DCI and WGI composing salaries

Yes, at first when I heard this I thought no way. Maybe it is somewhat possible if he has a small business with some shadow writers, and they gross that amount, but still the number is high.

Let it go. The answer is no. Leave it at that. No buts, maybes, somewhats, ifs, none of that. No one makes 900k doing that. And stop sniveling that people are being mean to you. You aren't taking no for an answer, and people are reacting to that. Nothing more than that.

Let it go. The answer is no. Leave it at that. No buts, maybes, somewhats, ifs, none of that. No one makes 900k doing that. And stop sniveling that people are being mean to you. You aren't taking no for an answer, and people are reacting to that. Nothing more than that.

My point exactly. Ok boss! Captain!

...not to pick nits with your numbers but I know a guy out here in SoCal that does 30-35 HS band drills a year (I'm sure he does *other* pageantry units also...world wide) we've discussed his technique before ('cuz, man, he's very fast...) and of course he has a system. Like I do with zillions of photos, or repetitive handwork while fabricating stuff both on the job and in my shop. After years of doing something there're plenty of opportunities to use a template here and there, actually on disc or just out of der noggin...he never seems too stressed! Hahaha, but he sure ain't makin' 900K! (although I can see that possibility for a high-end guy)...oh, and he and another writer I'm familiar with charge per performer, but it certainly isn't 100 bux, either...

thanks for not picking nits. I won't either. So what does the guy who does repetitive drill who also templates it earn each year. My estimated numbers were based on a $900K figure at &12k - $20k per show. Extrapolating some numbers and time, I am only saying this isn't really feasible. Whomever is telling this young kid (an assumption on my part) that a particular drill writer is making that amount of money is pulling his leg. I know of a DC who years ago had a significant payroll forcstaff. How many on staff got paid I don't know. What compensation was for paid staff is also not known to me. But I do know their employment was truly treated as employment with taxes taken along with soc sec. Truly paid like a typical job. I would guess even with paid staff the corps didn't reach a $900k payroll. It is possible they now do.

thanks for not picking nits. I won't either. So what does the guy who does repetitive drill who also templates it earn each year. My estimated numbers were based on a $900K figure at &12k - $20k per show. Extrapolating some numbers and time, I am only saying this isn't really feasible. Whomever is telling this young kid (an assumption on my part) that a particular drill writer is making that amount of money is pulling his leg. I know of a DC who years ago had a significant payroll forcstaff. How many on staff got paid I don't know. What compensation was for paid staff is also not known to me. But I do know their employment was truly treated as employment with taxes taken along with soc sec. Truly paid like a typical job. I would guess even with paid staff the corps didn't reach a $900k payroll. It is possible they now do.

you can check DCI groups gross income via their tax forms on the internet. Blue Devils gross about $4.5 million a year I think, Blue Stars is around $900k, etc, etc. Arcadia HS is around $600k. This is all open to the public.

Edited by snarekid33

you can check DCI groups gross income via their tax forms on the internet. Blue Devils gross about $4.5 million a year I think, Blue Stars is around $900k, etc, etc. Arcadia HS is around $600k. This is all open to the public.

You mean their 990s? You can asks Garfield about those. There's a complete thread about them here on DCP if you care to look.

Lets just go ahead and assume the absolute best designer in the country gets paid 20k per project. That, in and of itself, is absurd, but lets go with that. In order to make nearly a million dollar salary, he'd have to complete 45 projects per year. That means that there are 45 bands out there willing and able to pay 20k for show design. That means he's turning out one of those projects in a little over 8 days, assuming he works every single day of the year. That's an absurd work flow, even for the best of writers. That's not even to mention that the time of the year available to write at that level is limited, since most marching bands won't know their final numbers until May, and will need their shows by August/September. Drum corps and indoor have similar timing demands. That also would mean that this person's name is now on 45 extremely highly funded products in the marching arts. There's a limit on the number of programs that can/will pay that much for design, and if this person is writing for 45 of them, then you'd likely be seeing a ridiculously high percentage of them written by the same person. Considering roughly 100 bands go to BOA, and those are the groups likely to be paying that much, you'd be talking about at least half of finals designed by the same person (and that's probably conservative).

There are guys who work a lot, but this person we just described does not exist.

Please do not muddle the thread with logic.

Yes, at first when I heard this I thought no way. Maybe it is somewhat possible if he has a small business with some shadow writers, and they gross that amount, but still the number is high.

And don't forget his Amway franchise. It's network marketing, not a pyramid scheme!!!

I taught one year at a HS in New York and we were paid by the distict. We had to submit a background check and fingerprinting if we wanted to get paid. I do recall there being some cash from the boosters as well to help pay for the techs but the main positions were cut actual checks from the district.

As far as salaries go in this activity I can tell you our highest paid people on staff were the bringing in $5000/year for composing and drill writing each. Without any sort of teaching. The drum arranger made the same but also taught the entire season. I really don't know what drumcorps salaries are but I can imagine they are in the same ballpark. Also this was 10 years ago, so it's probably bumped up a little by now.

I've worked for systems like this as well. I had to be a "county employee" to interact with the kids. The checks came from the school system. However, the school system was reimbursed by the boosters. System money was not used for my salary. They just wanted instructors to be on the system payroll for liability and insurance reasons.

The salaries for designers (based off the current salary ranges in this thread) hasn't seemed to change much for a long time. I used to teach in the early 90's and could make approximately $2000-$3,000 for writing the guard book for a pretty good marching band.

I wrote for a top 15 drum corps in the early 90's too and would make about $1,000.

I work in compensation now as my career and am interested in what kind of "bonuses" or "salary increases" some of these staff members receive on an annual basis. I would be curious if there was any bonus pay if a designers team wins.

But 900k please.