Brass instruments rule change 2014

Which is worse - oversimplified one-line responses, or oversimplified one-line responses with a link to some technical information that no one will fully understand?

The articles lay out some of the limitations of loudspeakers. But rather than close the loop by explaining how those limitations apply to drum corps, drangin merely concludes that "electronics = bad sound". Obviously, that is not globally true. The real issue is that we start with an acoustic ensemble of 100 performers in diverse, changing locations, whose balance and blend achieves certain worthwhile effects... then we mic 10-20 of them and play an amplified, colored mix over a two-point speaker system. Yes, we sometimes see more elaborate systems with six speakers, but the coloration and downmixing effects are still unavoidable.

Meanwhile, tesmusic gives us a cute retort about CDs, records, and movies, neglecting to note that the live music experience is so much more compelling that people will pay significant ticket prices for it.

What is your criticism, that my response is too simple or too technical? People asked me what my problem is with electronics on the field and my reply is that speakers are inherently inferior to natural acoustics. A speaker system also tempts abuse in the form of a Decibel War because it's just too easy to make the corps louder by pushing a fader. Bluecoats' did their pitch tilt trick by playing a synth chord through the speakers that was as loud as the brass chord, and then kept the synth going when the brass came back in, doubling the sound. How does any corps compete with that except by also doubling the sound with the sound system? Sound system Decibel War = yuck.

As for tesmusic, he should ask his administrator how to disagree without being disagreeable.

• Like 1

What is your criticism, that my response is too simple or too technical? People asked me what my problem is with electronics on the field and my reply is that speakers are inherently inferior to natural acoustics. A speaker system also tempts abuse in the form of a Decibel War because it's just too easy to make the corps louder by pushing a fader. Bluecoats' did their pitch tilt trick by playing a synth chord through the speakers that was as loud as the brass chord, and then kept the synth going when the brass came back in, doubling the sound. How does any corps compete with that except by also doubling the sound with the sound system? Sound system Decibel War = yuck.

As for tesmusic, he should ask his administrator how to disagree without being disagreeable.

FWIW I totally agree with your opinion. Drum corps was far more enjoyable before amplification and electronics IMO. There are examples upon examples in the history of drum corps of designers and writers getting creative to achieve a specific effect and doing so acoustically. Electronics have just made designers lazy.

Maybe, but I love my Maggies! (Not that any corps would spend the money to put THOSE on the field!)

Maybe, but I love my Maggies! (Not that any corps would spend the money to put THOSE on the field!)

Magnepans? Nice, what's driving your room dividers?

It's about trombones and the other instruments that weren't allowed before because they can't be heard without microphones.

Trombones can't be heard without microphones? You're either joking, biased, or just not very knowledgeable on the matter.

Edited by RockEuph
  • Like 1

For the most part, you were doing fine. Maybe the "electronics = bad sound" comment could be characterized as an oversimplification.

How about, electronics in the one activity that was acoustic and therefore awesomely unique and set apart from say your typical mainstream rock band I could hear on the radio anytime I wanted, robs me of that awesome experience and therefore to me is a bad sound.

Any better?

• Like 3