Favorite underrated show

Troop 11 and Magic 03.

• Like 2

SCV 2011

Bluecoats 2011

Troopers 2011

The Academy 2011

...I guess you could say I liked 2011 ;)

Phantom 04 was what I based my marching band show off of last year. Great source music.

What are some of your favorite underrated shows? By underrated, I mean either shows that you liked that most other people didn't enjoy or shows that did relatively poorly with the judges based on a corps usual placement.

I'm not entirely sure this one qualifies by my own definitions, but I really love SCV's 2010 Bartok show. I was a relatively new fan at the time, but it seems like most people here on this board were not that enamored with it at the time. It was also one of the worst received shows by the judges in SCV's history. There could be other reasons why it scored poorly, but I think the show design is one of my favorites of all time. Kind of shocked, actually, that no one else has (had) used Concerto for Orchestra. The opening of the fifth movement seems perfect for drum corps.

I LOVED Bartok. One of my all time favs. Also 1990 Star of Indiana and 1997 Cadets rank high on my list.

Edited by PeteInGA

My all time favorite show is Star 93. Fortunately, it's considered a classic now, but it was definitely not popular then. I spent a whole season arguing.

I appreciate Star 92 now. It was unpopular then, and I didn't care for it. I do now.

1988 Cadets. I have always believed, and still do, that it was even better than 87.

BD - the Yowza year. Loved it then. Love it now. Just watched it last week.

Bluecoats 2010 IMO, is better than Bluecoats 2014. In hindsight......Bluecoats 2010 was the BEST show on the field that season.

Blue Devils 2000 (even though Cadets 2000 is in my top 5 shows of all time)

Bluecoats 2007 (Criminal. I will go to my grave believing that show got shafted in the rankings)

Crossmen 2004 (Maybe just because I like "Clouds" so much, but hey)
Madison 1999, 2003

Magic of Orlando 2003

• Like 1

Cadets 1999

Blue Devils 2000

Cadets 2001

Cavaliers 2007

Blue Devils 2011

Bluecoats 2012

Phantom 2013

Crown 2014?

Non-winning years that follow winning years seem to suffer from comparison to the previous year rather than be appreciated in their own right. 6 of my 8 fall into this category and the other 2 are perhaps just my sappy sentimentality.

SCV 2002, 2003, 2008
Glassmen 2005, 2010

Madison 2003

Magic 2003

Crown 2005

Phantom 2001, 2004, 2009

Southwind 2000, 2005, 2006

Bluecoats 2004, 2005

Blue Devils 1998, 2000, 2008

Cadets 2003, 2007, 2012

Just to name a few.

Edited by RockEuph

These 4 instantly came to mind, in chronological order.

The Academy 2010

"Strangers in Paradise"

• Overture and Chorus, from Prince Igor - Alexander Borodin
  • Aquarium, from Carnival of the Animals - Camile Saint Saens
  • Polovestian Dances - Alexander Borodin

If you close your eyes this is a finalist corps, they sounded THAT good to me. While the visual elements of this show certainly aren't terrible, they are what kept this corps from moving up in my eyes in terms of clarity, I thought the writing, while dirty in comparison to their competetiros, was strong, though not a stand out. Loved the color scheme here, I thought the reds, purples, yellows, and creams looked gorgeous against the corps proper. Glassmen 1998 being one of my absolute favorite shows, I loved the music of Borodin and what The Academy did with it. I think it is masterfully arranged and with a hornline that peels your face, it is one of my favorite listens. I think it should have been a solid 13th, closer to Glassmen.

The Academy 2011

(RE-)

• Little Fugue in G Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Lux Aurumque - Eric Whitacre
  • Fly - Ludovico Einaudi
  • Lollapalooza - John Adams

Take everything I said about 2010 and bump it up about 10 notches. This has turned into a favorite show from 2011 and a top 5 all favorite time show for me. While it was enjoyed quite a bit in the season, not much talk about it afterwards, in such an incredible year, that can happen. I think they should have been 13th going on 12th......hear me out. The hornline, on the same level or better than their phenomenal 2010 one, the drumline, with the help of Murray Gusseck, had the balls, intensity, and clarity of a top 8 drumline, and I think if they placed higher they would have been. 10th in prelims while going on in the 15th slot, pretty impressive. This show reminds me A LOT of the Bluecoats this year, a simple theme that they absolutely take and run with it. Lots and lots of fun and cool echo effects in the musical arranging, drill design, and other elements. The pieces had time to develop, and were full of power and intensity that I think isn't matched too often, a truly in your face show. While again visual was their weakness, I don't think it was as bad as the scores reflect, I think the tails on the coats muddied up a lot of the tight quarter drill maneuvers they had, but not the extent that they should have been that low, in my eyes of course. I can think of moments off the top of my head in this show that I can't forget. The HUGE opening hit after the soprano solo, the ripple horn run and impact there after in the opener, the BEAUTIFUL ballad, and the absolutely fun, weird, and quirky closer from John Adams. I think the color scheme fit this quirky, fun show to a T, and those huge flags at the end with elements from all the designs, combined with the electric yellow in the guards costuming made for a huge visual impact to highlight such an amazing p[production. I'm pretty passionate about this one, it still blows me away that this show was 15th place. I find it a little underrated in both aspects, score and popularity.

Troopers 2011

The Road Home

• The Old Church - Stephen Paulus
  • China Gates - John Adams
  • Memory, from Nepomuk's Dances, 3rd Movement - Marcelo Zarvos
  • Muted and Sensuous from Four Piano Blues, 4th Movement - Aaron Copland
  • Mama - Edgar Meyer

Along with The Academy, also in my all time favorites. Talk about a contrast to that one though. Words that come to mind, luscious, beautiful, understated, emotional, intimate. The show is open to interpretation, but I interpret it as this. You are somewhere far from home, you are longing to return. You begin your journey, it gets a little bit treacherous, a little rough, you are tired, worn out, and longing to return, and finally, you cross that final hill, and there it is. You're home. Rather than a direct storyline, they play with all sorts of moods and paletes of sound and color to interpret this journey, and it is a monumental success in my eyes. The opening is just luscious and to die for, the next movement exciting and building tension, another beautiful ballad, slightly less optimistic, but then the closer bursts to life with happiness and joy, leading into that incredible moment, the infinity chord. No break neck drill, no guard work, no front ensemble, no drums, just a wall of brass sustaining until eternity. And then, the music form the opening returns, and the corps travels up the simple, yet hugely effective road tarp that is utilized throughout, to the top corner of the field, playing backfield while the guard carries a Trooper insignia flag, returning home. This reminds me of how I felt watching the Blue Knights this year, almost a dream state experience rather than a drum corps show for me, evoking a huge emotional response that still gives me chills. Just, wow. A beautiful production. Not your typical Troopers show, but a huge success in my eyes. A little under appreciated from the fans to me, and I think a little under scored.

Oregon Crusaders 2013

"My Heart, My Battle, My Soul"

• Going Home, from New World Symphony - Antonin Dvorak adapted by William Arms Fisher
  • Summertime, from Porgy and Bess - George Gershwin
  • House of the Rising Sun - Traditional
  • Rolling in the Deep - Adele
  • Jericho - Morton Gould

If you would have told me that a corps moving up from Open Class would take on a show of this complexity and difficulty I would have called you crazy. After 2012s amazing greatest world class hits mash up, this show was a lot harder to swallow, but in a Blue Devils kind of way, if you dig in there's a lot of amazing stuff to find. Can't say I'm a fan of the uniform tops still, but they don't ruin the show for me. The whole show just reminds me of what the Blue Devils of late are doing in style. Older elements but in new, twisted, and refreshing ways. Seems the 2013 Blue Knights and Oregon gave the idea for some full corps tambourine features we are seeing this year. I think the story is a very interesting one to portray, what I take as a woman waiting for her husband to return home from war, and finding out he's dead and joining him in the afterlife. There's some elements of this show that I absolutely love. 1st, the vocalist, who was phenomenal. I think Oregon's really experimenting with integrating new elements into the drum corps idiom in terms of new sound textures, vocals and guitar in 2012, vocals in 2013, and the violinist in this year. Not necessarily new, but they were an integral part of the programs and provided a hauntingly beautiful element to the shows over these past 3 years. Secondly, I love the ballad. Oh my God I still get chills. You have the mournful, sad ballad going on up front, with a New Oreleans, Mardi Gras-esque funeral march going on backfield. Again, not a new idea, but Oregon's take on it was incredibly successful in my eyes. Lastly, the closer is just awesome, love the mix up of Rolling in the Deep and House of the Rising Sun, I think they're meshed seamlessly, and close out the show in a bluesy, but optimistic fashion. Add that on top of a Star of Indiana 1991 esque cross to cross, with the dead couple going down the middle into a coffin to be together for eternity, it's a perfect way to end this cerebral and complex show. Give this show another week and I could see it in the fight for finals. Drumline was awesome too. I find this one under rated in appreciation, rather than score. Like I said, if only they had one more week.....

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3