Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

Except for Lucas Oil isn't exactly a dome. I believe they have the roof open for Finals, don't they?

Except for Lucas Oil isn't exactly a dome. I believe they have the roof open for Finals, don't they?

HILARIOUS!

No, it's never been opened for Finals or any other DCI show. They were going to try opening the roof in 2010, I believe, but it was either too hot or too wet. There were also concerns that it would be unfair to have it open for some corps or closed for others (if necessitated by weather).

That the Indianapolis Finals have occurred under a roof has probably saved Finals, and maybe even lives, in one of the past few years, as on the same night as Finals several people were killed at an outdoor concert nearby (at the state fair?) when storm winds blew down some stage rigging.

However, that could be as much an argument against Indianapolis as in favor of an enclosed stadium. For a large part of the audience in Lucas Oil, the acoustics are terrible. Finals were never rained out in the first 36 years of DCI championships in other cities (although Scouts had to play in a downpour in 1993, and DCA Finals have had some especially wet weather on at least two occasions). And there are locations where it almost never storms in August.

And btw, the reason why we don't have 300 some odd corps in the country anymore is because it's become too expensive and VFW and American Legion halls can no longer afford it.

Has nothing to do with DCI.

Unless I've missed something, I don't believe the argument in this thread was that anything DCI did caused the number of corps to decrease. (Although that argument has certainly been made before.) Rather, the reduced number of corps was offered as evidence that drum corps as a whole isn't necessarily healthy or improving just because attendance is up at some shows. It's not even proof that attendance overall is up. If some bigger shows are doing well but there are fewer shows overall, it's quite possible that attendance is down from a decade ago. Since DCI isn't boasting about seasonal attendance, it seems pretty likely that it is in fact down.

So far, we haven't heard anyone complain about the acoustics in Atlanta. I wasn't there (for drum corps) but couldn't tell any problem via FanNetwork. We hear often about how bad Indy is, wonder why there, and not Atlanta?

The Atlanta show is the one show my family and I usually go to (silly me planned a vacation away from Atlanta this year for some reason). I love having a big show like that so close to us. So, don't take the following as a complaint -- but -- the acoustics are far from optimal, and are what one would expect inside a domed venue. I can't compare it directly to Lucas Oil, because I've never seen a show there, but it took us a few years to hone in on a preferred seating area to maximize our enjoyment (both aurally and visually). One thing I learned was to get seats on the "far" side of the 50 yard line (farthest away from the front entrance), to minimize sounds from the walkways coming down the portals. That sound bothers me as much as the echoey acoustics from the field.

The sound on the FN broadcast last night was MUCH clearer than what I've typically heard live at the GA Dome.

And don't forget, the GA Dome's years are probably numbered, as the locals are planning on building yet another indoor football stadium to replace it not too many years down the road.

No, it's never been opened for Finals or any other DCI show. They were going to try opening the roof in 2010, I believe, but it was either too hot or too wet. There were also concerns that it would be unfair to have it open for some corps or closed for others (if necessitated by weather).

That the Indianapolis Finals have occurred under a roof has probably saved Finals, and maybe even lives, in one of the past few years, as on the same night as Finals several people were killed at an outdoor concert nearby (at the state fair?) when storm winds blew down some stage rigging.

However, that could be as much an argument against Indianapolis as in favor of an enclosed stadium. For a large part of the audience in Lucas Oil, the acoustics are terrible. Finals were never rained out in the first 36 years of DCI championships in other cities (although Scouts had to play in a downpour in 1993, and DCA Finals have had some especially wet weather on at least two occasions). And there are locations where it almost never storms in August.

I would be willing to take that chance to be outdoors again.

And Lucas can open/close the roof in under 9 minutes. So the argument that people were killed at an outdoor fair by a freak of nature wind gust that was associated with a non-tornadic storm system doesn't hold water in an argument. Yes, it was a tragedy. But DCI and LOS officials have the capability to make decisions hours in advance of any impending weather. Let alone 9 minutes. But we've all been through these arguments before, so I'll stop right there.

You are absolutely spot on with the acoustics at Lucas though. Unless you're sitting in the right areas, your night could be ruined by the atrocious sectionalized layout of Lucas. This is reason enough for me to say it should at least be rotated to other cities on a bi-annual or even every 3 years or something basis. (And I am from Indianapolis!)

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 1

I would be willing to take that chance to be outdoors again.

And Lucas can open/close the roof in under 9 minutes. So the argument that people were killed at an outdoor fair by a freak of nature wind gust that was associated with a non-tornadic storm system doesn't hold water in an argument. Yes, it was a tragedy. But DCI and LOS officials have the capability to make decisions hours in advance of any impending weather. Let alone 9 minutes. But we've all been through these arguments before, so I'll stop right there.

You are absolutely spot on with the acoustics at Lucas though. Unless you're sitting in the right areas, your night could be ruined by the atrocious sectionalized layout of Lucas. This is reason enough for me to say it should at least be rotated to other cities on a bi-annual or even every 3 years or something basis. (And I am from Indianapolis!)

I've sat in 6 different sections so far at Lucas Oil (only two between the 40's) and I still have yet to find these areas that are absolutely atrocious. Granted I haven't sat past the 20's either so maybe that could be a big reason too. Is the sound perfect? Of course not, but it's no where close to bad enough for me to not go back year after year.

After this year, my number will be at 8 so we'll see if that changes my perspective at all...

8? Finals has only been at Lucas since 2009 (5 years).

Did you come for ISSMA or BOA?

oops

Edited by bluesman