Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

I would take the simplicity of BD's ballad this year over "1000 notes a minute" -- any and every day of the week.

Crown's horn book this year reminds me of everything I hate about Christina Aguilera's singing. All those runs -- and for what? They aren't really adding anything.

Crown is usually so much more thoughtful about musicality than this. Bigger, louder, faster, higher = boring.

So....

Space Oddity

Interstellar Suite
Shadow Behind the Iron Sun
There's No Place Like Home from LOST
Major Tom
Perihelion
Vitae Aeternum
Those don't fit the concept of Crown's show this season? They're just notes for notes sake? (which btw would further imply that Klesch *added* all those notes to the arrangments).
Just curious.
As for "Bigger, louder, faster, higher = boring", I'd simply point out that the crowd in the Georgia dome seemed to be quite entertained -- not bored at all. Does that matter at all?
Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

I would take the simplicity of BD's ballad this year over "1000 notes a minute" -- any and every day of the week.

Crown's horn book this year reminds me of everything I hate about Christina Aguilera's singing. All those runs -- and for what? They aren't really adding anything.

Crown is usually so much more thoughtful about musicality than this. Bigger, louder, faster, higher = boring.

I guess I'm just plain wrong, then, to be so entertained and moved by it.

A critic's primary job is to write - that is what they're paid to do (they may be writing about theatre or film, but the definition of their job is "writer"). You'll discover that the vast majority of them have degrees in journalism or literature. Go ahead, look it up.

Their opinions may help a producer or company, but the ultimate success of theatrical productions rests in the show's ability to connect with audiences and sell tickets. Even in NY, a review is an appurtenance, not the only actual tool by which success is measured. There have been incredibly successful shows whose reviews were dreadful, and shows whose reviews were great but couldn't give seats away.

In drum corps, however, if a visual judge decides he or she just doesn't like something, the corps whose work fails to win favor DOES have their ultimate competitive success (and by extension, their financial well-being via placement-oriented performance fees) determined by an opinion that isn't based on any measurable scale. Big difference.

You point to a good distinction between the power of the drum corps judge and the power of the critic in other arts. (Although negative New York Times reviews have in fact killed some movies through the years, to the great dismay of other critics.) I cited the latter because you specifically referenced "a professional media review".

But to return to a point I made a couple days ago: if corps don't want judges to have such power, why don't they take it away?

A critic's primary job is to write - that is what they're paid to do (they may be writing about theatre or film, but the definition of their job is "writer"). You'll discover that the vast majority of them have degrees in journalism or literature. They're paid professionals, exercising their training to make their living.

Their opinions may help a producer or company, but the ultimate success of theatrical productions or films rests in the product's ability to connect with audiences and sell tickets. Even in NY, a review is an appurtenance, not the only actual tool by which success is measured. There have been incredibly successful shows whose reviews were dreadful, and shows whose reviews were great but couldn't give seats away.

In drum corps, however, if a visual judge decides he or she just doesn't like something, the corps whose work fails to win favor DOES have their ultimate competitive success (and by extension, their financial well-being via placement-oriented performance fees) determined by an opinion that isn't based on any measurable scale. Big difference.

You make some valid observations here... DCI does have a few judges whose training, experience, education, professional career can seem at odds with what they are doing judging in DCI. Its an imperfect system to be sure, but on the whole, by Finals Night, the season long exposure to dozens of multiple combinations of diverse judges across 30 some show competitions, does tend to have the Corps pretty much wind up where they should in the end.. certainly within a placement position anyway, imo. DCI needs younger judges, but we've already gone over that.

Edited by BRASSO

Well that was a whopper of a post.

Thanks , I had to think about it and write many drafts before that one:)

So....

Space Oddity

Interstellar Suite
Shadow Behind the Iron Sun
There's No Place Like Home from LOST
Major Tom
Perihelion
Vitae Aeternum
Those don't fit the concept of Crown's show this season? They're just notes for notes sake? (which btw would further imply that Klesch *added* all those notes to the arrangments).
Just curious.
As for "Bigger, louder, faster, higher = boring", I'd simply point out that the crowd in the Georgia dome seemed to be quite entertained -- not bored at all. Does that matter at all?

If I may, I think he was pointing out that it was bigger, louder, faster, higher just for the sake of being bigger, lounder, faster and higher. As if to prove they can do it. Sometimes ability can get in the way of more "throughtful" approach.

I remember a couple of years ago Crowns drill was performed so insanely fast that it was almost impossible to get into formation before they were frantically running to another. The design of the drill could not be appreciated because of this. And it seemed, to me, that they were performing at this pace just to prove they could do it. Crown's visual design team seems think they have to do everything they can do in one show. That's not a very mature attitude, imo.

Edited by Pes49
  • Like 1

I guess I'm just plain wrong, then, to be so entertained and moved by it.

of course you're not wrong. but the discussion wasn't about purely entertainment. Both are entertaining, one to some more than the other.

Thanks , I had to think about it and write many drafts before that one:)

well put.

• Like 1

If I may, I think he was pointing out that it was bigger, louder, faster, higher just for the sake of being bigger, lounder, faster and higher. As if to prove they can do it.

And I think I pointed out that the all of the music fits Crown's concept quite well. It's not "notes for notes sake". Seems thoughtful to me.