San Antonio Regional

SCV- WOW! Love this now that I've see. It in person. Powerful, passionate! Great show. Better than 04? Not sure and don't care

Love your last sentence....

So hoping I could have seen this in person this year....

Point differentials, San Antonio 2014 vs. 2013:

Blue Devils: 91.650 - 89.450 = +2.2
The Cadets: 90.975 - 88.450 = +2.525

Bluecoats: 89.850 - 85.050 = +4.8

Santa Clara Vanguard: 89.000 - 87.600 = +1.4

Carolina Crown: 88.700 - 89.200 = -0.5

The Cavaliers: 86.925 - 83.200 = +3.725

Phantom Regiment: 84.725 - 85.750 = -1.025

Blue Knights: 84.100 - 82.050 = +2.05

Boston Crusaders: 82.425 - 80.950 = +1.475

Blue Stars: 81.725 - 78.050 = +3.675

Madison Scouts: 81.425 - 83.250 = -1.825

Crossmen: 80.250 - 77.500 = +2.750

Troopers: 77.900 - 77.050 = +0.85

Spirit of Atlanta: 76.550 - 79.200 = -2.65

Colts: 76.100 - 75.050 = +1.05

Oregon Crusaders: 74.800 - 71.350 = +3.45

The Academy: 74.775 - 71.950 = +2.825

Pacific Crest: 73.050 - 75.550 = -2.5

Mandarins: 69.650 - 71.250 = -1.6

Cascades: 67.200 - 64.950 = +2.25

Pioneer: 64.125 - 63.000 = +1.125

Most Improved:
1. Bluecoats (+4.8)
2. The Cavaliers (+3.725)

3. Blue Stars (+3.675)

4. Oregon Crusaders (+3.45)

5. The Academy (+2.825)

Biggest Drops:

1. Spirit of Atlanta (-2.65)

2. Pacific Crest (-2.5)

3. Madison Scouts (-1.825)

4. Mandarins (-1.6)

5. Phantom Regiment (-1.025)

• Like 2

You're still making the flawed assumption that fast=hard=good. Which again, isn't necessarily the case. Cadets are actually doing a lot less fast/hard segments of their show this year (it actually started last year). I love the variety they are now displaying. I just think a lot of it isn't as impactfull and effective as some GE judges seem to think it is.

Oh, I definitely think fast playing is usually 'hard,' depending on the the chart itself, the duration of the drill and the ensemble coordination involved. Whether it equates to 'good' is why we have judges to make that call.

I would concur that they need to build some additional impact into the show, and make the end percolate for max emotional impact....and make it super sanitary. Short of that, I think BD will prevail.

Edited by brichtimp

I heard thunder will be back next year. Finances were not the issue.

I hope you're right. I heard they would not be back... from a source within the organization, but again, I hope this isn't the case. Money is definitely not the issue.

Edited by luv4corps

Oh, I definitely think fast playing is usually 'hard,' depending on the the chart itself, the duration of the drill and the ensemble coordination involved. Whether it equates to 'good' is why we have judges to make that call.

Right. A good example of this is something I noticed in Mandarins' show. They play this crazy-technical run in their show. Tough. Fast. I don't remember what they were doing visually, but I do remember that the run, while itself kinda cool, had no set up...and no payoff. Nothing before or after to make it *musical* and play into the show to a high degree. So while out of context it's challenging, in the context of the show I really didn't care.

• Like 1

Right. A good example of this is something I noticed in Mandarins' show. They play this crazy-technical run in their show. Tough. Fast. I don't remember what they were doing visually, but I do remember that the run, while itself kinda cool, had no set up...and no payoff. Nothing before or after to make it *musical* and play into the show to a high degree. So while out of context it's challenging, in the context of the show I really didn't care.

Yep....drill for the sake of same doesn't feed the bulldog, no matter how challenging. For example, although it wasn't super clean, the final drill sequence in Crown's 2012 show fed seamlessly into that last chord that reached out and swept the crowd to their feet. Yet, a somewhat similar approach they seem to be doing at the end of this year's show seems like a lesser one-off, even with their superb brass.

Edited by brichtimp

I say so many, but actually just 3.

Hey they got center snare back! You get some back. You lose some...

That violin is absolutely outstanding. Arranging, balance, blend, performance...wow...

Nit picky and very late to the conversation... but OC uses an electric viola throughout the show, not a violin. The viola vs. violin adds just a little bit more darkness to the theme IMO

Kind of like the extended tenor feature in BD's show this year ;-)

Nit picky and very late to the conversation... but OC uses an electric viola throughout the show, not a violin. The viola vs. violin adds just a little bit more darkness to the theme IMO

Well, being electric, they can make it sound like whatever they want. If I was playing it, I'd use a viola too because I have big hands and long fingers :)