Why do You Stay?

Watching this forum over the years, it seems like the amount of threads getting derailed and threads about the decline of drum corps is as high as ever. There's some good discussion that goes on in some instances, and some great points made. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I fully respect that, this thread isn't an attack against any of those people. I'm just, curious?

I have been wondering this for awhile, and just thought I'd get it out there.

Why do you stay, follow, and comment on the activity? Some people have such disgust for what goes on, what it is becoming, and where it is going, that I wonder what keeps them coming back? There's obviously something there, or you wouldn't care and raise hell about it all. There's SOMETHING that you like. I know it.

I just want a simple, as short as possible answer. That's all. It's gonna happen, but please don't argue with each other, shoot down everyone's post because yours is better blah blah. Such a stupid and pointless request, I know. I'm just interested, especially in the ones that think all is lost, why do you keep following the activity?

Because I loved marching more than anything, and keeping up with DCI as a spectator is about as close as I'll ever get to recapturing that feeling.

• Like 4

I don't consider myself a DCI basher, but I would be considered 'old' and am unhappy with some changes. I would think even the MOST CRITICAL AND VOCAL complainers would answer this way . . .

" Look, I've been a fan of drum corps for a VERY long time. I've spent a great deal of time, effort, and money on behalf of the activity. Even more, as a once marching member of a corps, I am a competitor. I will not let this activity leave me without a fight. I will vigorously promote changes that I believe will help, and I will strongly reject any change I believe will work against us. I have never been bashful about my enthusiasm and passion for this, and in NO way will I go away quietly!"

There's something positive in this kind of conviction and energy, I think.

• Like 5

Hanging out with bandos makes me feel good about myself, like really good, like some sort of genius, hot stud god of cow love that can still tie my own shoes good

Plus someone has to keep the bandos in place, look how much they dorked up drum corps

I think every drum corps fan felt a little nauseated when they saw Madison bust out a trombone while the bandos cheered. For the destruction of drum corps grew ever closer and soon, the land would be ruled by the nameless marching bands

Destroy the bandos !

Defund public music education and destroy marching bands !

so you know, your basic mission from G_d!

I see a general decline across multiple internet forums but DCP is so mild compared to others.

I like DCP. There are some people here who keep the forum interesting, others who always make you laugh and some who argue down to a microscopic level.

Thing is, I think people are more inclined to react the way they do because they aren't face to face. If they were to have the same conversation over dinner or even having a beer, they wouldn't react the way they do (unless they had too many beers....).

• Like 1

I don't consider myself a DCI basher, but I would be considered 'old' and am unhappy with some changes. I would think even the MOST CRITICAL AND VOCAL complainers would answer this way . . .

" Look, I've been a fan of drum corps for a VERY long time. I've spent a great deal of time, effort, and money on behalf of the activity. Even more, as a once marching member of a corps, I am a competitor. I will not let this activity leave me without a fight. I will vigorously promote changes that I believe will help, and I will strongly reject any change I believe will work against us. I have never been bashful about my enthusiasm and passion for this, and in NO way will I go away quietly!"

There's something positive in this kind of conviction and energy, I think.

That's the answer I'm expecting with most, if not everyone that replies to this little thread, and I completely agree. When you invest a large amount of time, passion, money, relationships, ect. into something, you can't just let go. And hey, I'm not a fan of everything that's changed either, and there's nothing wrong with speaking up and saying hey, I don't like it and here's why.

My main interest is in those that think the activity is dead, is glorified marching band, and that it is awful. Why do those that think it is so far gone beyond repair and their enjoyability, still like to stir up hell about it even though they are so disgusted?

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

That's the answer I'm expecting with most, if not everyone that replies to this little thread, and I completely agree. When you invest a large amount of time, passion, money, relationships, ect. into something, you can't just let go. And hey, I'm not a fan of everything that's changed either, and there's nothing wrong with speaking up and saying hey, I don't like it and here's why.

My main interest is in those that think the activity is dead, is glorified marching band, and that it is awful. Why do those that think it is so far gone beyond repair and their enjoyability, still like to stir up hell about it even though they are so disgusted?

people have computers now..plain and simple. before this age of computers most just drifted away because they realized

NO ONE WAS LISTENING :satisfied:

I see a general decline across multiple internet forums but DCP is so mild compared to others.

I like DCP. There are some people here who keep the forum interesting, others who always make you laugh and some who argue down to a microscopic level.

Thing is, I think people are more inclined to react the way they do because they aren't face to face. If they were to have the same conversation over dinner or even having a beer, they wouldn't react the way they do (unless they had too many beers....).

Oh this is child's play compared to the kind of stuff I read on other sites. I love DCP too, you've got every mix and match of people, parents, and fans from the activity. There's awesome discussion on here, of course looking past the obvious trolls, troublemakers, ect. And I agree, I have a feeling some people wouldn't react the same way they do on here face to face, there's something easy about getting it all out on a keyboard, and that's not to discredit what some people have to say by any means. I'm just curious like I said.

• Like 1