have more access to media that we could only dream of having back 20 & 30 years ago. We also make time when he is home from college to watch "vintage" drum corps. It is a special time for us and the connection to a previous era in the activity has been made.

Dude. How old are you?! You're analogy gives it away. Radio? Top 40? I'm 37 years old. I've never turned on the AM/FM radio in the vehicle I bought 3.5 years ago.

Edited by caliswift

Dude. How old are you?! You're analogy gives it away. Radio? Top 40?

I'm 37 years old. I've never turned on the AM/FM radio in the vehicle I bought 3.5 years ago. It's either satellite or iPhone/Touch. Top 40? Who looks at that? With so much music is available who cares what's "top"? You find music through Pandora, Spotify and stream it through iTunes, Play, Amazon, etc. I get your point but man at least join the last decade if not this one.

I'm far older than 37, and I gotta say that with the right tech, you can access everything you listed plus everything George mentioned. Then, if you want to mine into state of the art, go sample the Berlin Phil's Digital Concert Hall....musical wizards in hi def....on my lappie, iPad, iPhone, etc....it's all there and it's all good.

• Like 1

I have been saying this for years. It is 2014. The technology exists to make the judging system more intereactive & allow fans to vote via their cell phones. But DCI is afraid to lose control of part of the scoring. If they were smart, they would realize that allowing fans to have a partial say in scoring could lead to somewhat of a rebirth of the drum corps activity. It would most certainly lead to more fan friendly, melodic & entertaining shows, which is sorely sorely needed in this activity.

I miss the mid show standing ovation!

allowing the audience to vote is a pretty bad idea, have you ever considered how much bias there would be, I'm pretty sure blue devils would never see a 1st place ever again and what if a corp ( not naming any in particular) payed people to go to the event and help boost there score, there are other possibility's that could end badly with that idea so i will put this nicely your idea sucks.
  • Like 1

Dude. How old are you?! You're analogy gives it away. Radio? Top 40? I'm 37 years old. I've never turned on the AM/FM radio in the vehicle I bought 3.5 years ago.

You haven't HEARD music until you have heard it as it was meant to be heard...on one of these... :augen51:

TR4_TR1_Pies.jpg

• Like 2

51. I'm not sure I get your point.

I listen to Sirius the car / also play music off my Galaxy via Pandora etc etc...

And yes - I still enjoy the music of TODAY. I'm not one of those folks listening to music popular when I was in HS

So maybe I have a little more in common with the kids marching today or considering to march than some other 51 year olds. Or 37 year olds.

My point was are you in TUNE with today's trends. Searching out what you like on Pandora etc... may tell me the answer. Which is no?

Edited by George Dixon