Cadets vs. Crown

Oh for sure; I didn't mean to imply the show is perfect as is, or that Crown's design team is infallible. Right now their show seems very much like a "work in progress," perhaps more so than the other current Top 4. Maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve, but when I last saw their show a week or so ago (whenever their more recent FN show was from) I kept thinking, "there HAS to be more to these trampolines that we're not seeing yet/hasn't been added in." Maybe not: we'll find out in a few weeks. The good news for Crown fans is they are still very much competitive/in the hunt and if they can get their ideas on the field in the most effective way possible (and clean the snot out of everything visually), they will still have a great chance of repeating or medaling. Maybe you're right, and the trampolines just aren't what they thought, or are too difficult for members to pull off what Crown's designers originally had in mind & they're "stuck" with them. Either way they've not radically stumbled at this point, and we don't know when/if those trampolines will become mind-blowing GE generators

The designers even mentioned at the preview show that they have a lot more planned for the trampolines. We obviously don't know what they have up their sleeve or if any of them have or will work but you can bet they will exhaust every single idea before they get rid of them.

Im speaking as a teacher that has went to a critique.

Judges dont know what they want. Judges will tell you opposite things. They will tell you what you already know.

Literally this winter a judge told us that we need to change the uniform to different colors, another said change the pants, and the third said the uniform was great. These were all at the same show. Then one judge literally just told us that the show fell apart (like we didnt know we wrote it).

That is all true, especially early season. As a judge myself, it's always a not-so-fun critique early year when the most common comments are, "1) your show is dirty, 2) your show isn't done and I can't really tell what's going on." But good judges can offer more insight, and are able to see more about what might be working/not working, even in an early-season state when the show is more skeletal than fleshed out. I suspect that at least some of these outstanding judges Crown has seen so far have been able to give good insight about where Crown's show design is currently at. Also, in critique it's not uncommon for designers to talk to judges and say stuff like, "we're adding in 'X' over the next few days - do you think that will help clarify 'Y/specific concept' better?" Sometimes designers will solicit advice from a judge to gauge if the judge(s) think the idea(s) will add to the show.

I'm really surprised by peoples' overall reaction to Crown this year. I may be in some super tiny minority here, but I don't see at all how the trampolines clutter the field. They're all pretty far out to each side and aren't very large, and there's still a good majority of the field left to the members, as evidences by the drill, which from what I've seen hasn't been hindered by the props. The frisbees at this point still just kinda fly anywhere, yes, but it's still a pretty interesting experiment that they've got time to fine-tune (and I'm sure they are). I mean, I just couldn't imagine where DCI would be if there weren't programs like Re:Rite of Spring and Out of this World. I understand and cherish the need for tradition and minimalism, but I also understand and cherish the need to take wild risks, and as evidenced by the scores thus far, it's not as if Crown is struggling to keep up with anybody.

I just think a lot of these complaints are only made JUST because people see props on the field and are immediately put off, and no matter what the corps may do with said props, it'll always be negative. Or I could be wrong, and there could be some validity to the arguments against the trampolines and frisbees. I just do wish there was a little more open-mindedness from longstanding fans of DCI.

I don't think it's closed-mindedness, it's that the show doesn't really work right now, wheras you can't ever say the same for BD. You may not like it but it is very close to a cohesive whole at any given time. Crown is not there yet.

I personally love the show. I don't know how many of you know what astronauts go through in space and the significance of the trampolines. the Frisbees are comets or meteorites, obviously, and the trampolines are symbolist to the weightlessness and the training they do out there. if anything the show is truly for the imaginative and thinking man/woman. Is it a little excessive visually? I don't really think so, if you truly understand the context of the entirety of the show. I applaud them for the risk. Look at BD. Talk about excessive. but its all in context, and its one of their best shows in years IMO. Its gonna be hard for them to repeat but you gotta love the revolutionary look at the drum corps concept. Except of criticizing with close-minded opinion, open up to the idea and love it for being fresh and new. Look at Star '93 Medea. the silence was haunting and new, but it gave me chills and a sense of suspense and thousands still consider it one of the best shows in history (I.E. Me!) TY Crown for doing what you do! This is truly a space show that represents, well, space, not just playing themes from The Planets or other musical pieces related to space (I know they use a bit from the theme of Jupiter, so hush people). They will be incredible by August.

Note: I've followed DCI since 2003

Edited by CarelessWhiskers

I made a statement earlier about contacting the designers....which looking back it seems a bit forward and egotistical of myself....didn't mean it to come off that way.....but I guess getting right down to my views this year are really off.....Last year for the first time I had the network and was able to watch every broadcast available, which made it easy for myself to observe over a period of shows what each corps was trying to convey. So when I posted something last year it was based on all the progression of every broadcast. Since I can't afford it this year, I don't have the luxury of being able to back up my posts with references from different performances....so my comments are bias to the corps I have observed through photos,video's...etc at the time I had seen them, meaning there is quite a gap of improvement I have missed....

Regarding Crown and Cadets: I have seen both corps live three times thus far: in Lawrence, Bristol, and Lynn. While I do not think we will see an undefeated season for Cadets, and actually thought it might happen last evening since they got off to a rough start, they will be contenders for the title and strong throughout the season. There show was ready to begin the season, and to be honest, I am surprised at how much I enjoy it. I think the musical book is amazing, the color guard is clean, and the narrator is articulate and spot on, even if his script is somewhat lacking (I've already critiqued this in other threads). The reason for disappointment turned out to be pure speculation. The chatter on DCP was negative, and Cadets who are usually experts at publicity and even George Hopkins himself were unusually silent this past preseason, but silence meant nothing and naysayers were wrong.

Crown has to tighten portions of their show and they have made significant progress, but at this point they have to live with what they have. Surprisingly the trampolines work live, and I say this as one who had reservations after seeing Akron at the movies and the preview. Audiences love every moment of their show.

How these two fare against Blue Devils will not be known until they actually meet, which I believe is this Saturday (Bloo meets them this Tuesday). BD has been judged with full panels, cadets, Crown, and Bloo have not. They have also had different judging panels so until they all actually met head to head, we can't compare what has happened on the East Coast with what has happened out West.

Tonight in Chester should be interesting with a different judging panel in a wonderful acoustical environment with perfect weather. Three wonderful drum corp shows at the top...couldn't be more diverse....loaded with talented kids....can't wait!

Tonight in Chester should be interesting with a different judging panel in a wonderful acoustical environment with perfect weather. Three wonderful drum corp shows at the top...couldn't be more diverse....loaded with talented kids....can't wait!

Dude, I. Am. Excited. For. Tonight!! That stadium is FANTASTIC!!!! And I have PERFECT seats.