Why do You Stay?

Some people have invested quite a bit into the activity, probably FAR FAR FAR more than most modern marchers as they probably marched over 10 years. Not to mention, the time after they were out volunteering or other things to get the corps down the road. This is REAL personal investment and commitment. These people I can actually listen and relate too regardless if they like modern marching band or not. Newer age outs I can listen and relate too as well as they have walked the walk. I suppose the twist side would be be people that come here in their teens (or later), never marched, seem to know everything about drum corps and bring up older people dying off and being irrelevant. THAT is some serious trolling folks.

I suppose as a side note, some people live in the past. Just like the guys you meet at your high school reunion still talking about a football game from those years. Or the other people in their 40's trying to relive their youth by posting in face book how much they workout everyday or some ironman or marathon they are in. I suppose I am lucky I got it out of system when I was young. Sort of, been there, did moved on.

I have to agree with this somewhat. There are many many people who do feel this way. I see it even with members who have spent a little time in a corps and a newbie with no experience comes in preaching their views. Alot of disrespect on both sides does creep in and many with valid gripes. I have seen the younger ,never marched person totally try to shut down a vet who actually did this and yet on the other side have seen my own piers go to a show and make fun , out loud of the members of today ( awful ) both sides usually at 1 time or another embarrass themselves.

I do think that a person can have a musical opinion, a like or dislike, comparisons opinions. I dont want to disrespect nor discourage any young , new, excited, person whether they will become a lifetime spectator or a potential member but there is nothing like actually experiencing the activity from the inside. All the external views, opinions, debates, likes , dislikes , excitements , cheers and disappointments IMO cant compare to the actual experience. I encourage ALL younger fans, find a way, work an extra summer, beg , borrow and do what you have to to experience it , even once. You will never forget it and look at the activity very differently. If you cant for whatever reason, when you can as an adult ,volunteer a week or two, most corps will welcome it. A whole new view of it all.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

lol Brasso.....

Are you really standing up for the old guy I was talking about?

Look...the guy was verbally disrespecting a bunch of corps and being very rude about it, loud enough for people in a good 15 feet radius to hear quite well.

My annoyance had nothing to do with him "not having the same opinions as I".

The guy was just being a complete a**hole.

Are you really going to take this guy's side? Think about how much credibility you'd lose on this forum if you did :silly:

Why? Who can say?

I started following the activity when I was a little kid because it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen: the intense power the corps had, the pageantry, the beauty...

Then I got involved, and just like like that, Oz was just a sham. Too many egos, too little respect. Men making their names off of the sweat of others. Seeing it was all hanging by a thread. Realizing that my expectations were too high.

I'm here hoping things get better. Hoping the passion returns.

I am ordinary. Drum & Bugle Corps allowed me to be extraordinary - for a moment in time the best in the world.

Edited by c mor

lol Brasso.....

Are you really standing up for the old guy I was talking about?

Look...the guy was verbally disrespecting a bunch of corps and being very rude about it, loud enough for people in a good 15 feet radius to hear quite well.

My annoyance had nothing to do with him "not having the same opinions as I".

The guy was just being a complete a**hole.

Are you really going to take this guy's side? Think about how much credibility you'd lose on this forum if you did :silly:

I'm not sure you totally read ( or totally understood ) what I said above . If you are asking me did he have a right to be too loud in his conversations, I replied to that, ie " No" as he was apparently too loud in his remarks, acting rudely, as others overheard him ( perhaps this was his intent.. to be rude by being purposely loud ). If you are additionally asking me did I find anything particularly bothersome about his opinions on the shows he was watching, I replied to this as well above, ie " no " as well... I did not find it particularly bothersome personally, as he's entitled to his opinions, as much as I ( and you, others ) disagree with his opinions. Why should i ( or you, or anyone else for that matter) be so concerned, and in your case, so angry with his opinions that it made you literally consider doing bodily harm to him ?. I am absolutely defending his right to have his opinions on the shows he is watching, just as I would yours. Other than the fact that he was apparently too loud in his voice, and acting very rudely, why are you so apparently intolerant of someone not liking what you like ? I don't get the impression he cares a wit about what you think on the shows, so why would you give him a 2nd thought on what he thinks on the shows ? He's entitled to his opinion.. as we all are. But he's not entitled to our concern with him and his views in the least, if his behavior in expressing those opinions are wholly and manifestly inconsiderate of other people, is highly obnoxious, which in this case it surely looked like it was. It really doesn't matter however what age a rude and disrespectful person is, imo. If they are rude, inconsiderate, and obnoxious without cause to those around them, they forfeit their right for us to pay any attention to them at all, not their opinions, and not with anything else about them for that matter. So thats my take on this, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Because there's a difference between vocalizing an opinion and being downright nasty and crude. Calling other corps "crap" and other profanities that I'm sure would be censored out had I typed them here.

• Like 1

Why? Who can say?

I started following the activity when I was a little kid because it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen: the intense power the corps had, the pageantry, the beauty...

Then I got involved, and just like like that, Oz was just a sham. Too many egos, too little respect. Men making their names off of the sweat of others. Seeing it was all hanging by a thread. Realizing that my expectations were too high.

I'm here hoping things get better. Hoping the passion returns.

there isn't an activity in existence that doesn't have alot of the crap you said. The key to it all is get out of it what you need, what you want , what exsite's you, Leave the rest and the others behind

• Like 2

Because there's a difference between vocalizing an opinion and being downright nasty and crude.

Yes, I think we both agree that noone, no matter their age... has any right to be obnoxiously loud , rude,and inconsiderate of others in a public arena.

But just so I'm now clear on your position on all this, aside from the rude behaviour that we all asgree was unacceptable, do you agree that anyone, of any age, is entitled to express their opinion" that all the Corps but one were crapp", if that is what their personal assessment was ?( which you and I probably could not more disaagree with on, with that fan that expresed that personal assessment of it being " crapp ". ).

Edited by BRASSO

Well of course, everyone is entitled to have their opinion. It's just that during a DCI competition, one should probably keep most of that to themselves, and just try to enjoy the show as it is.

If one hated the activity so much, why they would pay money to come out and watch is beyond me.

It's one thing to have opinions on such and such, but to trash the kids who are out there giving blood sweat and tears for 12 weeks, that's not appropriate, no matter what your opinions are.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

Well of course, everyone is entitled to have their opinion. It's just that during a DCI competition, one should probably keep most of that to themselves, and just try to enjoy the show as it is.

If one hated the activity so much, why they would pay money to come out and watch is beyond me.

It's one thing to have opinions on such and such, but to trash the kids who are out there giving blood sweat and tears for 12 weeks, that's not appropriate, no matter what your opinions are.

You have a right to be curious as to why people would take the time, energy and expense to come out to shows that make them so visibly unhappy . My hunch, it might have been the Madison Scouts alone in this case might have been the reason, as from your remarks above, he and the other with him did respond favorably to this one corps. Would I come out to shows where only one Corps made me satisfied with the performances in the show ? Probably not... neither would probably most here either. So it does make you scratch your head why these two came out to that show, and were so visibly upset. My guess, unless they really, REALLY love the Madison Scouts, and are willing to fork over good money to watch and be entertained by just one Corps, these 2 will probably not be returning in the future to any more shows, as I agree with you, why spend good money if the product is so unsatisfying for you that it makes you not only upset and angry, but it makes you rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate to those around you..

Edited by BRASSO