Dekalb TOC

Bluecoats 2014 = Madison Scouts 1995?

Possibly Madison 1995, but definitely not Madison 1996. I really like Bluecoats this year, but that Madison 1996 show was unreal (from a fan's perspective). Those Jon Schipper solos are pretty legendary. Never saw a crowd react that way to a show at Finals, myself included (before or since), and have been at Finals since 1989.

Edited by Quad Aces

Bluecoats 2014 = Madison Scouts 1995?

Although my favorite show of 1995 is probably the Blue Devils' "Carpe Noctem".

The Bluecoats could finish at the bottom of the top seven and it would still be my favorite show of the year.

It's going to be a lot of people's favorite show of the year. And I wish I could say 7th was an impossibility.

Their only hope at this point is to throw changes at the wall and try to make something stick, but I think the judges have made up their minds on Bluecoats 2014 at this point.

• Like 1

I've been wondering if they played their cards too soon...with the synth pitch bend at the end. Imagine if they added that in Allentown...

I was thinking that same thing. That show just seemed way too complete way too soon. I really hate this situation for them.

The Bluecoats could finish at the bottom of the top seven and it would still be my favorite show of the year.

Regardless of where they end, the same. I'm a little down from the recent scores, but I still freakin love that show! Thats what matters to me. :)

Edited by DrumManTx

That's exactly what I'm thinking. 2007 was a criminally (pardon the pun) underscored show. This is looking like the sequel.

I dunno if I'd say underscored more than 2007 was a season with an INCREDIBLE Top 7. Less than a point separated 4th & 7th, and with the "right night/show" I think any of those corps could've changed spots: especially SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats. 2007 was a special year where 7th might seem disappointing, but now when you look at a) the competition above, and b) the insanely close spread between Bluecoats in 7th & SCV in 5th.

Also, IIRC, Bluecoats had significant visual deficiencies compared to the other corps above them, and THAT is what kept them out of Top 6. And by a funny to think about it now development, Crown's brass ALMOST kept THEM out of Top 6 (brass was their lowest caption, coming in 7th in 2007). SCV's percussion almost cost them Top 5, with that 7th place being their lowest-achieving caption (which likely hurt their 7th place GE Music as well).

• Like 2

It's a travesty what is happening to Bluecoats. Ask anyone of my closest friends, and they can tell you I am not a big Bluecoats guy... but this is just messed up.

Didn't DCI just spend the last few years feeding us garbage about how shows were going to be rewarded more based off of entertainment value? Wasn't that the whole point of the new sheets?

I am not delusional or anything. I understand the fan favorite rarely wins, but the quality of this show is right up there as well. Should they be winning right now? Maybe not, but the spread between them and first place is garbage.

Are you suggesting BD does not have an entertaining show? I get that argument but their show is pretty fan friendly this year. What is it you want from the judges? BD's show is more sophisticated, but I also think it is very entertaining. If BD went on first, the spread will probably grow tomorrow night, but with 3 weeks left in the season anything is possible. I was getting the sense that people like this BD show, but I guess no matter what they put on the field, if they win, people will be unhappy.

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 2

Are you suggesting BD does not have an entertaining show? I get that argument but their show is pretty fan friendly this year. What is it you want from the judges? BD's show is more sophisticated, but I also think it is very entertaining. If BD went on first, the spread will probably grow tomorrow night, but with 3 weeks left in the season anything is possible. I was getting the sense that people like this BD show, but I guess no matter what they put on the field, if they win, people will be unhappy.

I don't think he was specifically calling out BD. Note that there were 2 other corps ahead of Coats tonight, not just BD. He could have just as easily meant either of them. Or all of them. Or 2 out of 3 or them....or something.

Are you suggesting BD does not have an entertaining show? I get that argument but their show is pretty fan friendly this year.

To be fair, it's fan friendly for the Blue Devils. It's still not "fan friendly". Bluecoats, that's a fan friendly show.