Favorite underrated show

Some others I thought of:

Magic of Orlando 2002- at the peril oft beloved Blue Knights they were the best Div 2 Corps ever.... Wind and the Lion was super cool! Finished 10th I believe?

Crossmen 1997- 6th place finish, great soloist that year.

Phantom 2000- Rite of Spring- khaki Regiment had maybe best arrangement of Rite of Spring ever. Placed 7th was much better than that.

SCV 2000- played Stain Glass and Adagio for Strings- Incredible angry and sorrowful show. Best ballad ever imho.

1977 Garfield - classic old school east coast Drum Corps

1979 North Star - soloist Noonan aimed the solo in Ole' straight at Maynard Ferguson (who was seated next to a very young Rondo) & nailed it

1979 SCV - Opener (verdi Requiem) was, as described by Boo, absolutely brutal

1999 Madison

I just chose through the last 8 years: shows that I would've placed higher, therefore, underrated...

2013 Troopers - Magnificent 11

2013 Oregon Crusaders - My Heart, My Battle, My Soul

2013 Vanguard Cadets - The Art of War

2012 Crossmen - FRAGILE

2012 The Academy - Left of Spring: Stravinsky Revisited

2012 Vanguard Cadets - Heroes and Legends

2012 Legends - The Edmund Fitzgerald

2012 Music City - Phantom of the Grand Ole Opera

2011 Phantom Regiment - Juliet

2011 Boston Crusaders - Revolution

2011 Blue Knights - An English Folk Song Suite

2011 Madison Scouts - New York Morning

2011 Troopers - The Road Home

2011 The Academy - (RE)

2010 Bluecoats - Metropolis: The Future is Now

2010 Phantom Regiment - Into the Light

2010 Blue Stars - Houdini

2010 The Academy - Strangers in Paradise

2010 Pacific Crest - The Maze

2009 Santa Clara Vanguard - Ballet for Martha

2009 The Academy - The Ascent

2008 Carolina Crown - Finis

2008 Boston Crusaders - Neocosmos

2007 Phantom Regiment - On Air

2007 Bluecoats - Criminal

2007 The Academy - The Chase

2006 Blue Devils - The Godfather, Part BLUE

2006 Santa Clara Vanguard - Moto Perpetuo

2006 Carolina Crown - In.trance.it

2006 Glassmen - Beethoven: Mastery & Madness

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut

SCV 2000- played Stain Glass and Adagio for Strings- Incredible angry and sorrowful show. Best ballad ever imho.

I'm glad you mentioned this. That show seemed to hinge on how well they pulled off the Barber piece and when they got it to work at finals, they jumped up a place (if I'm remembering right.)

I'd lost my grandmother that year and not really had a chance to grieve her since the funeral in January. I had the chance to go to finals since it was next door in College Park. I realized at quarters just how emotionally shut down I was when shows weren't causing me to feel the ups and downs of hits and such. It was that Adagio for Strings that opened me up again.

So after the quarters, I came home and was humming the Barber piece all night. Woke up humming it some more. On my morning walk, I swear I could hear it but wrote it off as 'a tune stuck in my head.'

Then I turned at the end of my walk and saw SCV practicing that ballad over and over at the middle school right behind my apartment building. Ha! I basically camped their practices and cheered from the fence behind them until it was time to load up and go watch the semis. They practiced it all day the next day too before finals.

That show remains one of the more intimate memories of Drum Corps for me.

• Like 2

1979 North Star - soloist Noonan aimed the solo in Ole' straight at Maynard Ferguson (who was seated next to a very young Rondo) & nailed it

Since all his solos were on the 50, I'd say he played all of them to Maynard.

I'll say 2002 cavaliers. I know people would say this anything but underrated, however all things considered in the design and physicality it took to execute, it seems not to get talked about enough. It does share the highest scoring show honors so I thought it would be mentioned on dcp even more than it is.

Oh duh, I forgot about another one. Don't have time to write a novel about it right now, but Bluecoats 2013 show, "...to Look for America" was an amazingly refreshing and non cliche approach to an Americana patriotic show and is probably my favorite one of the genre. Instead of going to the past for ways to portray the American theme, they went for a modern day in America, a parade, a hectic day in the city, a pop concerts, ect., I thought it was a breath of fresh air into a, no offense to The Cadets this year, fantastic show, but really tired and overdone genre in the marching arts world. I loved the integration of the parade drum cadence throughout as a uniting element, and the opening and closing minutes of their show were medalist worthy IMO. Plus, Steve Reich's "City Life", the tune after the opener was my favorite chart last year, Rarick and Thrower at their absolute best once again. Visual scores, I can see, the technique didn't help much, but otherwise, a masterfully done show that I didn't appreciate a lot until I put on some headphones this past winter and really started listening. I like the visual package too.

Cadets 1999

Blue Devils 2000

Cadets 2001

Cavaliers 2007

Blue Devils 2011

Bluecoats 2012

Phantom 2013

Crown 2014?

Non-winning years that follow winning years seem to suffer from comparison to the previous year rather than be appreciated in their own right. 6 of my 8 fall into this category and the other 2 are perhaps just my sappy sentimentality.

I see others have added quite a few more non-winning shows that followed winning years:

Blue Devils 1995

Blue Devils 1998

Santa Clara 2000

Blue Devils 2000

Cavaliers 2003

Cadets 2006

Blue Devils 2008

Cadets 2012