Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

I'd respond to this, but apparently discussing the social/political ramifications of where DCI holds its premiere event each year might get this thread locked.

#ain'tgonnaplayCircleCity

Your tickets will probably draw a good price on the MarketPlace.

IMO the benefits that DCI gets by staying in "Circle City" trump any bruised egos about political and community preference.

Your tickets will probably draw a good price on the MarketPlace.

IMO the benefits that DCI gets by staying in "Circle City" trump any bruised egos about political and community preference.

Community Preference? Wow.

I'm guessing that people ok with this are the same people thtat would have been fine with having championships in the segregated south as well right?

There is very high LGBT representation in DCI - From members to staff, I would venture that (at least) 20% of those involved in the activity identify as glbt. And for some corps, those numbers would be CONSIDERABLY higher.

Any youth-serving organization that would allow their members to suffer discrimination is on some very dangerous territory.

The issue has serious religious value and political substance that rates a great discussion, but according to the guidelines Drum Corps Planet isn't the right forum.

For one reason, to presume that automatically one group would see things one way and another group automatically sees it as opposite is not logical or realistic.

For instance, I have homosexual members of my family who have no problems with people following their religious conscience. They (the relatives) disagree with the "movement: which claims to speak in their name...and has never asked them how they as individuals see some of these questions. They feel dictated to in a dictatorial way by a mobement which supposedly represents them. I know many senior citizens who feel the same way about AARP.

So too with drum corps made up of so many different individuals from so many varied value systems, priority systems, and upbringings/education/applications of principal.

This is certainly a many faceted diamond not a black or white issue.

Dialogue yes.

Victimization, not automatic.

Edited by xandandl

they get breaks on the facility depending on crowd size, plus, i'm sure they get a discount for having HQ in Indy. when crowds were down a few years ago, DCI still made decent money because the less of the building they needed, the less they had to pay.

A logical ramification of this is that if fans don't like the product DCI is offering (for all the old-f**t reasons, or folks tired of coming to same location every year, or folks claiming discrimination (real or imagined), or whatever), if attendance drops then profits should go up.

If true this is brilliant for DCI - as attendance (asymptotically) approaches zero, profits become unlimited. The ultimate finals could then be watched (and judged) on-line, with fan network charging for this. Double payday for DCI. Corps souvenirs would take a hit, however.

In reality, I strongly suspect that Indy has some formula - enough fans have to book hotel rooms, eat, etc. The city is aware of a break-even point, on either side of which they lose or make $$.

Would any notable corps be pulling out of DCI and all its shows if DCI doesn't knuckle under to the petition-pushers?

Is this but a back-door way for G7 and Gibbs-Hopkins to make its Buffalo show the national championship?

Community Preference? Wow.

I'm guessing that people ok with this are the same people thtat would have been fine with having championships in the segregated south as well right?

There is very high LGBT representation in DCI - From members to staff, I would venture that (at least) 20% of those involved in the activity identify as glbt. And for some corps, those numbers would be CONSIDERABLY higher.

Any youth-serving organization that would allow their members to suffer discrimination is on some very dangerous territory.

Seriously, you need to take your issue to a different forum.

Making the drum corps activity, even with your purported high population, the mouthpiece for an issue to which less than 5% of the general population relates is one of the surest paths to oblivion for the activity that I can think of.

Please, discuss this on a more appropriate site so you don't end up shutting down other, more pertinent, debate of thread topics.

On the issue of changing and/or rotating DCI Finals locations....

If I recall correctly, DCI signed that contract with Indianapolis and LOS in 2008 and it was a ten-year contract. The 2008 finals were moved to Bloomington because the stadium wasn't ready, but finals has been held in Indiana now for 7 years. Have they re-upped that LOS contract beyond 2017? I really don't know the answer to that question but I do know that 3 years is not a very long time. So if DCI feels strongly about what's going on in Indiana with this bill that we're not supposed to talk about on DCP potentially getting signed into law, and they haven't yet exercised the option of renewing their contract with Indy and LOS, I don't think it would be unreasonble (or dumb) to threaten to move operations when the time comes, as well as their finals location(s), to another locale. Especially if other large organizations are considering the same kind of action of taking their business elsewhere out of Indianapolis, which we've already seen evidence of, and I'm sure we'll see more of if the bill we're not supposed to talk about on DCP gets signed into law.

Food for thought. Perhaps what's going on now which we're not supposed to talk about on DCP is a good thing in that it might allow DCI to examine other options for Finals locations and find something better.

Edited by seen-it-all

IndyStar reporting "Chris Gahl, spokesman for VisitIndy, said the organizers of an annual music event also have threatened to leave if Pence signs the legislation. Gahl declined to disclose the name, saying the organizers haven't gone public yet."

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2015/03/25/disciples-christ-threatens-cancel-convention-due-religious-freedom-bill/70432180/

• Like 2

IndyStar reporting "Chris Gahl, spokesman for VisitIndy, said the organizers of an annual music event also have threatened to leave if Pence signs the legislation. Gahl declined to disclose the name, saying the organizers haven't gone public yet."

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2015/03/25/disciples-christ-threatens-cancel-convention-due-religious-freedom-bill/70432180/

I know DCI isn't nearly as globally popular as Gen Con, but it is just as diverse. The number of people that could potentially be turned away for service during a DCI finals event in Indy would be huge, and would be EXTREMELY embarrassing for DCI to have to explain to members, families of members, and fans why they decided to keep finals in a state that (if the bill is signed) will legally allow discrimination.

In regards to the topic (this is why it's silly to not have an open thread about a law that clearly impacts our community), I don't think finals will ever be held out west again, nor do I think there will ever be another major tour, unless the top sevenish corps get together and decide several years in advance for a Tour of Champions-esque event. It's just too expensive. It's a bummer, but it is what it is. It'd be rad to see finals in Seattle or something.

This topic is relevant to WGI as well. I'm tired of hearing drums in UD arena, and Dayton is nearly as big of a borefest as Indy. Let me go somewhere new.

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte

For consistent thinking, if the legislation is signed and DCI leaves Indy in protest, does that mean Blue Stars, Madison, Crown (Avon H.S. faculty and alums) and Troopers (Spring Training) would no longer practice or hold camps in Indiana and all corps not recruit in Indiana (no one from Avon, Carmel, Ben Davis, etc., et alia.)???

For consistent thinking, would Star United (alumni subset of Star of Indiana) also have to move?

Will DCI still be holding its first contest of the season on June 17th, for consistent thinking? No shows in Ft. Wayne, Evansville, etc.???

Edited by xandandl