Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

Of course, I'm not naive to the benefits of DCI in Indy constantly, the logistics of the 'flow' of the tour, the financial problems of corps traveling coast-to-coast, etc. I get why the DCI Tour is what it is, and don't expect it to change much in the foreseeable future. I'm lucky I live in Southern CA and have an opportunity to see amazing corps without too much of a drive, and I'm lucky to have FN to see every corps on my computer/TV weekly. I'm lucky I don't live in the Pacific NW where they don't get as much live drum corps, or in places like the Dakotas, or Utah, or AZ, etc.

Very balanced commentary.

I agree It's not "fair" to West Coast fans but given the geography of the tour, I don't think it's going to change much. Even if DCI decides to rotate finals out of Indy occasionally, those rotations won't be just to the West. So maybe a West Coast finals every 15-20 years. Can't see it happening more frequently than that.

We're not asking for a national tour every FREAKING year...maybe once every 5-7 years. And thank you to corps like Phantom and The Cadets and to Crown in 2013 who made the trip to the waste land of the west coast. Other than sitting on the beach taking in the sun...we actually love seeing corps from the other parts of the USA.

• Like 1

We're not asking for a national tour every FREAKING year...maybe once every 5-7 years. And thank you to corps like Phantom and The Cadets and to Crown in 2013 who made the trip to the waste land of the west coast. Other than sitting on the beach taking in the sun...we actually love seeing corps from the other parts of the USA.

As I recall, part of the TOC laundry list that DCI adopted included some financial support to send two world class corps to the left coast every season.

Doesn't that pretty much already happen? Seems like many Top 12 corps have made the trip west in recent years. I know Madison used to do it every 4 years, which I know has stopped, but haven't Bluecoats, PR, Crown, been out there recently?

It would be a good though though to have it a rotating thing, and even have 2 Midwest/East Coast corps go.

On a cycle they could plan/budget for it as well further in advance.

I think most corps make their way to the West but only a few go regularly. Also, there is no West regional as there is Atlanta, San Antonio, Minn., and Allentown, so the West does not get to see all the corps on a regular basis. I know I am fortunate. I can see at least four WC corps shows within an hour or two from where I live if traffic cooperates (one is on July 3rd near the coast so traffic can be an issue) and Allentown is a five or six hour drive which for me is worth the trip.

I think most corps make their way to the West but only a few go regularly. Also, there is no West regional as there is Atlanta, San Antonio, Minn., and Allentown, so the West does not get to see all the corps on a regular basis. I know I am fortunate. I can see at least four WC corps shows within an hour or two from where I live if traffic cooperates (one is on July 3rd near the coast so traffic can be an issue) and Allentown is a five or six hour drive which for me is worth the trip.

I'm not so sure they can call MN a true regional anymore. This will be the second year in a row that they scheduled MN on the same night as Denver.

• Like 1

Look over the 40 plus years history of DCI, not just your "youngish" experience.

DATR has never been a sole operator; there's always been another major contest occurring elsewhere in the country simultaneously.

Allentown even has been shifted at times from everybody to today's split cast, sometimes in July, recently in August. Go back through all DCI history.

It is a deliberate marketing plan by DCI so that all corps aren't together and this feeds into the anticipation and expectations of the major indoor shows of San Antonio and Atlanta.

In fact the Minnesota show is not even 10 years out of the 40 plus of DCI and one recent year was even cancelled by a tornado mid-show. Midwestern regional (of various sizes) has been at various locations over DCI's history. Only two of those years saw almost everybody at Minnesota.

Edited by xandandl

Look over the 40 plus years history of DCI, not just your "youngish" experience.

DATR has never been a sole operator; there's always been another major contest occurring elsewhere in the country simultaneously.

Allentown even has been shifted at times from everybody to today's split cast, sometimes in July, recently in August. Go back through all DCI history.

It is a deliberate marketing plan by DCI so that all corps aren't together and this feeds into the anticipation and expectations of the major indoor shows of San Antonio and Atlanta.

In fact the Minnesota show is not even 10 years out of the 40 plus of DCI and one recent year was even cancelled by a tornado mid-show. Midwestern regional (of various sizes) has been at various locations over DCI's history. Only two of those years saw almost everybody at Minnesota.

Not sure if you were responding to me or not, but if so, I am on the back side of 50 and have been following the activity since 1976. But thanks for the compliment.... I think?

I don't need to go through any history to make the observation that for the last two years they scheduled MN on the same night at DATR and in the recent past DCI marketed MN as a regional for the purpose of seeding into SA. Again, just making an observation. If only two years saw almost everybody in MN then drop the regional part, I suppose.

If this wasn't directed at me, then... in the immortal words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."

Daave,

If one checks with Brian Turner, local TEP for those MN shows, you'll find MN has NEVER had all the World Class corps,

If one checks with the Lindstroms, founders of DATR, one will learn Denver was never instituted as a regional but part of an ongoing series of shows in the Rockies, as your Trooper signature probably already knows. I mention it here only for the sake of those real young posters and readers who have made comments similar to your editorial.

It is only within the past two years that seeding at that weekend became so important and this was to play into the performance order of the indoor shows.

Of course, San Antonio was moved outdoors and split for a few years due to the Dallas Cowboys wanting the Alamodome in previous summers. What the seeding importance is for 2015 is probably one of the items of discussion in Denver this week for the DCI Board meetings. Regionals and Seedings has been a very fluid policy, not something handed on for generations or even decades. Different seasons face different challenges due to weather, availability of corps and venues, and the NFL. (MN was effected last season by Major League Baseball's All Star Game planning and was moved to LaCrosse. Ironically, it poured so hard in Minneapolis that day that the drum corps contest would probably have been cancelled. In Wisconsin, the rain subsided and the show was able to squeeze in before the fog and rain resumed.)

DATR derives its importance more for its consistent attendance of fans (I5K+) and the wonderful venue the stadium is.

Since I have been doing DCI tours as long as yourself, and even longer, I know my memory sometimes fade. I don't present this as infallible statements. I mention the names so others can do the research if they wish.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I agree It's not "fair" to West Coast fans but given the geography of the tour, I don't think it's going to change much. Even if DCI decides to rotate finals out of Indy occasionally, those rotations won't be just to the West. So maybe a West Coast finals every 15-20 years. Can't see it happening more frequently than that.

I agree 100%, and don't expect DCI to change it much: I think it would not be financially prudent for organizations that are seemingly treading water financially on an annual basis as it is. I'm satisfied with FN: while I'd rather see the corps life I'm happy to see their shows develop weekly online. In that aspect DCI has really done a great job to cater to fans who don't have the means to travel to Regional and Finals week events

Edited by perc2100

Very balanced commentary.

I think the rotation would be less