Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

George Oliviero has spewed hate on The Cavaliers from back when I was a marching member until the present. Every time I think he reaches a new low he grabs a shovel and continues to dig a deeper hole.

Actually, in the shows that counted, ( Prelims and Finals ) in the years you marched, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, George Oliviero evaluated the Cavaliers more than fairly, imo.

For example, in 1980, G. Oliviero judged Vis. Ana. in the Semi's and gave your Cavs a 7.00. He gave you a higher score than did G. Monterastelli did in this captiion in the Finals, which was a 6.80. Your Cavs finished 9th overall at Finals.

In 1981, the following year, G. Oliviero was one of the 2 M & M Judges and gave your Cavs a 9th, while your combined 2 judge M& M score placed your Cavs in 10th in this caption, and your Cavs finished 10th overall this season.

In 1982, G. Oliviero judged neither the Semi's nor the Finals, and your Cavs finished 11th at Finals, their lowest finish at Finals since this time.

In 1983, G. Oliviero likewise did not judge either the Semi's nor Finals, so he had little to do again with your Cavs overall placement at Finals of 9th this season either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

...Starting next year, can the music of Appalachian Spring be shelved for a looooooong while? Please?

YES! It would be a simple gift not to hear any corps play any part of it... for awhile!

• Like 1

You're assuming that I want drum corps to be what it was in the 70s. I don't. I already did that era, and it was fun, but times have changed.

I just want to have the judges looking a a given product to be driven by knowledge of professional standards, the same as they are in the music captions. I think you'd discover that the insular world of winter guard (where most visual judges come from these days) often rewards work that would be ripped apart in a production meeting or in a professional media review, where the critics/judges aren't very forgiving of "well, we're trying to say..."

Your corps isn't scoring as well as you would like. Noted. Thanks.

Perhaps the drum corps activity needs the "super judge." :laugh::thumbup:

"Those are some tall tubas! Golly."

"I keep losing my pencils like gangbusters."

"Those sure are some purty flags."

At a high school band competition my freshman year, the judge tape we got was filled with comments llike "oh, are those gold feathers in your plumes? Wow, I loooove those!"

Boy a lot of second guessing the judging panel and results!

This was a very deep, experienced panel

Doesn't mean you have to "like" the outcome - but personally I think the recaps look pretty reasonable

A couple of notes:

Clearly BD is the front runner this year - I'm not sure anyone will challenge them. The judges see the same thing I'm seeing, VERY strong and balanced corps performing the heck out of a strong and well-designed, effective program

Cadets: seems some polish is off the apple as the recaps are much more mixed. A week ago they were a pretty consistent #2 in everything, now we see more 3s & 4s mixing in. Cadets are clean and technically sound, but as the corps behind them have improved execution their show is starting to come off more "stale" in comparison. Time for Cadet land to get busy and ramp this show's GE up and put a better ending in place. If they fail to do so - they could easily drop as low as fifth by finals. If they make the perfect changes it's possible they could close in some on BD and give them a challenge

Coats: a true contender for second, an outsider contender for Gold. They'll need to clean clean clean this next week to cut that gap down to a more reasonable 1 point with BD at Allentown and then have a GREAT finals week. If I was on Coats staff Crown would be making me vary nervous, as would SCV. Crown seems to have more momentum and GE potential to move into the medals ranks.

Crown: a very talented corps with a dirty show. But changes in place have improved the clarity of the program and its effectiveness. The Brass caption is theirs - they've got to clean their feet and that guard. If they do - watch out. Bit downer here remains percussion. After starting the season in great shape they've been posting fifth and sixth place finishes. Looks like it remains their achilles heal - perhaps cleaning the feet will help. Guard MUST get sparkling clean, and they could contend for a medal or even second place.

SCV: a very dangerous corps but frankly the judging community is placing them lower than I'd expect. Drums are unreal and they've got a great shot at the Sanford. With the right cleaning they could medal - and the 3 corps in front of them should keep close watch on SCV as they clean that marching - particularly direction changes and the transitions. Guard doesn't seem to connect as well this year as last, and the "story" is a bit fuzzy - so some changes in that regard could help their GE

Some real interesting stuff in the middle ranks (Boston could take out Regiment if they can clean enough), around 12th place (which seems like Crossmen's to lose, but it could be Madison's to lose eventually) and also of course the 13th-17th place corps which are very strong this year and quite competitive. Getting into semi-finals will be a real challenge and a very good corps or two will be left watching on Friday night!

Overall a great year in DCI with several competitive shows, and a ton of variety in the top 12 ranks - perhaps the most varied programs I can recall

Looking forward to A-town!

George.

• Like 2

Shouldn't people judging choreography and staging be people who have actually worked (professionally) in those fields, rather than being real estate agents and travel agents?

I guess if the qualification to become a MLB umpire, or an NFL referee, etc and other sports is that you have had to play that sport professionally, we'd have to eliminate all the math teachers, real estate brokers, insurance agents, travel agents, small business owners, lawyers, that are currently judging in these sports too that never played the sport " professionally " either.... which means goodbye to most these umps, refs that have been working these jobs for decades as well.

My concern is not so much with the current people judging.. all of 'em good, honest, people who are asked to do essentially an impossible job, ie compare and contrast completely and wholly disparate things, but the fact is that most of the judges are white ( or white-Asian ) and are mostly over 50 years old. DCI could use a younger judges perspective, and with fresher eyes and ears, and with perhaps more eclectic and younger tastes in musical genres. I have little doubt for example that judges under ( for example ) 35 or 40 might have a different take on this season's BAC show, and conversely also, a different take on the Cadets show ( for just one brief example ). People over 50 that are white DO tend to have musical impulses that instinctively and intuitively respond differently than do most people under 35, 40 and how they respond to music and visual images. George Oliviero is a good guy... honest to a fault. Solid integrity. I've known him for 40 years. He judged DCI shows when he was in his late 20's. T. Nicolaris also was in his 30's doing major DCI shows back in the early years of DCI as well. Where are today's 20's, 30's, early 40's judges doing DCI major shows ? We don't have that, and their younger perspective outlook on the shows. DCI could use an infusion of much younger DCI judges, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

My concern is not so much with the current people judging.. all of 'em good, honest, people who are asked to do essentially an impossible job, ie compare and contrast completely and wholly disparate things, but the fact most of the judges are white ( or white-Asian ) and mostly over 50. DCI could use a younger judges perspective, and with frwag eyes and ears, and with perhaps more eclectic and younger tastes in musical genres.

I certainly don't care what color the judges are - let's face it the whole drum corps activity is pretty white

I do very much agree that they are TOO OLD and been around TOO LONG - some fresh blood would really help

So I agree a younger group with fresh eyes and a more current perspective with more varied background would benefit overall... it does seem like they are mixing in some new judges this year, hopefully that trend will continue

George Oliviero has spewed hate on The Cavaliers from back when I was a marching member until the present. Every time I think he reaches a new low he grabs a shovel and continues to dig a deeper hole.

I could understand this. Even though I didn't know he had a history of low-balling the Cavaliers I knew something was up in the recaps. No way in hell they were that low (10th?) in visual analysis. I compare his score with past shows even as close as Nashville where the cavaliers had somewhat of a bad draw and it looks like BS. God help them if he judges finals.

I certainly don't care what color the judges are - let's face it the whole drum corps activity is pretty white

I do very much agree that they are TOO OLD and been around TOO LONG - some fresh blood would really help

So I agree a younger group with fresh eyes and a more current perspective with more varied background would benefit overall... it does seem like they are mixing in some new judges this year, hopefully that trend will continue

true and the problem is people arent breaking doors down to take these jobs. They never have..but there are a few new people coming in. IF they stay, that was an issue also. Many I know just dont like that side of the activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

Actually, in the shows that counted, ( Prelims and Finals ) in the years you marched, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, George Oliviero evaluated the Cavaliers more than fairly, imo.

For example, in 1980, G. Oliviero judged Vis. Ana. in the Semi's and gave your Cavs a 7.00. He gave you a higher score than did G. Monterastelli did in this captiion in the Finals, which was a 6.80. Your Cavs finished 9th overall at Finals.

In 1981, the following year, G. Oliviero was one of the 2 M & M Judges and gave your Cavs a 9th, while your combined 2 judge M& M score placed your Cavs in 10th in this caption, and your Cavs finished 10th overall this season.

In 1982, G. Oliviero judged neither the Semi's nor the Finals, and your Cavs finished 11th at Finals, their lowest finish at Finals since this time.

In 1983, G. Oliviero likewise did not judge either the Semi's nor Finals, so he had little to do again with your Cavs overall placement at Finals of 9th this season either.ki

may i ask how many hours a day you spend looking up such information? do you have some sort of digital library in which you store dci trivia?