Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

It isn't the 9 minutes that's the issue -- it's the several hours that it then takes to cool all the now-trapped warm air.

And, who cares? If fans are already sitting in the sun/heat, then the air conditioning will be an added bonus, even if it takes a few hours to get cooler. It's not going to get HOTTER with it closing due to weather.

If this is really a big deal, then people are really just pulling at strings to find reasons why we shouldn't open it. I'm just upset that DCI sold everyone on it because of the open air concept and they blatantly said they would make EVERY ATTEMPT to open it.

Forget Lucas Oil, we should rename it Snake Oil for DCI championship week.

The LOS stadium debate will never end

The last few years it has been wicked hot and humid with some horrible thunderstorms during the week - even a stage collapsed near the stadium on fans at an outdoor concert

The closed roof, controlled conditions and AC have been a godsend

IMHO

• Like 2

The LOS stadium debate will never end

The last few years it has been wicked hot and humid with some horrible thunderstorms during the week - even a stage collapsed near the stadium on fans at an outdoor concert

The closed roof, controlled conditions and AC have been a godsend

IMHO

Dumbest argument ever. Sorry, George. I like you, but this is my stance.

It wasn't thunderstorming in all 50 states that night. Finals went on without a hitch for 36 years (ok, maybe ONE hitch in all those years). There are measures you can take to work around bad weather even if that became an issue. DCI is 95% outdoors during the summer as it is. 2012 it was sub-80 degrees and a clear perfect night. Last year it was above 80 during the day. Big deal? So for every time an argument was posted about the incident at an outdoor fair with very very old stage rigging, there are 5 other arguments for great weather.

The point remains they have the capability to open the roof, but they have made no attempt. Even though they sold the idea to every one of their FoDCI donors before moving to Lucas. That's what bugs me the most, they haven't kept their end of the bargain to even attempt doing it. I'm also not saying it isn't a nice facility with the roof closed, because it is. It simply could be better.

Edited by IMcomguy

Dumbest argument ever. Sorry, George. I like you, but this is my stance.

It wasn't thunderstorming in all 50 states that night. Finals went on without a hitch for 36 years (ok, maybe ONE hitch in all those years). There are measures you can take to work around bad weather even if that became an issue. DCI is 95% outdoors during the summer as it is.

oh I'm sorry I thought you were talking about opening the roof

1. it rained and was extremely hot last year in Indy - so I for one was glad the roof was closed

2. have you heard the acoustics of LOS with the roof open? I have and the sound all vanishes straight up

ok man - I don't care. It is what it is

I think a lot of drum corps people whine for the sake of whining - there, I said it

The issue with the stadium is it is a crappy stadium with chopped up seating

But it does have the advantage of AC and a controlled environment - and essentially free rent for DCI

• Like 1

ok man - I don't care. It is what it is

I think a lot of drum corps people whine for the sake of whining - there, I said it

The issue with the stadium is it is a crappy stadium with chopped up seating

But it does have the advantage of AC and a controlled environment - and essentially free rent for DCI

The advantage of AC becomes a disadvantage if you're there actually trying to listen to a corps. The AC system is very noisy to those in the upper decks, where the balance is best. If comfort is an important consideration, then the best vantage point to hear the competition is via the webcast - the live mix is very good. Nothing beats an open stadium on a cool, dry evening with a breeze, as we enjoyed at Cajun Field last week. But LOS is a decent compromise to ensure weather doesn't interfere.

- The Troll

Edited by drangin

oh I'm sorry I thought you were talking about opening the roof

1. it rained and was extremely hot last year in Indy - so I for one was glad the roof was closed

2. have you heard the acoustics of LOS with the roof open? I have and the sound all vanishes straight up

2011 storm at indy...if not inside it would never have continued

Good point. I'd imagine that one couldn't do the Can Can as well if strings were attached, so maybe they're saying "We can do the Can Can so well because there are no strings attached"? (Yes, I'm reaching.)

I finally just watched PC's Atlanta performance after having seen them live twice this week; prior to that, I hadn't seen it since one of the early-season Fan Network videos. Knowing the show a little better, I can say that the multicam editing is pretty bad. Most notably, there is a key "story" moment late in PC's show, during the Can Can, that the camera never gives one close-up. The second DM "sneaks" across the front sideline (in an exaggerated way the audience is meant to notice), climbs up to the DM stand with a giant pair of scissors, and cilps each of the "puppet" DM's strings, upon which the "puppet" dances the Can Can himself. All of this is visible, in the multicam video, only from the high cam position.