Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

If I may, I think he was pointing out that it was bigger, louder, faster, higher just for the sake of being bigger, lounder, faster and higher. As if to prove they can do it. Sometimes ability and get in the way of more "throughtful" approach.

I remember a couple of years ago Crowns drill was performed so insanely fast that it was almost impossible to get into formation before they were frantically running to another. The design of the drill could not be appreciated because of this. And it seemed, to me, that they were performing at this pace just to prove they could do it. Crown's visual design team seems think they have to do everything they can do in one show. That's not a very mature attitude, imo.

But that is exactly what corpsband is trying to argue. All those runs and stuff are within the source music already. It's wind band music. They're not adding that stuff in for the heck of it. It's already there.

• Like 1

But that is exactly what corpsband is trying to argue. All those runs and stuff are within the source music already. It's wind band music. They're not adding that stuff in for the heck of it. It's already there.

I understand your point and I'm familiar with the musical content, maybe it's that it seems forced in the way it is put together, to me at least. At times, it seems like musical exercises. Just to much candy for a nickel as my mother used to say. That's all, just an opinion.

I understand your point and I'm familiar with the musical content, maybe it's that it seems forced in the way it is put together, to me at least. At times, it seems like musical exercises. Just to much candy for a nickel as my mother used to say. That's all, just an opinion.

I think your argument should be that they should've chosen different source music, then; not that they are forcing it into the show. Otherwise, your argument is inaccurate.

Crown's horns are absolutely fantastic. I think that the music that they picked (which contains so many fast runs) demonstrates the same skill over and over and over again. I think that's where the 'notes for the sake of notes' comment comes from.

The staff picked music that demonstrates that skill - A LOT. It's not the only one they demonstrate, of course... but it's the one they repeat over and over again.

It's all just personal opinion, nothing that's bashing that magnificent hornline.

My .02, anyway.

• Like 1

the thing is we've heard very similar runs for a few years now from Crown - someone posted a practice link to Crown the other day and it sounded GREAT but the run literally sounded like it was taken from the For the Common Good show note for note

I think Crown fans are getting a little too defensive here - they are great, but maybe it is starting to come across a little redundant and picking music with runs in it for runs sake. Runs are great! But... my favorite part of their show is still the ballad lol

• Like 1

It's like some people recognize that Crown is doing stuff literally no one else is even trying to do but instead of saying "Wow I can't believe you're doing that" they're saying "Oh I wish you would stop showing off". That second response reeks of green eyed monsters I'm continually amazed by Crown's performers. Does the design team miss on some items -- sure. But they're out there trying stuff. We need more of that in drum corps.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

the thing is we've heard very similar runs for a few years now from Crown - someone posted a practice link to Crown the other day and it sounded GREAT but the run literally sounded like it was taken from the For the Common Good show note for note

I think Crown fans are getting a little too defensive here - they are great, but maybe it is starting to come across a little redundant and picking music with runs in it for runs sake. Runs are great! But... my favorite part of their show is still the ballad lol

If a corps has that kind of talent, it needs to be on display as much as possible.

• Like 4

If a corps has that kind of talent, it needs to be on display as much as possible.

there's a lot of ways to challenge them...

Disagree.

Klesch is probably the most hands-off arranger in drum corps. His arrangements always respect the original.

• Like 3

It's fine for you to say that is the way it strikes you.

The issue I have is that several posters this year have said something like 'Crown is playing a lot of notes just for the sake of playing them.' In addition to arrogantly suggesting they can speak for what is universally entertaining, they are essentially accusing Crown of sacrificing entertainment for whatever selfish reason they ascribe to them.

I can only say that if all these things are true, Crown has entertained the heck out of me this year, apparently quite by accident. :smile:

• Like 3