Dekalb TOC

I find it odd how discussion about Bluecoats showing all their cards too early can be discussed while not asking how Cadets can maintain some sort of pace like they are also with minimal design changes?

I love both shows, but for this show to suddenly fall out of the sky in a matter of days is frustrating.

The Bluecoats could finish at the bottom of the top seven and it would still be my favorite show of the year.

Exactly. Our job is to enjoy who we enjoy and let the scores go where they go. Only one team is going to win anyways, and the judges will put them as they see fit. I've never cared if my favorites won or not and most of my all time shows didn't even medal. :-) Besides, judging sheets evaluate a lot of things that don't matter as much to us the fans, so it's always going to be an imperfect situation. Cheer your teams on and just have fun!

I'm not particularly optimistic about the Bluecoats at this point... but there is perhaps one explanation for this abomination of placement, point spread... and in particular travesty in percussion and color guard scoring...

Order of performance.

The theory goes like this. BD, the known leader, gets a reserved (and deserved) opening high score across the board. The 'Coats go second of the night and get a very wide margin, as a means of numbers management. Several corps later, we have Crown, Cadets... etc. and the slots between the opening two acts gets filled in.

I can hope for such a theory to be true... but given the evidence from the past couple of days, it would seem that the judges just don't give two shoots about this program... they find it fun, but nothing more.

• Like 1

Are you suggesting BD does not have an entertaining show? I get that argument but their show is pretty fan friendly this year. What is it you want from the judges? BD's show is more sophisticated, but I also think it is very entertaining. If BD went on first, the spread will probably grow tomorrow night, but with 3 weeks left in the season anything is possible. I was getting the sense that people like this BD show, but I guess no matter what they put on the field, if they win, people will be unhappy.

I don't think he remotely suggested that at all.

It's a travesty what is happening to Bluecoats. Ask anyone of my closest friends, and they can tell you I am not a big Bluecoats guy... but this is just messed up.

Didn't DCI just spend the last few years feeding us garbage about how shows were going to be rewarded more based off of entertainment value? Wasn't that the whole point of the new sheets?

I am not delusional or anything. I understand the fan favorite rarely wins, but the quality of this show is right up there as well. Should they be winning right now? Maybe not, but the spread between them and first place is garbage.

I think before we start flying off the rails and screaming conspiracy or something, we should take a second, take a deep breath, and remember a few things:

1) you weren't on the field to see/hear the performance where the judges see/hear them. What might sound fine in the stands doesn't always sound fine in front of a horn or drum line. Maybe they're just not quite clean enough yet.

2) the corps in front of Bluecoats are great. Blue Devils are on their way to potentially another Championship. Cadets are knocking on their door. Crown is defending Champ with a much-improved percussion program, an Ott-contending horn line (again), and attempting some pretty crazy visual stuff that could be mind-blowing if they tweak & clean the design well enough.

Sitting fourth right now is not the end of the world, or even the end of the season! Bluecoats were noticeably dirty last night via FN, and still have a LOT to clean. The beauty of a simplistic theme like "tilt" is endless possibilities for effect stuff to add. The bad thing about a simplistic theme is, well, it's a bit simplistic and will have trouble contending with a "deep" concept. When 'Coats clean more, they might move up. Or maybe not: the competition is great this year and if Bluecoats aren't quite up to Top 3 this year that just means we have an amazing Top 6 this year!

• Like 1

I think before we start flying off the rails and screaming conspiracy or something, we should take a second, take a deep breath, and remember a few things:

1) you weren't on the field to see/hear the performance where the judges see/hear them. What might sound fine in the stands doesn't always sound fine in front of a horn or drum line. Maybe they're just not quite clean enough yet.

2) the corps in front of Bluecoats are great. Blue Devils are on their way to potentially another Championship. Cadets are knocking on their door. Crown is defending Champ with a much-improved percussion program, an Ott-contending horn line (again), and attempting some pretty crazy visual stuff that could be mind-blowing if they tweak & clean the design well enough.

Sitting fourth right now is not the end of the world, or even the end of the season! Bluecoats were noticeably dirty last night via FN, and still have a LOT to clean. The beauty of a simplistic theme like "tilt" is endless possibilities for effect stuff to add. The bad thing about a simplistic theme is, well, it's a bit simplistic and will have trouble contending with a "deep" concept. When 'Coats clean more, they might move up. Or maybe not: the competition is great this year and if Bluecoats aren't quite up to Top 3 this year that just means we have an amazing Top 6 this year!

This is, of course, true. But looking at it from a staff and member perspective, I'd get pretty tired of "5th-ish" year after year. I can't imagine this is easy to swallow for them right now.

...or maybe, just maybe, the Bluecoats are not cleaning their show as rapidly as Devils, Cadets, and Crown, and maybe, just maybe, their depth of program compared to the three in front of them is starting to show a little.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

This is, of course, true. But looking at it from a staff and member perspective, I'd get pretty tired of "5th-ish" year after year. I can't imagine this is easy to swallow for them right now.

Or you could be Spirit, Troopers, etc. fighting just to make or hold onto a spot at finals each year. It could always be worse, but as we know, just because you get better, so does everyone else. Cavies have jumped back in the top 6 mix and it looks like BK could be making a run.

I'd imagine it's like being a Braves fan.. :-)

Edited by trumpetcam