Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

I know I'm late to this answer but....what west coast are you looking at...Peru???

Open class (12): BDC, BDB, SCVC, City Sound, Columbians, Eruption, Gold, Golden Empire, Impulse, Incognito, Thunder, Watchmen

World class (6): BDA, Cascdes, Mandarins, OC, PC, SCV

18 corps...13 of those in California ALONE.

Not to mention 23 championships in World class, 7 in Open class, and 8 in the Div III/Div II days...plus one addtional Div II from a corps that has since folded (Esperanza). 39 titles.

East coast corps numbers (not counting the prospectives)?

Open class (4): 7th Regiment, Costal Surge, Raiders, Spartans,

World class (5): BAC, Crown, Surf, Spirit, Cadets

9...HALF of the number of corps in California, Oregon, and Washington.

# of championships: 11 Open, 11 World...22 overall (HALF of those being Cadets and Crown)

You were saying?

All valid points, but what about the journey out there. Cost of gas, performance opporunities, rehearsal facilities, time.

I think it's not an issue of the number of corps on the west coast, but the lack of presence in the activity west of the Mississippi until you get to California.

Should there be a way to make it work? Yes. Is it financially and time effective to make it happen, not the way I see it.

The travel time and costs would both be significant factors as to why a corps did not travel west, but if an arrangement was made so that a corps from the East or Midwest traveled West, say once every three years, and there was a rotation, the West coast would see the different corps on a regular basis and a corps could raise money and budget for the trip.

The travel time and costs would both be significant factors as to why a corps did not travel west, but if an arrangement was made so that a corps from the East or Midwest traveled West, say once every three years, and there was a rotation, the West coast would see the different corps on a regular basis and a corps could raise money and budget for the trip.

Doesn't that pretty much already happen? Seems like many Top 12 corps have made the trip west in recent years. I know Madison used to do it every 4 years, which I know has stopped, but haven't Bluecoats, PR, Crown, been out there recently?

It would be a good though though to have it a rotating thing, and even have 2 Midwest/East Coast corps go.

On a cycle they could plan/budget for it as well further in advance.

All valid points, but what about the journey out there. Cost of gas, performance opporunities, rehearsal facilities, time.

I think it's not an issue of the number of corps on the west coast, but the lack of presence in the activity west of the Mississippi until you get to California.

Should there be a way to make it work? Yes. Is it financially and time effective to make it happen, not the way I see it.

It's appearing that housing/rehearsal facilities is going to be a far greater issue than fuel costs or show schedule....and those are things outside of DCI's control (read the housing thread if you haven't already).

As for other corps coming out every few years...we're getting that already...have been for a few years (Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Regiment, etc)

I think however, that most in the West would rather see August shows rather than June ones.

Edited by 84BDsop

It was not that far ago that shows on the west coast went into mid-July. Now by the end of June which is basically the start of drum corp season the shows in California end in late June. That's it. Yes there are shows on the west coast in July but it's only open class corps just getting ready for the late season final tour to finals. The saving grace has been watching shows on Fan Network otherwise I probably lose interest. Lets see...BD and SCV has a total of combined 23 DCI World Titles. That with BDB and SCV winning tons of Open Class titles. And only ONE finals EVER on the west coast. I call that pathetic.

Or to put it another way.

* Six World Class corps that we get to see annually (often; sometimes, if you live in So CA for example, you don't unless you drive a bit). In early season, when shows are woefully unfinished and dirty

* The entire rest of the World Class corps we don't get to see unless we book a weekend vacation trip. Conversely, the rest of the country often gets to see every world class corps, as each 'region' seemingly has everyone: South, East, Mid-west, and Finals in centralized Indy. East and Mid-west fans get to see all the WC corps when the shows are done and clean.

It's no secret why 2007 was huge attendance-wise: western drum corps fans LOVE their corps, and were (are) chomping at the bit to see them in August.

Of course, I'm not naive to the benefits of DCI in Indy constantly, the logistics of the 'flow' of the tour, the financial problems of corps traveling coast-to-coast, etc. I get why the DCI Tour is what it is, and don't expect it to change much in the foreseeable future. I'm lucky I live in Southern CA and have an opportunity to see amazing corps without too much of a drive, and I'm lucky to have FN to see every corps on my computer/TV weekly. I'm lucky I don't live in the Pacific NW where they don't get as much live drum corps, or in places like the Dakotas, or Utah, or AZ, etc.

• Like 1

It was not that far ago that shows on the west coast went into mid-July. Now by the end of June which is basically the start of drum corp season the shows in California end in late June. That's it. Yes there are shows on the west coast in July but it's only open class corps just getting ready for the late season final tour to finals. The saving grace has been watching shows on Fan Network otherwise I probably lose interest. Lets see...BD and SCV has a total of combined 23 DCI World Titles. That with BDB and SCV winning tons of Open Class titles. And only ONE finals EVER on the west coast. I call that pathetic.

TOTALLY agree 100%! If not for FN it would be somewhat of a bummer to be a DCI fan on the west coast. Not too much of a bummer, because I have the beach, amazing weather, no snow unless I want to ski, Disneyland, the beach, etc.

The worst was when I moved to Southern CA: I moved early July, the year after I aged-out. I didn't get to see too many shows in the mid-west, where I was from, and by the time I got to my new home BD and SCV and the rest of the western corps were already moving east during the tour. Before FN I really had little interest in the activity, and lost touch for awhile. It wasn't until DCI introduced FN (and DCI brought the "Tour of Champions" to Southern CA) that I got back into drum corps

This tired old whine again

For some reason the West Coast fails to notice that the rest of the nation has short, limited access to World Class Corps too. They disappear from the Midwest in early July only to return to Indy. A 100 mile radius from downtown Chicago (60611) on the DCI site shows world class shows from June 27 to July 12

So would the West coast fans cover the cost to bring a bunch of corps out in ticket prices?

Not likely, I don’t feel they do a good job supporting their current corps other than SCV or BD

Edited by cowtown